Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think about Kathleen Rice attempting to move on already?
I support her and want her to stay the DA of Nassau 1 6.25%
I support her and would vote for her for NYS AG 3 18.75%
I do not support her and would prefer her to disappear from public office altogether 11 68.75%
Cuomo has not announced a bid for NYS Governor yet; what’s the hurry? 2 12.50%
She’s barely been reelected! The taxpayers are being cheated. Now we have to pay her while she runs all over the State NOT doing her job! 2 12.50%
Other 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 12:13 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,299,020 times

Advertisements

So how does everyone feel about this?

I wonder who is going to be "minding the store" (aka doing the job of the Nassau County DA) while she's gallivanting around the state campaigning. Kinda reminiscent of Suozzi's gallivanting in the past.

Here's a poll. You can choose more than one choice. If you have other ideas, please choose "other" and write them in a post. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 12:38 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,704,471 times
What is the point of doing a poll that is so biased by your own political beliefs?. It's worthless.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
What is the point of doing a poll that is so biased by your own political beliefs?. It's worthless.
Sure, I believe all three of these things simultaneously:

I support her and want her to stay the DA of Nassau

I support her and would vote for her for NYS AG

I do not support her and would prefer her to disappear from public office altogether

Old 05-04-2010, 01:02 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,455,621 times
I will support Rice in her run for AG

As far as her seeking higher office shortly after being reelected, I really don't have much of a problem with it. When you are seeking higher office and want to be a serious candidate you generally need to be serving some type of elected off, an exception would be if you had Bloomberg type $$$.

Also I think another key factor is if she didn't jump at the chance of AG now, she might not get another one for awhile. Most AG's will serve more than one term, and considering the fact the Dems will likely win the slot (not only is NY a heavily Democratic state, but the GOP's bench is brutal) which means the AG slot likely would not open up again for at least eight years.

Old 05-04-2010, 01:16 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,758,239 times
seriously, what are the day to day duties of a county DA? I'm going to assume (please correct me if I'm wrong) that most of her job consists of making decisions. In other words, she doesn't do any actual "work" so a large portion of her job can be done remotely.

Old 05-04-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
seriously, what are the day to day duties of a county DA? I'm going to assume (please correct me if I'm wrong) that most of her job consists of making decisions. In other words, she doesn't do any actual "work" so a large portion of her job can be done remotely.
Perhaps we should offshore her job to India then if it can be done remotely. I am sure someone doing customer service for Dell Computers has a law degree and we can steal them away from Dell for fractions of pennies on the dollar. [Relax -- I am being sarcastic!]

Well in terms of trying cases, you've definitely got a point there. She doesn't have to be in the courtroom everyday.

But do you think that Nassau DA is really an easy part-time job?

When Suozzi was campaigning for NYS office at the same time he was Nassau CE, did you think the same thing about his ability to do both things?

Do you think she should step down while she is campaigning (including step down from being paid as Nassau DA) and let her second in command be the acting DA?

Old 05-04-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
I will support Rice in her run for AG

As far as her seeking higher office shortly after being reelected, I really don't have much of a problem with it. When you are seeking higher office and want to be a serious candidate you generally need to be serving some type of elected off, an exception would be if you had Bloomberg type $$$.

Also I think another key factor is if she didn't jump at the chance of AG now, she might not get another one for awhile. Most AG's will serve more than one term, and considering the fact the Dems will likely win the slot (not only is NY a heavily Democratic state, but the GOP's bench is brutal) which means the AG slot likely would not open up again for at least eight years.
Good points ... but do you think she should step down while she is campaigning (including step down from being paid as Nassau DA) and let her second in command be the acting DA? I think that is what would be fair to the taxpayers of Nassau County, although I know it will not happen because politicians do this all the time when they are seeking another office (for reasons similar to what you cited above).

PS: Why do you think she would make a good NYS AG? What qualities and characteristics do you like about her?

Old 05-04-2010, 01:48 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,758,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Perhaps we should offshore her job to India then if it can be done remotely. I am sure someone doing customer service for Dell Computers has a law degree and we can steal them away from Dell for fractions of pennies on the dollar. [Relax -- I am being sarcastic!]

Well in terms of trying cases, you've definitely got a point there. She doesn't have to be in the courtroom everyday.

But do you think that Nassau DA is really an easy part-time job?

When Suozzi was campaigning for NYS office at the same time he was Nassau CE, did you think the same thing about his ability to do both things?

Do you think she should step down while she is campaigning (including step down from being paid as Nassau DA) and let her second in command be the acting DA?
Part time? No. Easy? Well that depends on how you define "easy". It's probably easier than being an air traffic controller...or somebody that lugs furniture around all day. Obviously her level of "responsiblity" is greater than than average job however...and that's where it gets tricky. Again, without knowing what her typical day-to-day activities are...it's hard for me or anyone else to know for sure if she's in neglect of her duties. If her job mostly consists of sitting in her office all day making various decisions and "administrating"...I'm pretty confident she can do that via cell phone if necessary for stretches of time.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:08 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,455,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Good points ... but do you think she should step down while she is campaigning (including step down from being paid as Nassau DA) and let her second in command be the acting DA? I think that is what would be fair to the taxpayers of Nassau County, although I know it will not happen because politicians do this all the time when they are seeking another office (for reasons similar to what you cited above).

PS: Why do you think she would make a good NYS AG? What qualities and characteristics do you like about her?
In theory I think its a good idea, but in reality not really. What it could wind up doing is resulting in even more influence by the very wealthy. It could also reduce the chances of an upstart candidate from getting involved in the first place.

As far as what I like about her, quite a few things. One big one is her drunk driving stance, the way she handled the Katie Flynn case was excellent. Also the way the whole Terace Ave situation in Hempstead was dealt with. The 2nd chance for some non-violent drug offenders I thought was rather innovative and has seemed to be quite successful. The area while still having its problems seems to have been cleaned up quite a bit, and iirc something like only one or two of them have been arrested again

Old 05-04-2010, 03:54 PM

939 posts, read 1,844,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
In theory I think its a good idea, but in reality not really. What it could wind up doing is resulting in even more influence by the very wealthy. It could also reduce the chances of an upstart candidate from getting involved in the first place.

As far as what I like about her, quite a few things. One big one is her drunk driving stance, the way she handled the Katie Flynn case was excellent. Also the way the whole Terace Ave situation in Hempstead was dealt with. The 2nd chance for some non-violent drug offenders I thought was rather innovative and has seemed to be quite successful. The area while still having its problems seems to have been cleaned up quite a bit, and iirc something like only one or two of them have been arrested again
Gee, you must have missed the part where she dismissed her most senior prosecutors (including the leading homicide prosecutor) just because they didn't happen to be Democrats. And then she spent lots of time wondering why her "dream team" was losing case after case after case (not misdemeanor DWIs, but serious felonies.) Another Democrat who doesn't care about Nassau County -- only about advancing her own political career. Sounds like someone else we both know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: