Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2011, 08:15 AM

73 posts, read 205,294 times

Advertisements

Can you make a living off of projects you get cast on through these?

If so, how likely is it?

Also, if so, for about how many months would you be able to live off of this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 03:57 AM

153 posts, read 637,541 times
No. I can't even....just no. You will need a JOB, a steady JOB to pay your bills in L.A. If you are not averse to office work, I would suggest temping for a little while. But the "acting" jobs/gigs/ whatever you find in those places are just non-union crapfests that attract the poor and unsuspecting.

If you seriously want to act, get in the union, get an agent and do it. Don't waste time with this stuff.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:58 PM

69 posts, read 184,354 times
I've made a living for almost two years doing background work, I don't want to act, but if you were an aspiring actor you could make a living between doing bg and what acting gigs you do get.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:44 AM

396 posts, read 906,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalagonegaga View Post
No. I can't even....just no. You will need a JOB, a steady JOB to pay your bills in L.A. If you are not averse to office work, I would suggest temping for a little while. But the "acting" jobs/gigs/ whatever you find in those places are just non-union crapfests that attract the poor and unsuspecting.

If you seriously want to act, get in the union, get an agent and do it. Don't waste time with this stuff.
Haha those places are how you build a reel that help you get an agent so you get auditions to better projects.

"Join a Union" it ain't that simple. SAG rules, to join, are annoying and have an absurd entrance fee to boot.

The best stuff on AA, and the like, you won't ever see as they are only visible to agents. You aren't going to make a living off the work you see on there but it helps get you to a better point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles