Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 11:00 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjt123 View Post
Yeah it has great qualities. And I hope those great qualities remain mostly in the hands of current residents, to be honest.

Recently made accounts (like the one i quoted) telling of a great demographic shift seems like interns doing the bidding of some real estate douche trying to stoke the fires of gentrification in an area that's taking stubbornly long to become suitable for a yuppie invasion.
Leimert Park, Hyde Park, and Baldwin Hills remain overwhelmingly black.

There certainly are yuppies living in Baldwin Hills, but they're African-American. Nonblacks living in the area are generally married to or in relationships with blacks.

The area has a lot of things in its favor but there's no need to lie about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 12:27 AM

367 posts, read 673,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Leimert Park, Hyde Park, and Baldwin Hills remain overwhelmingly black.

There certainly are yuppies living in Baldwin Hills, but they're African-American. Nonblacks living in the area are generally married to or in relationships with blacks.

The area has a lot of things in its favor but there's no need to lie about it.
Yes, this is more or less true and not in line with what the booster said.

Unfortunately, areas with high black % still carry a stigma, even if the residents are mainly of the middle/professional class. So, my suspicions react when I see a post seemingly priming the area for gentrification by telling of a great exodus of blacks in favor of young trendy white families and gays (who are basically the universal agents of gentrification).

That poster probably saw a couple media stories about how 25 white people now live in a neighborhood that used to have 10 white people, and some of these new whites have a beard and tattoos, so let's run with it and pretend like this part of South Central is the new Highland Park.

Old 12-18-2014, 01:12 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,197,631 times
Quote:
Yeah it has great qualities. And I hope those great qualities remain mostly in the hands of current residents, to be honest.

Recently made accounts (like the one i quoted) telling of a great demographic shift seems like interns doing the bidding of some real estate douche trying to stoke the fires of gentrification in an area that's taking stubbornly long to become suitable for a yuppie invasion.

I honestly think the area could use a bit more attention. I would love to see a boost in business heading toward the area. Keeping the area stagnant isn't going to help keep the local culture, it will just depress it more.

Old 12-18-2014, 05:12 PM

7 posts, read 17,682 times
Quote:

Jaded much? Your nasty commentary reeks of bitterness and misinformation and there is no need for that tone.

I live in Echo Park myself but have seen one person after the other, of every race, move to South LA from Los Feliz, Silver Lake, and Echo Park either because they lose their lease, need more space, or decide to buy a house and don't want to spend a million dollars to stay around here. These are not yuppies but members of the creative class.

Just as in Highland park, current homeowners in South LA areas are certainly benefitting when they sell the house they bought in 1985 for 78K for 450K so don't give me this crap about the poor displaced residents. The nature of a city is that neighborhoods change. Some changes are good and some are bad.

Deal with it.

Last edited by IlluminatedLA; 12-18-2014 at 05:21 PM..

Old 12-18-2014, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Yes, this is more or less true and not in line with what the booster said.

Unfortunately, areas with high black % still carry a stigma, even if the residents are mainly of the middle/professional class. So, my suspicions react when I see a post seemingly priming the area for gentrification by telling of a great exodus of blacks in favor of young trendy white families and gays (who are basically the universal agents of gentrification).

That poster probably saw a couple media stories about how 25 white people now live in a neighborhood that used to have 10 white people, and some of these new whites have a beard and tattoos, so let's run with it and pretend like this part of South Central is the new Highland Park.
You are really a very presumptuous and insulting misanthrope. The gentrification is happening whether you like it or not. I do not apologize for my opinions and I'm not going to take your crap without calling you out at every turn. So back off with the abusive tone, ok? Thanks.

For your information, I am a mixed race person with relatives in Hyde Park and Baldwin Hills. I am a working artist with an appreciation for the aesthetic beauty of the area and happen to like many things about the way the neighborhood is. Having said that, I cannot lie about being very happy for my really nice friends (a latino and chinese gay couple) who bought a house in West Adams in November for a lot less money then it would have cost them to remain in Silver Lake.

The racial profile of the neighborhood is changing regardless of who likes it or who doesn't.. So I will thank you to stop being an abusive dumb-ass and not to shoot the messenger. Thanks!

Old 12-18-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yby1 View Post
I honestly think the area could use a bit more attention. I would love to see a boost in business heading toward the area. Keeping the area stagnant isn't going to help keep the local culture, it will just depress it more.
And it is getting some of that attention from many long time residents. Cases en point, we are starting to see art galleries and cafes in Leimert Park that are owned and operated by long time residents of that area. These residents WANT people of other races and their purchasing power in their neighborhood because they are smart. When I was growing up in Mid City with friends down there, there was nothing like that there.

As a half black person myself, there is nothing more distressing to me than an angry militant black person who has a chip on his/her shoulder about every other race. If only these complainers would just put that energy into investing in their neighborhood instead of holding feet to the fire of anyone else who takes the initiative to do it....

And lets not forget, there are black hipsters too.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:53 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlluminatedLA View Post
You are really a very presumptuous and insulting misanthrope. The gentrification is happening whether you like it or not. I do not apologize for my opinions and I'm not going to take your crap without calling you out at every turn. So back off with the abusive tone, ok? Thanks.

For your information, I am a mixed race person with relatives in Hyde Park and Baldwin Hills. I am a working artist with an appreciation for the aesthetic beauty of the area and happen to like many things about the way the neighborhood is. Having said that, I cannot lie about being very happy for my really nice friends (a latino and chinese gay couple) who bought a house in West Adams in November for a lot less money then it would have cost them to remain in Silver Lake.

The racial profile of the neighborhood is changing regardless of who likes it or who doesn't.. So I will thank you to stop being an abusive dumb-ass and not to shoot the messenger. Thanks!
The racial profile of the neighborhoods you mentioned is not changing, and I've never heard of even one person moving from Silver Lake to those neighborhoods if we're going to go anecdotal.

Now, in that general area, the racial profile of the black middle class neighborhoods of northern Inglewood is definitely changing. But the newcomers are overwhelmingly lower middle class and working class Latinos, not so called "creative class" whites.

Old 12-18-2014, 11:54 PM

367 posts, read 673,200 times
@Illuminated

Wow lol you caught feelings! I love how I'm this that and the third but you're quick to become an vitriolic crybaby because someone called you out on the Internet.. hahaha. Your righteous indignation is hilarious to watch.

There's a lot of paid shilling on the Internet and your posts reek of it.

And..... even if youre not shilling, you're vastly overstating this supposed shift in population with your anecdotal claims that I nor other posters seem to believe.

and finally LOL @ "As a half black person myself, there is nothing more distressing to me than an angry militant black person who has a chip on his/her shoulder about every other race"

Really there's nothing worse to you than that? Let that self hate out sweetheart, there you go.

For the record I didnt say anything negative about non-blacks, in fact the crux of my argument was class based. But it is a simple fact that the great majority of those with the economic power to change neighborhoods in this country are white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yby1 View Post
It would be nice to have some more dining and retail options in the area, but let's not pretend that the typical gentrifier businesses do anything for the existing community aside from expedite the rate at which they'll be pushed out. It's ridiculous to assume that gastropubs and coffee shops are going to uplift the economic fortunes of anyone except the gentrifier class.

Stagnancy is a result of money being funneled out of the community into outsider's hands, not a lack of outside investment. Poor communities can defeat their economic stagnancy with application of group economics.

Last edited by hjt123; 12-19-2014 at 12:49 AM..

Old 12-19-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
The racial profile of the neighborhoods you mentioned is not changing, and I've never heard of even one person moving from Silver Lake to those neighborhoods if we're going to go anecdotal.

Now, in that general area, the racial profile of the black middle class neighborhoods of northern Inglewood is definitely changing. But the newcomers are overwhelmingly lower middle class and working class Latinos, not so called "creative class" whites.
Which part of Northern Inglewood are you referring to? I don't think what you say here is quite true. The Fairview area is seeing a more professional, diverse demographic moving in. Not working class Latino.

Old 12-19-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
It would be nice to have some more dining and retail options in the area, but let's not pretend that the typical gentrifier businesses do anything for the existing community aside from expedite the rate at which they'll be pushed out. It's ridiculous to assume that gastropubs and coffee shops are going to uplift the economic fortunes of anyone except the gentrifier class.

Stagnancy is a result of money being funneled out of the community into outsider's hands, not a lack of outside investment. Poor communities can defeat their economic stagnancy with application of group economics.
The current community definitely needs to be involved in whatever shift happens in these communities. I agree with you on that. In order for the community to be sustainable, there needs to be a good amount of economic diversity - you want a good amount of working class, middle class and creative class (maybe even upper class in areas like West Adams).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles