Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 12:23 AM

5,818 posts, read 2,670,413 times

Advertisements

Am I crazy or did they DRASTICALLY exaggerate the smog situation here? They make it as if you can't even see the skyline. I hike Runyon several times a week, for over a year now, and have never seen it even close to that on a sunny day. One shot the skyline didn't even match, with all the haze. Clearly CGI.

Probably for effects (obvi), upcoming themes, etc., or just to further peoples' interest here?

That was the FIRST thing I noticed, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 02:49 AM

1,631 posts, read 2,387,480 times
Maybe just regular hazy skies. We've had hazy skies for the past week and you can barely see the mountains or Downtown skyline clearly. It looks like that with the June Gloom (it is august for Fogust).

Old 08-24-2015, 08:36 AM

3,190 posts, read 3,185,549 times
Exaggerating the smog in Los Angeles is pretty common in movies and TV shows these days. I guess the makers of these things feel like people won't believe it's Los Angeles unless the stereotype of blanketing fog is represented.
Los Angeles is almost never accurately depicted.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:47 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
I'm pretty sure they weren't going for accuracy in this instance.

Old 08-24-2015, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
Exaggerating the smog in Los Angeles is pretty common in movies and TV shows these days. I guess the makers of these things feel like people won't believe it's Los Angeles unless the stereotype of blanketing fog is represented.
Los Angeles is almost never accurately depicted.
Yeah, I hear ya. But this was just scathing! I love movies and shows that actually "get LA right".

Nightcrawler, Heat, Training Day, etc.

Old 08-24-2015, 04:00 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJT123 View Post
Am I crazy or did they DRASTICALLY exaggerate the smog situation here? They make it as if you can't even see the skyline. I hike Runyon several times a week, for over a year now, and have never seen it even close to that on a sunny day. One shot the skyline didn't even match, with all the haze. Clearly CGI.

Probably for effects (obvi), upcoming themes, etc., or just to further peoples' interest here?

That was the FIRST thing I noticed, lol.
Also noticible was the large number of Latino or "ethnic appearing" actors which is welcome if depicting LA.

I watch very little tv, but love TWD. This show may be a let down for me.

Old 08-24-2015, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Also noticible was the large number of Latino or "ethnic appearing" actors which is welcome if depicting LA.

I watch very little tv, but love TWD. This show may be a let down fire me.
Yeah, they got the diversity right, but sure pushed the agenda. Not everyone is in an interracial relationship, lol. (I am not, in any way, saying that in any negative sense.)

Old 08-24-2015, 04:05 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
The whole androgynous junkie thing was weird too. Apparently, the actor is considered attractive by women.

Old 08-24-2015, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
The whole androgynous junkie thing was weird too. Apparently, the actor is considered attractive by women.
WHAT? He's so ugly, borderline gross. I was wondering to myself why he's even on TV, lol.

Old 08-24-2015, 04:45 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,185,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJT123 View Post
Yeah, they got the diversity right, but sure pushed the agenda. Not everyone is in an interracial relationship, lol. (I am not, in any way, saying that in any negative sense.)
It seems like 50% of the relationships on TV shows these days are interracial even though they're not that common anywhere in reality. I guess it's just an easy and unoffensive way to show that the program is "progressive" for the people that it matters to.
L.A. is constantly blanketed in fog and only the West Side, South Central and DTLA exist. New York City is crime-ridden, always rainy and nights last 18 hours. Every young couple is biracial. Every group of twenty-somethings is comprised entirely of aimless hipsters. Every group of thirty-somethings is comprised of 1%-ers with $500,000 wardrobes and money to burn. etc

Shows and movies that include these sorts of tropes are usually poorly made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles