Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 04:06 PM

5 posts, read 7,908 times

Advertisements

So how good really Westside is? And how bad rest of LA County/CSA really is?
Are the beaches of Westside dirty and polluted? Which are cleanest ones? Which are the dirtiest ones? Are the streets of Westside clean? Which community do you find most desirable to live in a term of cleanliness? Malibu, Santa Monica or maybe some other? Which are most polluted ones? Would you say that there's in general big differenfce between Westside and rest of LA/CSA, in terms of cleanliness, road quality, park arrangements and stuff like that? And what communities/areas/neighborhoods outside of Westside do you find more desirable to live in than Westside communities?
And final: Could you say that Westside is picture of LA that they're selling in the movies and rest of LA/CSA is normal, nothing-special-about-it area, with normal people, who are struggling with normal everyday problems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 04:16 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,861,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikadraca View Post
So how good really Westside is? And how bad rest of LA County/CSA really is?
Are the beaches of Westside dirty and polluted? Which are cleanest ones? Which are the dirtiest ones? Are the streets of Westside clean? Which community do you find most desirable to live in a term of cleanliness? Malibu, Santa Monica or maybe some other? Which are most polluted ones? Would you say that there's in general big differenfce between Westside and rest of LA/CSA, in terms of cleanliness, road quality, park arrangements and stuff like that? And what communities/areas/neighborhoods outside of Westside do you find more desirable to live in than Westside communities?
And final: Could you say that Westside is picture of LA that they're selling in the movies and rest of LA/CSA is normal, nothing-special-about-it area, with normal people, who are struggling with normal everyday problems?
First off, you should stop buying into stereotypes. There aren't any "bad" areas on the Westside, but the vast majority of it, like the vast majority of Los Angeles, is working-class to middle class and full of ordinary people.

So generally, yes, generally the Westside is nicer than the rest of Los Angeles, but I can tell your image of it is waaay off from what it is really like.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:18 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,852,911 times
The Westside is really congested--lots of people and cars, but not enough freeways and roads to get them moving.

If you are going to live there, hopefully you won't be working far from home; otherwise, you will be stuck in traffic everyday.

The more upscale Westside areas are clean of course, but the less expensive areas can look and feel dirty and dumpy.

I used to work in the Westside--so I really have no opinions regarding the everyday quality of life as a resident there.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:23 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,199,581 times
the westside is too big to give anything other than generalizations. parts of the westside are super crappy, parts are as lavish as you can find anywhere in the world.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:08 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
First off, you should stop buying into stereotypes. There aren't any "bad" areas on the Westside
Oakwood still qualifies as a bad area

Old 01-05-2012, 11:13 PM

369 posts, read 558,134 times
I hated living on the Westside - Beverly Hills, Brentwood, the lot. Too congested, didn't care for the general vibe....just, meh. Otherwise, the OP's question(s) would require too many generalized answers, which isn't realistic with such a diverse place as Southern CA, IMO.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:40 PM

571 posts, read 1,932,618 times
I think it's overated, unfairly pretentious, people never want to leave the Westside and traffic is horrible. I much prefer the valley.

For what you are looking for I honestly think Los Feliz fits the bill much better!

Old 01-06-2012, 09:44 AM

5 posts, read 7,908 times
Thanks for your answers! But come on guys, i know you can do better than that. Your help is appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
the westside is too big to give anything other than generalizations.
Ok. Let's narrow it down then. Let's say that i'm interested in areas of Westside between Sunset and W Olympic Blvds, concluded with Beverly Hills/West Hollywood boundary. Apply all my quastion considering Westside ( except beaches) to that area.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:45 AM

56 posts, read 126,663 times
I grew up in the Westside (and have lived in different areas since). It's all regular people. There's not one region of Los Angeles that will fit the L.A. stereotype in the media as glamorous and full of plastic people. I guess you could make an argument about a particular neighborhood fitting more of that image, but I haven't come across one on the Westside (including Brentwood and Beverly Hills; admittedly I've only been to Malibu for the beaches, so who knows). Anyway, as someone else said, there's a lot of working middle class families, and a lot of students depending on the area. Ethnically I'd say it's roughly the same as the rest of L.A.

The main difference is the traffic and parking, which are difficult in pretty much any area (business boulevard or residential neighborhood), vs somewhere like Hollywood area where the main street traffic and parking are terrible but the residential traffic/parking is ok (in my experience). Big contrast to some of the suburban areas of L.A. where driving is very easy (in comparison!).

Old 01-06-2012, 09:48 AM

56 posts, read 126,663 times
Well, with the boundaries you've given, pretty much same story. The only thing I can say as far as the reputation of L.A. is that there are areas where the shops and restaurants are more of the fancy type, but it doesn't necessarily match the people who actually live there. Big example is Beverly Hills - the rent is often not terrible in respect to surrounding areas - yet the shopping is plenty of Boutiques and Neiman Marcus/Saks type of stuff. So living there is not going to be anything glamorous, but hanging out there might be for more of the upper crust, at least in some areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles