Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 11:16 AM

1,214 posts, read 3,642,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Sorry Andrea but besides the commute, coram and especially the northern parts are very nice with barely any crime. The only people that usually put down the town are ones that don't live near it, or are going based on reputation of gordon heights and the area from the 80's. It would be like me telling you how the areas near Kansas City,Missouri are now even though I haven't been there since 1993 when I was in the Air Force. The areas are good and safe for shopping, they have added a park by the northwest corner of 112(west of 83), they totally redid the pine shopping center, added new stores, have redone and are still redoing and widening the roads,and are improving the schools all the time. When I was in high school,Longwood had a horrible reputation but it has been getting better and better. It might not be one of the elite districts but is surely is not one of the lesser ones either.As for the co-ops and condos in the north isle area,he can probably get one for $80-120k easily. Also there are no sexual offenders nearby. The closest one in Coram is in the rental complex off old town rd. which is about 1.5-2 miles away. Most areas can't say that.
I still stand by what I said. Prices reflect the area. Period.

The poster needs to take pricing into consideration. When it's time to put a property up for resale, he'll get his money back and then some if he's buying in a better area. Besides the investment factor, living in an area with more to do and geographically better situated would be my choice. Each to his own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 11:39 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,334,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
Is it as simple as this Andrea ?

In the past yr....
Coram median sales are as follows.... (yes this is entire Coram)
Co-op Condo = $215K
Residential = $280K

Rocky Point median sales...
Co-op Condo = $94K
Residential = $252K

So I am not sure what is the point you are making....
Hey I am not saying jump into Coram at all, but I'm just saying that unless you are a realtor or in the business and have extensive experience in both towns (probably rare) its hard to compare apples and apples.
Moreover your logic is disputing the actual sales data.

Note: The data was compiled from listingbook.com

Old 04-28-2010, 11:45 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,140,088 times
Over the last 5-7 years Coram has built a golf course,new ball fields,a new park,a 55 and over complex behind the pine shopping center, redone the pine shopping center,currently redoing route 112 east and west of 83. Also if you buy into North Isle, they are currently very reasonably priced in a down market. So answer this: with nice quiet areas and lots of improvements going on and a potential buyer wanting to sell in 3+ years; where would you buy? Would you buy in a stable area or in a safe and improving area that is closer to the major highways? Common sense I believe. Not a knock on Rocky Point but just a wiser choice. I still do believe that the OP should visit both.

Last edited by Lancet71; 04-28-2010 at 11:57 AM..

Old 04-28-2010, 11:46 AM

12 posts, read 33,951 times
I like Huntington Village and have spent a good deal of time there with my wife and friends. But the coop options are out of my price range as I am looking for a rental alternative and not a primary home and have significant costs for our primary home in which will continue to be our primary residence. I don't want to spend much more than $1,500 per month (and less is batter) with utilities included, which leaves effectively Coram, Rocky Point and North or West Babylon as the best viable options that I've explored for affordable coops after driving by and viewing properties in many, many other areas in Nassau and Suffolk Countries and even Queens. I am sure there are many other wonderful areas that I am not considering due to cost, congestion, taxes, crime, and quality of life issues, including travel time.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:51 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,140,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post

The poster needs to take pricing into consideration. When it's time to put a property up for resale, he'll get his money back and then some if he's buying in a better area. Besides the investment factor, living in an area with more to do and geographically better situated would be my choice. Each to his own.
Both are reasonably close (within 10 minutes of each other) but the prices in RP haven't been moving as well unless you are taking homes that were built recently. As for your private message to me about Bretton Woods,I like the area but prices are high and common charges are a little steep too. Also that area is right by the lesser areas because BW is off mooney pond road. North Isle is about 3 miles north of here. If you drove 3 miles from the edge of Coram you can go past Selden,Centereach and be in Lake Grove; so it's not close.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:15 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,642,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
. As for your private message to me about Bretton Woods,.
I haven't sent you any private messages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island