Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 03:50 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
This. hard to say for sure whether you'll like LA because everyone's experience is differnet, but from what you say about yourself it sounds like it's worth a shot

Uber/lyft/sidecar aren't as big as in SF, but they are rapidly catching on. no one wants to deal with cab drivers.
Taxis are seriously expensive, a lot more expensive than even SF or NY. Isn't LA one of the most expensive cities for taxis in the world?

Also, is it true all the cab companies in L.A. are owned by the same family? Yellow used to have a monopoly on taxi services in L.A. and they were owned by the Mafia.

Last edited by majoun; 09-25-2013 at 04:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 11:14 PM

601 posts, read 755,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittybad07 View Post
Hi all,

Before I begin let me say that I am a)not a hipster b)have lived in big cities and c)could afford living in LA.

I've been to LA and really liked it but I just wonder if I would feel welcomed in the long term because I keep to myself a lot and am kind of a shy, nerdy girl in her early twenties. I guess LA is sort of a bad place for me to be but I felt really addicted to the city, it felt so expansive and dynamic. Many people probably feel that way once they go their for the first time. I'm not socially inept(I make friends easily, am attractive and know how to have fun) but I like to keep to myself a lot, paint, do geeky things and run my small online business for a better part of the time. I just wonder if there is anyone like me that feels truly at home in LA? I really felt drawn to the city, it felt so good to me even though there are not so good, dangerous parts that I'd need to steer clear of. Driving is crazy but that is something I could adjust to and there is the Uber car service(does anyone use it a lot? how has it worked out for you?)

Currently I'm in the Bay Area and I just find it way too leftist, holier than thou and cynical. A lot of really friendly, cool people are here as well but overall I am just really tired of this area.

Thanks!
Hmm, I'm still new here also, but as a fellow somewhat shy, geeky, artistic 20-something girl, I like it here a lot. Actually, I think there's quite a few people like us kind of hiding in the woodwork...many (me included) are here to work/find work in games, animation, VFX, etc. Or came here to go to USC/Otis/Cal Arts and never left.

Old 09-26-2013, 12:02 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,307,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Taxis are seriously expensive, a lot more expensive than even SF or NY. Isn't LA one of the most expensive cities for taxis in the world?

Also, is it true all the cab companies in L.A. are owned by the same family? Yellow used to have a monopoly on taxi services in L.A. and they were owned by the Mafia.
I believe that is correct. I don't know who owns the major LA cab companies (United, Checker, Yellow, Independent). All I know is they tend to be shady, the drivers and the operators. And they're all Armenian, so maybe some Armenian company owns them.

If I HAVE to take a cab - which is never these days due to Uber and Lyft - I would take Beverly Hills Cab or if in Santa Monica, the two SM based cab companies (taxi taxi and metro). The rest are basically scroundrels and bandits.

Uber and Lyft are great deals. Often cheaper than a cab, much more reliable and friendly, and they use your credit card on file.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:20 PM

55 posts, read 107,369 times
Hey you sound JUST like me, no joke. I would mainly be working from home (startup game studio + a non-profit) but am drawn to LA for pretty much the exact same reasons but also because of the film industry as there will be a film component to what I'm doing. I am also not enamoured with the Bay Area for the same reasons and with the cost of living on top I see no benefit to it whatsoever. Just like you I would spend a lot of time at home, but would want there to be a bitching city and cool ppl if I do go out I guess lol

Actually from what I know of, Uber and Lyft are still in an uphill battle to really operated in LA but I'll be looking for a walkable apt thats close to food and at least a bus/train line to start with then as I get to know the city more, figure out where I'll actually want to live long term.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:42 PM

5 posts, read 6,541 times
Hey all, sorry to reply back so late. Thanks for all the commentary, I feel like my question is an odd one and I hoped it didn't seem rude. I don't want to go down to LA and just ignore everyone, haha.

I really like Los Angeles for the variety and how lively it is. I'm not trying to knock the Bay Area too badly because there are some really great people here, it has beautiful cities and of course other human beings live here(I know I don't like it when people judge the place where I live). But I can't be too nice because the funny thing is that, as crazy as people say LA is, the Bay Area seems to be home to some of the most psychotic, insecure and pretentious people I've ever met. This includes the professional population. It's like everyone took acid and never came back from the trip no matter how educated or sensible they appear. On one hand I think it is more intellectual here(I like this) but also common sense is greatly lacking. Every other person is a liberal nutcase(I'm liberal)with no common sense. Like if a homeless psycho followed me home they wouldn't do much about it and he'd probably be able to sue me if he wanted for harassment. They can be more concerned with finding sex offenders equal housing opportunities or being politically correct than your life.

I make good money but I do not even want to associate with many of the snobs here because they are so insane. Many people wear a perpetual frown on their faces or manic, self righteous grins. Really I just can't stand the stuffy, liberal snobbery. It isn't aimed at me but I just dislike being around it. The Bay Area speaks of being tolerant and openminded but they are incredibly judgmental toward each other and I feel sorry for any men that try to date in San Francisco because many of the women are totally rude and "feminist" in all the wrong ways for all the wrong reasons. I don't understand why so many Bay Area people consider Los Angeles a fake, snobby place when so many of them are the most elitist, hypocritical and perverse I've met. They just hide it whereas perhaps people from Los Angeles are more showy and loud. In the Bay Area, prepare to be judged and not defended from homeless psychos. Prepare to meet some of the most snotty, fake liberals that are borderline psycho and forgo common sense so they can pat themselves on the back and pretend they are good people. Really, it is depressing in the Bay Area. I suppose Los Angeles can be depressing as with any place you go, lol, but the Bay Area gives a sense of elitist, liberal pessimism and really just lacks life in general. I'm sure they would be quick to tell me to leave if they read all of this, lol, but I actually mean no harm. I'm just sick of the Bay Area.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:47 PM

5 posts, read 6,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fathamburger View Post
I am also not enamoured with the Bay Area for the same reasons and with the cost of living on top I see no benefit to it whatsoever.
Exactly. For the COST, it is not worth it. At least, not to me. If you are in high tech or the sciences, then it is a good place but LA has opportunity for that as well and somewhat more reasonable cost of living.

Hope all goes well for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles