Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 11:01 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,433,296 times

Advertisements

Last December my Border Collie was badly injured by a neighbors loose Pit Bull as I was walking with my dog on a leash. Cost me $668 and my dog had to be in great pain. Many calls to LA. Dept. of Animal Care and Control and nothing happened.
A few months ago another neighbors dog was badly injured by the same Pit Bull, cost him $2,000. Together we went to the East Valley Animal Care and Control and we got to talk to the manager.
He apologized profusely and said they only have one officer because of budget cuts. All our tax payers money now goes to public employees unions workers unbelievable pay, pensions, and healthcare for life. Services get cut so these people can live like kings compared to workers in the private sector and people who make 1/4 of what they make pay their salaries.
Sylmar where I live is 30 miles from downtown and we did finally get a hearing in the civic center. We won the hearing but the Pit Bulls owner appealed so the dangerous dog is still there.
This is the quality of life in Los Angeles, I'm scared to step out of my fenced yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 11:06 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,668,809 times
This happens all over the county.

especially in and around South LA.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:37 PM

8,555 posts, read 10,981,308 times
Contact your city council member for your area, and explain the situation to him/her.
You might also tell the council member that you fully intend to keep on this issue, and you want answers, not "I'll take it under advisement".
Give it a few days, and if the matter is not taken care of to your satisfaction, call the city council member, and tell him/her, you will be starting a recall initiative to remove him/her for dereliction of sworn duty.
You would be amazed at how the word "recall" prompts them into getting problems like this solved.

The official at animal services told you exactly the way it is with budget cuts.
My organization works closely with animal services, and we understand their position, and that is one reason why I stress contact with your rep in the city council.

There is absolutely no "legal" reason why a dog should be off leash in a public area, period.
I don't understand the owner of this pitbull being allowed an appeal.
What were the grounds for an appeal?

Bob.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:21 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,901,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
All our tax payers money now goes to public employees unions workers unbelievable pay, pensions, and healthcare for life. Services get cut so these people can live like kings ...
Yup. Govt workers are getting paid more, to do less.

Kinda like that episode in the BBC TV series, Yes Minister. The one where the govt opened a fully staffed hospital, but had no money left to admit any patients. So all the hospital employees went to "work" every day, without actually servicing any patients.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:01 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,855,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
Yup. Govt workers are getting paid more, to do less.

Kinda like that episode in the BBC TV series, Yes Minister. The one where the govt opened a fully staffed hospital, but had no money left to admit any patients. So all the hospital employees went to "work" every day, without actually servicing any patients.
Except that's fiction and the UK has a very good health care system.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:17 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Can you carry a weapon of some kind to fend off this, or other dogs in your area? I am very afraid of aggressive dogs, I would probably get bitten because dogs sense your fear and become more aggressive.
I hope that you find a resolution to this situation.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:47 PM

8,555 posts, read 10,981,308 times
The only way this problem will be resolved is for the op to get involved.
Talk to animal services.
If they don't act, get in touch with your city council rep.
If all you do is complain to yourself it will never be resolved.

You have to get in their and make noise if you want to get heard.
When I first started the center for leash law enforcement, I bitched and bitched to both animal services, and the city council about erecting more signs in parks telling people to keep their dogs leashed.

It took time, but new, and numerous signs are now in the three parks that I go to with my dog.
You have to speak up if you want action.

Bob.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:00 AM

339 posts, read 777,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Can you carry a weapon of some kind to fend off this, or other dogs in your area? I am very afraid of aggressive dogs, I would probably get bitten because dogs sense your fear and become more aggressive.
I hope that you find a resolution to this situation.
Bear spray. Legal in California to use on animals ONLY. Works a lot better than pepper spray.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:12 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,180,220 times
I used to live in south TX. This was a huge problem down there. Loose pits are pretty common down there, as dog fighting still takes place in cities like Laredo or Brownsville. It's as if nobody would get their dogs fixed down there. I sive in Seattle now. and I never see pits like I did growing up.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:29 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
CapnHawk, Thanks..Your suggestion of bear spray reminded me. My brother told me about an elderly guy that walked past his house daily, he always had a can of wasp spray, and a walking stick. My brother struck up a conversation one time, and asked about the wasp spray...The man used it for aggressive dogs, and he said it worked very well. Just another suggestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles