Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2012, 06:02 AM

2 posts, read 6,353 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

In February of next year I (most probably) will relocate to our store in The Grove shopping centre/mall in LA. Since I don't drive, I would like to find some apartment/studio as close by The Grove as possible or at least easy reachable by public transport. I don't care how small the place is (as long as it is not infested by bugs) but the rent shouldn't be more than $750-$800/month and I'd love to be in an area where there are at least a few bars, coffee places, grocery stores,... in walking distance. Are these criteria realistic? If so, any suggestions of places where I should look for housing?

Thanks in advance!

G.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 08:44 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,631,284 times
K-Town.

Large Studio - In The Heart of Korea Town

Google says its 3.7 miles to the Grove. I dunno what bus line gets you there, but I'd assume there is one easily available. Theres a Ralphs and Vons at Vermont/3rd as well as a starbucks or coffee bean. Lots of bars on Wilshire.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:41 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,308,483 times
Rent for what? Half of a two bedroom? A studio? A room in a house? I guess if you are willing to share a space, or maybe a very cramped studios (but they tend to be closer to 900 a month now)... and yes this will have to be Koreatown, which is an okay area with lots of things going on and public transit to Grove .

Old 08-10-2012, 11:41 AM

1,468 posts, read 2,152,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
I dunno what bus line gets you there, but I'd assume there is one easily available.
The 14 and the 16 both do. It's not that bad, maybe 25-30 minutes.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:40 PM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
The Miracle Mile area might be good for you as I know the DASH runs during the day from Wilshire Blvd. (in the Miracle Mile area) to the Grove.

Old 08-11-2012, 02:01 AM

927 posts, read 2,467,001 times
I live in Park La Brea, literally walking distance from the Grove and I really like it here. However, most of the 1bedrooms in my area are a bit out of your price range ($1200 - $1800/month).

K town is probably the most affordable option.

Otherwise you could look at Hollywood, too (West Hollywood will be out of your price range too). The neighborhood isn't as desirable, but it'd probably only take 30 min by bus to get to the Grove, down Beverly.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:18 AM

671 posts, read 1,190,810 times
Where do you live now. It might be a do-able commute from where you live now, and what will you shifts be because that really determines if public transit is an option.

Line 16 (and Limited service 316) along West 3rd street provides service to the Grove (half a block east of the Nordstrom entrance or the corner of 3rd & Fairfax at the Farmer's Market with a half block walk to the Grove proper) provides closest East-West service with frequent head-ways. But the rush-hour service can be beyond crush load and NO FUN in the least.

The Line 14 on Beverly (east-west) requires quite a walk past CBS TV City to get to the Farmer's Market and Grove, but you could do it if you have to.

I forget the line number for Fairfax (216?), but it provides north-south service with the best stop at Fairfax & 3rd, but it has less frequent head-ways than the 16/316.

Another option is buses on Wilshire, especially Wilshire Metro Rapid to Wilshire & Farifax. Then transfer to northbound (216?) Fairfax bus for about 4 blocks up to Fairfax & 3rd.

No Metro rail line near the grove, and that's what can make a commute to there (depending upon where you live) quite challenging.

I would also recommend K-town and the other areas mentioned because they are the closest, although you will have to roommate.

In addition, commuting from downtown LA can be done by either car or public transit. You would board the 16/316 downtown and take it all the way to 3rd & Fairfax. I used to have the commute for YEARS, but it can be a funky ride. I would NOT use the buses at night (beyond the evening rush-hours), especially between Western Ave. & downtown. During the day and rush hours it is OK, if not a bit "downscale." Also that line can get quite busy, crush in both directions during the rush, but it would be a do-able option.

Now, if you wanted to or if it was easier to start by rail, then the Metro Purple line goes from downtown to Wilshire & Western Ave. You could then transfer to the Western Ave. bus NORTHbound to 3rd Street about 4+ blocks away. Then transfer to the WESTbound 16/316 for the final leg to the Farmer's Market (The Grove next to it). However, the Western Ave. bus is by far the most UNPREDICTABLE. Whenever I've used that commute pattern, sometimes the bus was just minute or so wait, sometimes several minutes as the line had a hard time keeping to schedule because of traffic.

Good Luck.

please go to
www-dot-mta-net
for full details and examine the bus timetables

Old 08-12-2012, 09:43 AM

2 posts, read 6,353 times
Thank you everybody for the feedback! Just for the record, at the moment I still work in our store on the other side of the country so all your suggestions help a lot.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:52 PM

671 posts, read 1,190,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Re_member View Post
Thank you everybody for the feedback! Just for the record, at the moment I still work in our store on the other side of the country so all your suggestions help a lot.
Other side of the COUNTRY. Well, that changes things a bit. The challenge is that the area of The Grove is pretty popular and EXPENSIVE. I thought if you were local to LA Metro area you would have a support system of family and friends, and that's why I was giving you specific bus lines, etc. and a familiarity with MTA and Metrolink. Sorry for uber info.

Well, Korea Town, Hancock Park, and adjacent areas, and even downtown would be my recommendations at this point, again you're going to have to share. I suppose even Hollywood is a consideration as the 216 serves Hollywood Blvd. then Fairfax Ave., but it does take some to slough through the thick of it during the rush and it was crowded and less head-ways than other bus lines. Check out the LACMTA site for more.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:37 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,152,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryKerryJr View Post
The Line 14 on Beverly (east-west) requires quite a walk past CBS TV City to get to the Farmer's Market and Grove, but you could do it if you have to.

It's not that bad. You just get off at Beverly and Curson and go west, then left and there you go! Everywhere seems "far" but when you take public transit, you get used to having to wake up earlier and walk a bit more. I still remember how alarmed we were when we had to start walking everywhere off a bus or train, in reality was always less than 0.5 miles... literally... same with this, which is only 0.3. The only annoying thing is that sometimes you end up in the wrong direction or too far or soon from the intended destination that you have to start over anyway. Happened to me a couple times.

Yeah, at night you can also use the Red Line to get to Hollywood and Highland to catch the 217... but I think it takes up to twice as long. 217 also goes there but the closest it will go is Fairfax and 1st.

I don't particularly trust the official website, I notice it gives me strange routes that take longer. Sometimes the schedules are changed without notice.

Anything else:

Google Maps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles