Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 01:42 PM

174 posts, read 217,952 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I already have a degree and I'm not interested in actually enrolling (paying) for school again, however, there are some courses I would like to just take even if I don't get academic credit for it. Is it possible to find class schedules to simply crash some classes at UCLA or USC? I know at my college there were plenty of classes that were just in a big lecture hall and someone could walk in and listen without anyone paying any attention.

Anyone have any advice for making this happen? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 05:00 PM

266 posts, read 320,314 times
I'm sure you've already ruled out coursera and edx?

Old 06-26-2016, 06:21 PM

174 posts, read 217,952 times
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm looking to physically be in a class. Online courses are great but I honestly don't get much out of them. I need to be in a different environment than my home to get myself into learning mode.

Old 06-26-2016, 06:48 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,554,739 times
Caltech has the Watson Lecture Series that's open to the public. I wouldn't be surprised if UCLA and/or USC have something similar.

Old 06-26-2016, 10:58 PM

601 posts, read 756,452 times
I can't believe this needs to be said, but don't just try and look up schedules and walk into a regular/for credit class. As you are not a student, you'd be trespassing and they'd have every right to call the cops on you. Look up open to the public lectures and classes.

I take lots of online courses and workshops, and self-study pretty religiously. Sorry to be blunt, but let me be honest with you: If someone feels like they don't 'get a lot' out of online courses....that's a personal problem. Post-college learning is really what separates the boys from men, or whatever phrase you want to use. If you can't learn w/o a teacher breathing down our neck, then you're not self-motivated enough IMHO.

Old 06-26-2016, 11:04 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,657,895 times
UCLA has a great program called UCLA Extension that offers tons of classes open to anyone who wants to take them. Here's the link: https://www.uclaextension.edu/pages/BrowseCourses.aspx

USC also has a "continuing education" program with tons of classes open to anyone who wants to take them. Here's the link: http://continuingeducation.usc.edu/

These are not free (no free rides in higher ed, unfortunately), but they do fit the description of what you are looking for.

If you want something less expensive, look into classes at your local community college or your high school district's adult education program.

Old 06-27-2016, 01:17 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,797,324 times
It's one thing to crash a class one or two times, but to crash the entire course? What the hell, dude?

Community classes are much cheaper. Sign up and pay for those. One shouldn't be looking to steal from prestigious 4-year institutions such as USC and UCLA by sitting in lectures and refusing to pay. This shouldn't be encouraged.

Old 06-27-2016, 11:50 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,758,364 times
In this day and age the idea of sneaking onto a campus without authorization is just plain dumb. REAL dumb.

Old 06-27-2016, 11:59 AM

601 posts, read 756,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
In this day and age the idea of sneaking onto a campus without authorization is just plain dumb. REAL dumb.
Especially when that campus that had an active shooter only a month or two ago.

Old 06-27-2016, 02:52 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,879,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMonkyPunks View Post
Sorry to be blunt, but let me be honest with you: If someone feels like they don't 'get a lot' out of online courses....that's a personal problem.
Semantically speaking, you are correct: it is a personal problem. But that is not the end of the story.

Research shows there are 3 main categories of learners, with a few examples in parentheses:

* those who learn best by reading (textbooks, online, academic papers, etc)
* those who learn best by seeing (a lecture or live tutorial or even recorded presentation)
* those who learn best by doing (for example, wiring a circuit board or writing code or writing a research paper)

While we all can do all 3, research indicates we typically do better in one of those 3 environments than the other 2 (putting aside other obscure ones).

The great news is the OP recognizes she/he has a preferred style of learning and wishes to learn in that environment.

TO THE OP: Try asking the professor if you may audit the lectures in the back, space permitting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles