Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2012, 10:28 PM

2 posts, read 2,149 times

Advertisements

I just started renting in Inglewood Ca I've been here for about 6 months by the end of October.
Just last month I was told by my Landlord that I had to move out due to the city was making him tear down the place I stay in. Never once told me it was a garage converted into a 2 bedroom home. So the city came down on him and wants him to tear down the place. Well due to all this I am the one screwed my husband just had surgery and cant even walk and my daughter just started school here in Inglewood and I dont want to have to move her schools again. I am kinda confused on the laws here in Los Angeles County. But someone had told me he has to relocate me and pay me back all them months of rent I have gave him already??

Can someone help me here I need some help I have to be out by the end of October 2012
Here is my e-mail ginocarrillo59@yahoo.com
If someone on here has any knowledge on any of this please help me out.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 11:17 PM

8,603 posts, read 11,046,142 times
Sine it was not a legal rental in the first place, you stated it perfectly, you are screwed big time.
The landlord does not have to pay you for any rent you paid because you availed yourself of the unit all the time you paid rent.
AS for paying your relocation expenses, the landlord is not liable, again, due to the fact it was an illegal rental.
The next place you look at you would do well to investigate the property before renting..
As for your immediate problem, I am afraid you lose on this one, and I doubt you have any recourse.
If you did take the landlord to small claims, the judge would ask why did you not investigate the rental before moving in?
Your logical answer would be, " I had no reason to believe the rental was illegal"
Unfortunately, ignorance of the legality, or lack thereof will not hold up in court.
The court will feel you should have known, or at least investigated the possibility.
There are thousands of illegal converted garage rentals in this city, and you are not the first, and you most certainly won't be the last to suffer the consequences of having to vacate one of these illegal rentals.
Bob.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:54 PM

2 posts, read 2,149 times
Default He Knew Though Its His Property

He knew it wasnt legal though and he still rented it to me we werent told it was!
Plus the city of Los Angeles has them laws were yes he has to pay thats what am looking into right now.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:59 PM

8,603 posts, read 11,046,142 times
Relocation ordinances only apply to legal rentals,not illegal ones.
Bob.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:34 AM

5 posts, read 5,127 times
Did you find a resolution to this? I'm dealing with something potentially similar. A family member rents a converted attic-apartment. Been there about 6 yeaars. Before the holidays, on Dec 19, the power went out. Landlady did not take the problem seriously, assuming It was my family member who was simply plugging too many appliances in. Well, that wasn't the case. Just yesterday, january 15, an electrician FINaLLY finished fixing the problems. It was his 3rd time here doing repairs, which included changing out 2 blown fuses and repairing faulty wiring.

The issue is this: Family member withheld rent, thinking she may have to use it to make repairs herself and taking the cost out of the rent. She's also disabled, so didn't get that far. She did, however, put the issue in writing several times, and said this is what she would have to do if the repairs weren't taken care of within 72 hours. The repairs began, but again were not finished until almost a month after the problems began. There was no heat or cooking available in the apartment over the Xmas holiday, new year, and half of January.

Is there any legal basis at all for her to pay only the remaining HALF of January? A good deal of money was spent just bearing with the cold and food issue, and the money would go a lot further toward a deposit at a new apartment. Its just, a new apartment hasn't been found and there's no gaurantee she can make that happen by Feb 1. So that's my question: is there a legal foundation for only paying half of the January rent after not having a habitable apartment from Dec 19-Jan 15?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles