Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2014, 10:00 AM

52 posts, read 81,479 times

Advertisements

Currently planning for my scouting trip in January/February. I'm going to try to take take a 4 day weekend off. Saving vay cay time for that. Here's hoping I don't get sick.

Since I'm going to try to get as authentic an experience as possible during my visit, I'm going to fly to LAX and not Bob Hope. Then I'm going to rent a car, and drive over to Crenshaw and visit my family. I haven't been there in years and I miss it like ****. Then I'm going to drive to NoHo and check into my hotel. I'm going to spend all of Friday night and Saturday morn in NoHo. NoHo has a huge music/theatre scene, which is totally me, so I plan on checking out some live venues and a few plays, try some of the food, check out apartments in the area, and drive to Burbank and see what the commute from NoHo to Disney is like so I can have an idea of what my every day hustle will be like when I'm there. I'll toss my portfolio at Disney while I'm there in the mean time.

Saturday, I'll leave NoHo at noon and drive - not take the red line; remember, authentic experience - to DTLA and then Hollywood. What are some good things to do in DTLA on a Saturday? I guess I should visit Silver Lake? I don't know. After that, I'm driving to Santa Monica. Yup. From the Valley to the west side. I need to know what i'm getting into and experience the bad with the good. Lord help me. On Saturday night I want to go to a concert or some ****. We'll see what's on the schedule then. Maybe head to the Low End Theory for some jams.

I have to say, though, that I'm running into some problems with Sunday. Though I'm not Buddhist, I do practice Buddhism and on Sunday, I want to give the red line a whirl. I was thinking of riding to Little Tokyo and checking out a Zen Buddhist Temple, but the temple I'm interested in visiting, Zenshuji, is on 123 South Hewitt Street. Never mind that the Zen Center of LA, my other choice, is alllll the way west of the 110 and 101 (923 S Normandie Ave). Hazy Moon Zen Center (1651 S Gramercy Pl), which is about south of central LA is a bit of a journey. So, both are quite a distance from the Red Line. What to do? I was thinking after that, I explore Little Tokyo a bit and have some authentic ramen and buy some Man for a snack, and then head back to the hotel and drive to Griffith Park and hike and get some views and some air. Struggling on Sunday because that's the day I'm trying to see what it's like to live in LA without a car and some of the places I'm interested in are a decent distance away from each other.

Monday, I was thinking explore NoHo more. I don't know. Any ideas? I wanna do something outdoors. Again. But something close by to North Hollywood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 11:18 AM

3,190 posts, read 3,185,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarrettD View Post
Though I'm not Buddhist, I do practice Buddhism
Dude, what?

Old 11-14-2014, 11:32 AM

52 posts, read 81,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
Dude, what?
In order to be Buddhist you have to accept the precepts and in zen, make a rakusu. There's also a formal ceremony. I haven't done either - yet - but I employ Buddhist teachings into my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles