Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 10:59 AM

1,535 posts, read 1,391,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
Not sure if your post is sarcastic or hopeful?
Hopeful.

Penions demanded by public unions are bankrupting California. I am not against unions per se, but allowing public employee union to directly negotiate wages and benefits with elected officials is a receipe for fiscal disaster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 11:36 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,099,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
Hopeful.

Penions demanded by public unions are bankrupting California. I am not against unions per se, but allowing public employee union to directly negotiate wages and benefits with elected officials is a receipe for fiscal disaster.
Agreed.

Old 09-16-2015, 06:30 PM

116 posts, read 118,933 times
Anyone shocked that a gardener working for the city makes $42/hr has not been paying attention. This is typical. Blue collar State/County/Local govt employees make 2-3x what private sector blue collar workers make. If you add in the pension benefits its more like 3-4x.

All the salaries are public. Transparentcalifornia.com has all the info in a searchable database. Six figure gardeners are not unusual in California government.

'gardener' search results | Transparent California

Old 09-16-2015, 06:36 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,629,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echoParkDate View Post
Anyone shocked that a gardener working for the city makes $42/hr has not been paying attention. This is typical. Blue collar State/County/Local govt employees make 2-3x what private sector blue collar workers make. If you add in the pension benefits its more like 3-4x.

All the salaries are public. Transparentcalifornia.com has all the info in a searchable database. Six figure gardeners are not unusual in California government.

'gardener' search results | Transparent California
?

Those jobs are all in the Bay Area...the place where fast food places HAVE to pay $12-15 an hour just to attract workers.

My govt job requiring a 4 year degree in LA area pays less than $100k after a lot of years and a few promotions. In NYC my civil service classification pays about $180k. In Las Vegas it's about $65k.

So your citing of gardeners in CA making $80-100k is quite disingenuous. Most city of LA gardeners make $35-55k.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:11 AM

116 posts, read 118,933 times
>> Those jobs are all in the Bay Area.

Look at 'groundskeeper'...same job, lots of so cal positions at similar pay.

'groundskeeper' search results | Transparent California

>> govt job requiring a 4 year degree in LA area pays less than $100k <<

Notice I said BLUE COLLAR. I am a software engineer. I would love to have those city bennies but the salaries are indeed ****. That's because those professions have weak unions.

Old 09-17-2015, 04:55 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,629,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echoParkDate View Post
>> Those jobs are all in the Bay Area.

Look at 'groundskeeper'...same job, lots of so cal positions at similar pay.

'groundskeeper' search results | Transparent California

>> govt job requiring a 4 year degree in LA area pays less than $100k <<

Notice I said BLUE COLLAR. I am a software engineer. I would love to have those city bennies but the salaries are indeed ****. That's because those professions have weak unions.
Less than two pages of those making over $55k....and not even all of those are in So Cal. Like I said, your initial claims of gardeners making $42 an hour in Los Angeles were quite disingenuous. My salary range of $35-55k stands.

Old 09-17-2015, 05:08 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,784,322 times
CA needs every cent of your property tax, sale tax, gas tax, car tax, driving tax, etc. to pay their city, county, state government employees.

A typical job that requires a high school education pays $80K + overtime + benefits + other pay = $210K
bill for the taxpayers.

All salaries for Carlsbad | Transparent California

Old 09-17-2015, 05:31 PM

368 posts, read 413,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I saw your comments.

I'm just playing along, we all know this didn't happen.

Let's believe the OP actually got into a conversation with a fellow Starbucks customer( with someone isn't texting and oblivious to those around them), given the average wait time(which is pretty quick) how do get so deep into the conversation that salary comes up?

Didn't happen.
It did happen & Im sorry that seems to disappoint you. Would a hug help?

Old 09-17-2015, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
People really should have read my follow up post where I stated that neither those job classifications, nor that Department, actually exist.
My follow up post was even better. Im glad that your infinite wisdom tells you that the City Of LA doesnt have a maintenance dept. Really? Haha. Try & keep up. Thanks

Old 09-17-2015, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post

So your citing of gardeners in CA making $80-100k is quite disingenuous. Most city of LA gardeners make $35-55k.
How interesting. You are in absolute denial that the City of Los Angeles has NO Manitenance Dept Haha but, you concur that they do indeed have an established gardening division? Haha. Wow. Just...wow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles