Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 03:51 PM

654 posts, read 2,120,023 times

Advertisements

I recently had some water leak through the foundation in my basement. I noticed that the chimney is on the other side of the wall. I am thinking the water may be from the chimney when it rains. Does anyone know of a good reputable chimney repair service? I am in Commack.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 04:06 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,540,174 times
Chimney chief in Smithtown.....ask for John. Very good but a bit pricey. You get what you pay for. Do you have a rain cap ?

Old 02-08-2010, 04:29 AM

654 posts, read 2,120,023 times
Yes. I do have a rain cap. There are some loose bricks up top. That may be the casue too. Thank you for the recommendation.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:51 AM

33 posts, read 111,235 times
HM MAINTENANCE SERVICE
Home (http://hm-maintenance-service.net/default.aspx - broken link)

Ask for Harry. Very good service, reasonably priced.

Old 04-14-2010, 05:23 PM

852 posts, read 2,017,180 times
Hey - someone asked for pictures of my screwy chimney that leaks something. Here are two pictures from Flickr. What do you think is up here?

The first picture shows a metal cap on an old hole through which ran a pipe from a wood stove. The terra cotta pipe doesn't seem broken anywhere; I took out the old patch on this pipe just last year and re-sealed it. Once the furnace started running again, I started getting this white patches from the chimney cement that I used.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2709/...853a26dc_b.jpg

This second picture is very puzzling. The chimney didn't do this the first or second year. Only in this third winter did it start to "sweat" or "leak" this tannish fluid - through the mortar.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2690/...2516c4c0_b.jpg

I don't know what is up. Any thoughts?

Old 04-14-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPool1998 View Post
Hey - someone asked for pictures of my screwy chimney that leaks something. Here are two pictures from Flickr. What do you think is up here?

The first picture shows a metal cap on an old hole through which ran a pipe from a wood stove. The terra cotta pipe doesn't seem broken anywhere; I took out the old patch on this pipe just last year and re-sealed it. Once the furnace started running again, I started getting this white patches from the chimney cement that I used.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2709/...853a26dc_b.jpg

This second picture is very puzzling. The chimney didn't do this the first or second year. Only in this third winter did it start to "sweat" or "leak" this tannish fluid - through the mortar.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2690/...2516c4c0_b.jpg

I don't know what is up. Any thoughts?
My guess is that the water is just on that one side of the chimney? Alot less or nothing on the other side?

First pic is of a "pie plate" ....it covers an opening (breach) in the chimney that was for a wood stove (most likely). What is it made of?

Old 04-22-2010, 01:27 PM

Default Liner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
My guess is that the water is just on that one side of the chimney? Alot less or nothing on the other side?

First pic is of a "pie plate" ....it covers an opening (breach) in the chimney that was for a wood stove (most likely). What is it made of?
I was disappointed that I didn't get more replies with the picture links provided. I had two people come out and look at it and give me estimates. The first, a name I got off of City Data, told me the brick was old and porous. This was causing the moisture to build up between the brick and the terra cotta lining.

The second told me that the newer (2 year old) hotter burning furnace was creating moisture in the chimney and that it was working its way through the terra cotta seems.

I'm, inclined to believe that person #2 is correct, though I'm getting two more estimates. I have a very simple cape cod style home with a straight chimney. What is a reasonable charge for lining and insulation?

Old 04-22-2010, 06:19 PM

DEed Pool.....you did not answer my questions above.....

Old 04-22-2010, 06:43 PM

Default Sorry....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post

1) There is a yellowish ooze coming out of two sides, either side of the pie plate. A lot less.

2) Pie plate is made of galvanized metal - same stuff air duct is made from. The year before that, the hole was closed by an old Folgers can. I think the Folgers can lasted for many years before I had the new furnace (gas) installed.

After the new furnace was installed, this problem started. I don't know if the two are related. Maybe. Maybe not.

Old 04-23-2010, 05:16 AM

Is that ceiling around it pitched or flat.

The breach in the chimney needs to be properly sealed with masonry. I would do that and get the chimney cleaned. Get the loose bricks fixed and ensure the chimney crown is sealed. What is happening is that water or condensation is mixing with flue gas and making a weak sufuric acid.

Bricks are porous and do absorb water. Are any of your bricks crumbling? They do make a sealer that resists water penetration but allows water to escape the chimney. Its expensive but great stuff if you need it. Its call Chimney saver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island