Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 01:55 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,649,867 times

Advertisements

I cannot believe that it is still legal in L.A. to burn wood in a fireplace. I see Prius' left and right every time I'm in public, and we're incessantly told by city and state government about how we need to "think green", yet there are people who pollute as much as a hundred 1969 Chevy Novas by having a real fire in their fireplace. I'd rather live in a neighborhood where nobody's car exhaust has a catalytic converter but nobody burns wood in their fireplace, rather than be surrounded by Prius' and Nissan Leafs yet people still burn wood.

Seriously, isn't it rather obvious how toxic the smoke is from burning wood? The smoke can kill people, so why spew it into the air? Why make the air quality worse in Los Angeles? The air is actually not bad lately as a result of all the smog controls we have these days, but as soon as somebody lights a fire it's like we're in the 60's and everybody's car smells awful and people smoke everywhere.

Welcome to 2015. We have porcelain logs and fiberglass chips that look nice in a gas fireplace, sans actual wood. So go get those items and stop polluting the air. You'll thank me later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2015, 05:15 AM

1,011 posts, read 976,202 times
While we're at it, let's ban grilling with charcoal, smoking with hickory wood chips, bonfires at the beach, and roasting marshmallows at a campfire. Did I forget anything else?

Old 12-04-2015, 05:35 AM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Takes considerable cash to convert a wood burning fire place to natural gas. Buying an electric fireplace insert cost at least $100 depending on size and model. Electric fire places don't offer heat should the power goes out.

You live in California, home of massive wild fires every year, and you're concerned about some homes with wood burning fire places? What if you chased down the offending home and you find its a very poor family without enough money to turn on the electricity and gas and are using the fireplace for heat and cooking?

Old 12-04-2015, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Takes considerable cash to convert a wood burning fire place to natural gas. Buying an electric fireplace insert cost at least $100 depending on size and model. Electric fire places don't offer heat should the power goes out.

You live in California, home of massive wild fires every year, and you're concerned about some homes with wood burning fire places? What if you chased down the offending home and you find its a very poor family without enough money to turn on the electricity and gas and are using the fireplace for heat and cooking?
The last time I smelled a significant amount of toxic pollutants from a wildfire was October of 2003. However, I smell the toxic pollutants from my fires in my neighborhood almost every night lately. Furthermore, nobody is freezing to death in their homes in Los Angeles.

Old 12-05-2015, 04:39 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,899,605 times
I love the smell of burning wood. And burning leaves. Smells like autumn.

Ah, for simpler times. When families could stroll through a neighborhood on a brisk autumn or winter afternoon. Crisp, cool air. The smell of wood burning in a fireplace. And not be harangued by religious fanatics.

That's what environmental extremism is -- a religion. With its own superstitions, like global warming.

Oh, excuse me. I'd forgotten that the Ministry of Truth had changed "global warming" to "climate change." (To hide that they'd been wrong about the globe consistently warming.)

Nope, not trolling. Just one of hundreds of millions of Americans who are sick of all this green bullying.

Old 12-05-2015, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
I love the smell of burning wood. And burning leaves. Smells like autumn.

Ah, for simpler times. When families could stroll through a neighborhood on a brisk autumn or winter afternoon. Crisp, cool air. The smell of wood burning in a fireplace. And not be harangued by religious fanatics.

That's what environmental extremism is -- a religion. With its own superstitions, like global warming.

Oh, excuse me. I'd forgotten that the Ministry of Truth had changed "global warming" to "climate change." (To hide that they'd been wrong about the globe consistently warming.)

Nope, not trolling. Just one of hundreds of millions of Americans who are sick of all this green bullying.
You're zeroing the wrong person. My gripe is that I'm forced to smell the putrid smell of burning wood and I don't want to do so. And I have no control of it, since some can even creep into my home since it's not air-tight. Just one person forces everybody around them to ingest the toxins created by burning wood, and if you're somebody who pines for 'simpler times', that includes consideration for others.

Old 12-05-2015, 11:07 PM

912 posts, read 914,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I cannot believe that it is still legal in L.A. to burn wood in a fireplace. I see Prius' left and right every time I'm in public, and we're incessantly told by city and state government about how we need to "think green", yet there are people who pollute as much as a hundred 1969 Chevy Novas by having a real fire in their fireplace. I'd rather live in a neighborhood where nobody's car exhaust has a catalytic converter but nobody burns wood in their fireplace, rather than be surrounded by Prius' and Nissan Leafs yet people still burn wood.

Seriously, isn't it rather obvious how toxic the smoke is from burning wood? The smoke can kill people, so why spew it into the air? Why make the air quality worse in Los Angeles? The air is actually not bad lately as a result of all the smog controls we have these days, but as soon as somebody lights a fire it's like we're in the 60's and everybody's car smells awful and people smoke everywhere.

Welcome to 2015. We have porcelain logs and fiberglass chips that look nice in a gas fireplace, sans actual wood. So go get those items and stop polluting the air. You'll thank me later.
I have been wondering this exact same thing.

Old 12-06-2015, 06:36 AM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
The last time I smelled a significant amount of toxic pollutants from a wildfire was October of 2003. However, I smell the toxic pollutants from my fires in my neighborhood almost every night lately. Furthermore, nobody is freezing to death in their homes in Los Angeles.
Never heard of burning wood described as toxic pollutants. The inside of your home, work, and motor vehicle is toxic. Difference is you can't really smell the toxic chemicals in those places though they're worse than the hint of a scent of burning wood you smell outside. You have air fresheners in home, work, or your vehicle? If so then you have a good smelling toxic pollutant. Difference is you enjoy those smells but hate the smell of burning wood.

Old 12-06-2015, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Never heard of burning wood described as toxic pollutants. The inside of your home, work, and motor vehicle is toxic. Difference is you can't really smell the toxic chemicals in those places though they're worse than the hint of a scent of burning wood you smell outside. You have air fresheners in home, work, or your vehicle? If so then you have a good smelling toxic pollutant. Difference is you enjoy those smells but hate the smell of burning wood.
It's a matter of intensity. I don't feel as though I need a breathing apparatus because of items in my home, but I certainly feel that way when I step outside and one of my neighbors is having a fire.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:46 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,545,565 times
My simplistic understanding is that there's already a certain amount of CO2 in the atmosphere that gets cycled. Animals produce it, plants consume it, etc. Burning firewood doesn't add to that amount, it's just releasing CO2 that was already part of the cycle.

However, fossil fuels contain CO2 that has been trapped and removed from that cycle for millions of years. Burning petroleum releases that previously trapped CO2 and does increase the overall amount that the system has to deal with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles