Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 09:15 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,314,324 times

Advertisements

Yes, that is where it floods when they get 1/8th of an inch of rain. Course the way CA is set up it's not ment for rain. Many of the streets flood and there are areas that are constantly washed out. People have been hurt or killed in many of these places. CA doesn't get that much rain so when they do get even a small amount it creates big problems. And yes, Sun Valley has really gotten ugly. We call it "Scum-Valley".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 07:57 PM

636 posts, read 2,644,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Yes, that is where it floods when they get 1/8th of an inch of rain. Course the way CA is set up it's not ment for rain. Many of the streets flood and there are areas that are constantly washed out. People have been hurt or killed in many of these places. CA doesn't get that much rain so when they do get even a small amount it creates big problems. And yes, Sun Valley has really gotten ugly. We call it "Scum-Valley".
Poor Sun Valley.

North Hollywood is another area that has transformed before my eyes. When I first moved to LA it was an aging suburb... it quickly became low income (on the major boulevards such as Lankershim) although areas such as Valley Village remain pristine and beautiful. In the last few years I have watched North Hollywood struggling to reinvent itself. I referring to the area around the RedLine stop.

There was a famous concert venue on Lankershim Boulevard... I was shocked to drive by one day and see that it had closed.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:19 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,934,929 times
When I was younger, I had a friend that lived in a brand new housing tract in Canyon Country (we're talking early/ mid 80's). Talk about living in the middle of nowhere! Growing up in the Burbank area, Canyon Country looked like nothing more than a dust bowl and felt like forever to drive to!

Nowadays.... it's nothing like it was back then. One mini-mall right after another and all the homes look alike. And the traffic! http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/canibeyou/headshake.gif (broken link)

Last edited by canibeyou; 06-28-2007 at 08:28 PM..

Old 06-28-2007, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LALady View Post
Poor Sun Valley.

There was a famous concert venue on Lankershim Boulevard... I was shocked to drive by one day and see that it had closed.

Am I correct in thinking that The Palimino was located on Lankershim? http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/canibeyou/headscratch.gif (broken link)

Sun Valley... San Fernando Road, down by the Bradley dump... that's a joy to drive thru when it's raining! http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/canibeyou/smilies5.gif (broken link) Sorry, and not meaning to offend anyone that may live there, but everything from Sun Valley, Shadow Hills, Sunland, Pacoima, San Fernando, Sylmar, Lake View Terrace, Arelta, Panorama City..... nothing really nice about any of that area.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:33 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canibeyou View Post
Am I correct in thinking that The Palimino was located on Lankershim? http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/canibeyou/headscratch.gif (broken link)

Sun Valley... San Fernando Road, down by the Bradley dump... that's a joy to drive thru when it's raining! http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/canibeyou/smilies5.gif (broken link) Sorry, and not meaning to offend anyone that may live there, but everything from Sun Valley, Shadow Hills, Sunland, Pacoima, San Fernando, Sylmar, Lake View Terrace, Arelta, Panorama City..... nothing really nice about any of that area.
Was Filthy McNasty's out there too???

Old 06-28-2007, 08:35 PM

LOL..... now that name's a blast from the past! ROFL!!!

Old 06-28-2007, 09:26 PM

636 posts, read 2,644,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canibeyou View Post

Yes! The Palomino. The building was still there the last time I looked. It was soo famous back in the 80s.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:39 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,079,529 times
Thumbs up F Z on the Palomino

Quote:
Originally Posted by LALady View Post
Yes! The Palomino. The building was still there the last time I looked. It was soo famous back in the 80s.
"He's a slobberin' drunk at the Palomino / They give him thirty days in San Ber'dino" --Frank Zappa, ca. 1975

Old 06-29-2007, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
"He's a slobberin' drunk at the Palomino / They give him thirty days in San Ber'dino" --Frank Zappa, ca. 1975
LOL... years ago.. many, many years ago, my folks saw Hank Williams Jr. play at The Palimino. They said he was so drunk you couldn't understand a thing he said. Fast forward a couple decades and I went to see him play at the now renamed Irvine Meadows Ampitheatre... and he was so drunk you couldn't understand a thing he said! LOL!

My folks saw Johnny Cash play The Palimino too.

Sorry for hijacking this thread.

Old 03-02-2008, 03:22 PM

1 posts, read 3,797 times
Default canyon country is a beautiful place---forrman is out of touch with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrman View Post

I've been living in Canyon Country, CA since 1997 and the town has seen tremendous development in that time. The economy has prospered from the growth of retail businesses, but this has come at the expense of major traffic problems, crowding -- especially in the schools -- and way too many houses being carved out of the surrounding canyons. It would be safe to say that about half the people who live here now lived in another part of Los Angeles county 10 years ago. About 60 percent of the homeowners are middle-upper income whites. Among them, most are conservative, Republican, Evangelical Christians who drive gas guzzling SUVs, BMWs, or worse...Hummers. Around 30 percent of the people here are Hispanic, most of whom are Catholic, conservatives, who either don't vote or vote Republican (I discover this when I go to vote right before the polls close). Most of the people who have good paying jobs have to drive over the hill and work closer to downtown L.A. There are only two ways over the hill and traffic is often a nightmare. If you're lucky, you have a job close to the Mterolink train stop and you use this instead of having to drive (Friday afternoons before 3-day weekends are really a nightmare!). Four to five thousand homes in Canyon Country are mobile homes and they are increasingly attracting low-life white-trash meth-heads and recent immigrant from Latin America. This is really bringing down the quality of life in the community. The town is listed as being below-average in the crime index, but the crime problem is growing rapidly. Within the last three years I have seen significant increases in gang activity. About 2/3 of the gangsters consist of rival Mexicans, and about 1/3 are skinhead whites, who call themselves "Bros." So if you are thinking about moving to Canyon Country, ask yourself first whether you can deal with heavy traffic, increased crowding and crime, and an overwhelming majority of Evangelical Pro-War George W. Bush supporters.

forrman's rambling, paranoid rant has an amazing lack of any real facts. please for good, stable, family oriented people (of all backgrounds and ethnicities) thinking of relocating, canyon country is a beautiful, friendly, hospitable place to raise your family.
FACT: SANTA CLARITA IS THE #6 SAFEST CITY IN THE UNITED STATES ON THE FBI'S LIST OF SAFE CITIES WITH A POPULATION UNDER 200,000.
FACT: I COMMUTE EVERY DAY AND COMPARED TO TRAFFIC ON ANY OTHER MAJOR CORRIDOR THE DRIVE FROM CANYON COUNTRY TO THE SFV OR DOWNTOWN ETC. IS FAR LESS CONGESTED.
FACT: SCHOOLS IN SANTA CLARITA RATE AS HIGH AS SCHOOLS IN EL CAMINO AND THOUSAND OAKS SCHOOL DISTRICTS.
Most likely, forrman, hasn't worked in 20 years and is sitting on his couch drinking beer wondering where all the good times have gone. Unfortunately, for mr forrman the good times were never really that good you just can't remember them correctly. I'd love for mr. forrman to provide us all with the source for his facts on "white trash meth heads" and the "significant increase in gang activity" that he has 'personally' witnessed....

This guy's a complete cracker jack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles