Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2016, 08:16 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
Net worth is also imperfect since it disproportionately punishes savers versus spenders.
Exactly. Disgruntled wants to punish the other guy for being a good saver (potentially) and not blowing every penny on crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2016, 11:50 AM

271 posts, read 214,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
Yes. It might not make sense, but isn't this whole thread about a tax on millionaires, based only on income? If la disgruntled doesn't think it makes sense for the challenge, then how can they say it makes sense for the tax?
Imo income tax in general doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Especially when you can have the majority of financially successful people paying capital gains rates on the large proportion of their wealth.

Sales tax or net assets is better.

I thought CR and disgruntled were going at it in multiple threads about giving money to charity. I don't think it's entirely about this 1 tax.

Old 07-02-2016, 12:02 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
lol, just because I speak for the underrepresented does not mean I am one.
So... you're both self-important AND a self-appointed spokeswoman?

Old 07-02-2016, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post

also, lots of homeles s hispanics and filipinos.
Does he have a point? Anyone?

Old 07-02-2016, 12:09 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,558,340 times
Homeless people need help.

Old 07-02-2016, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yermum View Post
Imo income tax in general doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
Imagine for a minute you go to the grocery store to buy a gallon of milk. You wait in line at the cashier, and notice the person in front of you is buying a gallon just like you.

The cashier charges the person in front of you $3.49 for a gallon of milk; she pays and then leaves. Then the cashier rings you up: $5.99 for the same gallon of milk.

"Wait. You only charged the woman in front of me $3.49 for a gallon of milk, and you want to charge me $5.99? There must be some mistake."

"Oh there is no mistake; you make more money than she does so you can afford $5.99 for milk while she can only afford $3.49."

Clearly, the only fair method is to charge the same price for milk to everyone.

Taxes are used to purchase government services. There is no reason to charge one person more than another simply because he earns more.

Everyone benefits - everyone should pay the same.

Old 07-02-2016, 03:48 PM

10,032 posts, read 9,507,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
What, in all the articles, videos, and discussions regarding the use of millionaire taxes has given you the idea that those taxes would move down the income scale? Every word has always indicated moving up the scale.

Even many of the 1% have acknowledged and accepted the fact that they can better afford to contribute to tax revenues better than any other members of our society.
Read on.........

LA City Council votes to put new tax on November ballot to help homeless

So much for only taxing the rich.

Old 07-02-2016, 10:43 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Imagine for a minute you go to the grocery store to buy a gallon of milk. You wait in line at the cashier, and notice the person in front of you is buying a gallon just like you.

The cashier charges the person in front of you $3.49 for a gallon of milk; she pays and then leaves. Then the cashier rings you up: $5.99 for the same gallon of milk.

"Wait. You only charged the woman in front of me $3.49 for a gallon of milk, and you want to charge me $5.99? There must be some mistake."

"Oh there is no mistake; you make more money than she does so you can afford $5.99 for milk while she can only afford $3.49."

Taxes are used to purchase government services. There is no reason to charge one person more than another simply because he earns more.

Someone could make $5k a year, and another person could make 5 million a year. There is no way you can charge them the same amount of taxes. Taxation is not the same as going to the grocery store.

And people with more money often chose to go to expensive grocery stores like Whole Foods.

Old 07-03-2016, 12:42 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,307,390 times
Quote:

Wealthier people benefit from better city services. A homicide in the Westside will get 100x more resources and scrutiny than one in South Central. That bumpy road, dangerous stop sign, or pile of trash on Sunset Blvd in the Golden Triangle will get patched up quick - but what about one on Gage? Palisades High School vs Jefferson high school? Need I even explain?

Old 07-03-2016, 07:40 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,011,395 times
Quote:

By far the worst analogy for regressive taxes I have read in my life. And I can't just get back the time I wasted reading this post. How's that flat rate income tax working out for Chicago and Illinois?

Yea.

Thought so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles