Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 11:59 PM

12 posts, read 33,941 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks,

I would really appreciate some feedback on the relative merit of Rocky Point vs. North Coram. I own a home out of the area and would like to purchase an inexpensive coop as an alternative to renting now that prices are almost rational again to use during the academic year. I am a university professor who will need to commute to Nassau County (I know, I know, but I only have to go in two or three time a week outside of rush hour and yes, I've made the drive in the rain and light snow several times as test runs). I do not like anything I can afford in Nassau County as a second home, and I especially like Rocky Point because it is a kinder, gentler place in comparison to areas closer to the city, and of course, much more affordable. (I'm prefer the country and quaint small towns with friendly, genuine people.)

I've looked at the small coops by the high school and middle school but know little about who actually lives there. It seems quiet, but I know a good number of these are rented and alway worry about renters with absentee landlords as potential neighbors. I have a heavy research workload and need a quiet place to work free of perpetually barking dogs and screaming kids. (I like kids and dogs, but in large, noisy quantities neither is conducive to good writing.) I've also looked at North Isle Village where some affordable 2 br 2 ba coops are available. i don't want a house at this point as maintenance is an issue during long periods of absence, and cost is an issue as well.

Travel is an issue, but I am willing to have a 50 minute to hour and ten minute commute or so (in good weather). I don't know if there are any public beaches in RP, or if the cost for the owner's association access is worth it for someone who will likely spend four months of the year our of the area, including most of the summer. I've also looked at North Babylon, which is convenient to work but too congested. (I've lived in the city for much of my life and find it a nice place to visit but not a good place to live, and feel much the some about most of LI, for what it's worth.)

I'm looking for good quality of life in a safe area. Schools are not an issue, other than for resale value when upgrading down stream in 3-5 years. I''d appreciate any feedback you would care to share.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 05:04 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,702,873 times
I pass those co-ops all the time. They do appear to be quiet, clean and calm. I have heard that one of the restrictions there is that you can not own a 4 wheel drive. Not sure if that is true but you don't see any parked in there.

Other than that...don't know much about them.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:49 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
I pass those co-ops all the time. They do appear to be quiet, clean and calm. I have heard that one of the restrictions there is that you can not own a 4 wheel drive. Not sure if that is true but you don't see any parked in there.

Other than that...don't know much about them.

We dont have any real issues in the RP Co-Ops. As for them being rented out, thats news to me. Ive actually heard the opposite in terms of buying as an investment to rent. The board is fairly stringent(no SUVs) so Id be surprised if theres any nonsense in there. It would never fly anyway being across from the schools and all.

They border the preserve so you can Bike/Hike right in from your CoOp, walk to the stores or the HS track and tennis courts.

Your investment should be strong in RP schools, floor unit, 2 beds usually do best.

Welcome to the area.

Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 04-28-2010 at 05:58 AM..

Old 04-28-2010, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profdl View Post
Hi Folks,

I would really appreciate some feedback on the relative merit of Rocky Point vs. North Coram. I own a home out of the area and would like to purchase an inexpensive coop as an alternative to renting now that prices are almost rational again to use during the academic year. I am a university professor who will need to commute to Nassau County (I know, I know, but I only have to go in two or three time a week outside of rush hour and yes, I've made the drive in the rain and light snow several times as test runs). I do not like anything I can afford in Nassau County as a second home, and I especially like Rocky Point because it is a kinder, gentler place in comparison to areas closer to the city, and of course, much more affordable. (I'm prefer the country and quaint small towns with friendly, genuine people.)

I've looked at the small coops by the high school and middle school but know little about who actually lives there. It seems quiet, but I know a good number of these are rented and alway worry about renters with absentee landlords as potential neighbors. I have a heavy research workload and need a quiet place to work free of perpetually barking dogs and screaming kids. (I like kids and dogs, but in large, noisy quantities neither is conducive to good writing.) I've also looked at North Isle Village where some affordable 2 br 2 ba coops are available. i don't want a house at this point as maintenance is an issue during long periods of absence, and cost is an issue as well.

Travel is an issue, but I am willing to have a 50 minute to hour and ten minute commute or so (in good weather). I don't know if there are any public beaches in RP, or if the cost for the owner's association access is worth it for someone who will likely spend four months of the year our of the area, including most of the summer. I've also looked at North Babylon, which is convenient to work but too congested. (I've lived in the city for much of my life and find it a nice place to visit but not a good place to live, and feel much the some about most of LI, for what it's worth.)

I'm looking for good quality of life in a safe area. Schools are not an issue, other than for resale value when upgrading down stream in 3-5 years. I''d appreciate any feedback you would care to share.

Thanks.

Its a friendly little town, the beaches are all private but the cost to join is small and in my opinion well worth it if youre going to be here all Summer.
North Shore Beach Property Owners Association of Rocky Point, NY

Keep in mind you can always drive to Cedar Beach in Mt Sinai or for the ocean, Smiths Point in Shirley.

Feel free to DM me with any specifics.

Good luck

Crooks

Old 04-28-2010, 06:12 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
Just some advice....if the co-ops are stacked..meaning there are first and second floor units...buy a second floor unit.

Ever have kids above you when your on the first floor? Not fun.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Just some advice....if the co-ops are stacked..meaning there are first and second floor units...buy a second floor unit.

Ever have kids above you when your on the first floor? Not fun.

Good point Rocs

Some folks hate the stairs though and prefer the patio.
Lowers seem to come at a small premium.

Best

Crooks

Old 04-28-2010, 06:36 AM

311 posts, read 1,019,301 times
You are going to have much better resale value in the North Coram section. If you do a search on Rocky Point you will see the town has been in the news on numerous occasions over the last few months due to crimes.

Not that there isn't crime everywhere, but Rocky Point seems to be taking a downturn. It is also MUCH more out of the way in regards to getting to any major highways...though that may be a positive to you.

There are also a lot of old bungalows in the area, which overshadow the "nicer" homes. I know you are not looking to buy a house, but to get an idea of the areas, go to MLSLI and look at houses in Rocky Point vs those in the North Coram area. Big difference.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucew View Post
You are going to have much better resale value in the North Coram section. If you do a search on Rocky Point you will see the town has been in the news on numerous occasions over the last few months due to crimes.

Not that there isn't crime everywhere, but Rocky Point seems to be taking a downturn. It is also MUCH more out of the way in regards to getting to any major highways...though that may be a positive to you.

There are also a lot of old bungalows in the area, which overshadow the "nicer" homes. I know you are not looking to buy a house, but to get an idea of the areas, go to MLSLI and look at houses in Rocky Point vs those in the North Coram area. Big difference.

I know you have a beef with me but are you really suggesting that Corams a better investment than Rocky Point?
Lets let that marinate for a little while ...shall we?

As for a downturn, Ill assume you werent here in the 80s?

I think OPs observations on the area were spot on ...but to each his own.

Crooks

PS

Theres no such thing as North Coram, South Setauket or Unicorns.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:04 AM

311 posts, read 1,019,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
I know you have a beef with me but are you really suggesting that Corams a better investment than Rocky Point?
Lets let that marinate for a little while ...shall we?

As for a downturn, Ill assume you werent here in the 80s?

I think OPs observations on the area were spot on ...but to each his own.

Crooks

PS

Theres no such thing as North Coram, South Setauket or Unicorns.
There is certainly a big difference in Coram between the area the OP was talking about versus the areas right off Middle Country Road.

And YES, I would say that area of Coram is a much better long term investment in regards to potential resale value than Rocky Point....absolutely. Do you even pay attention to what is going on in your hometown?

Old 04-28-2010, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucew View Post
There is certainly a big difference in Coram between the area the OP was talking about versus the areas right off Middle Country Road.

And YES, I would say that area of Coram is a much better long term investment in regards to potential resale value than Rocky Point....absolutely. Do you even pay attention to what is going on in your hometown?
Really Coram

Who knew.

Ok then.
http://www.co.suffolk.ny.us/Health%20Services/coramdir.pdf (broken link)
http://www.city-data.com/so/so-Coram-New-York.html

Last edited by Crookhaven; 04-28-2010 at 08:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island