Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 02:38 PM

8 posts, read 12,277 times

Advertisements

Hello to everybody!
I'm a french guy, living in paris. I've always wanted to live in LA, and actually France is not very interresting for me. So i wanted to go to LA, find a little job in a french restaurant close to the beach in areas like marina del rey or venice and spend few times in here! I wanted to have american opinions about a plan like that. Do you think that it's possible to find a job or like a friend of mine said to me california is full of unemployment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 02:39 PM

8 posts, read 12,277 times
If anyone have advices or contacts it would be nice

Old 08-01-2010, 02:59 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkawa View Post
Hello to everybody!
I'm a french guy, living in paris. I've always wanted to live in LA, and actually France is not very interresting for me. So i wanted to go to LA, find a little job in a french restaurant close to the beach in areas like marina del rey or venice and spend few times in here! I wanted to have american opinions about a plan like that. Do you think that it's possible to find a job or like a friend of mine said to me california is full of unemployment?
I think the first thing you need to do is talk to the Embassy. You can not come to America without a work visa. And yes, Ca is full of unemployed right now, even restaurant jobs are hard to find. That being said, do talk to the Embassy. It might also help if you visited Ca a few times.

Nita

Old 08-01-2010, 03:54 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,240,055 times
My opinion is it's a bad plan and you will never do it.

Old 08-02-2010, 04:37 AM

485 posts, read 1,704,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
My opinion is it's a bad plan and you will never do it.

Wow, why so bitter? How do you know what someone will or will never do?? I don't think this is the best of plans, but this type of attitude is uncalled for.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:16 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsystar View Post
Wow, why so bitter? How do you know what someone will or will never do?? I don't think this is the best of plans, but this type of attitude is uncalled for.
Ceece said it because we see enough posters on here with similar ideas and we know most of them never follow through. A few do, when that happens it can be disaster. Ceece (who I don't even know) is a good poster and rarely negative without a good reason.

Nita

Old 08-02-2010, 05:37 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,961,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Ceece (who I don't even know) is a good poster and rarely negative without a good reason.
Fontucky, on the other hand...

Old 08-02-2010, 05:54 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,961,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkawa View Post
So i wanted to go to LA, find a little job in a french restaurant close to the beach in areas like marina del rey or venice and spend few times in here! I wanted to have american opinions about a plan like that. Do you think that it's possible to find a job or like a friend of mine said to me california is full of unemployment?
You might have to expand your horizons inland, as "working in a French restaurant" and "close to the beach" might not be doable in this economy. Sounds like a noble endeavor to me, but do your homework before making the journey.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:47 AM

1,084 posts, read 3,289,437 times
Being French will definitely help you getting employment at a French restaurant one would think. If you can get the whole Visa thing sorted out.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:52 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,796,338 times
getting permission to work is virtually impossible...how do you think you're going to swing that? To work you need a H1b which restricts working to professions where Americans aren't available, working in restaurants doesn't qualify.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles