Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2017, 12:51 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,102,616 times

Advertisements

We are planning on visiting family this winter; family lives in Sherman Oaks. We will be traveling with 2 toddlers and would prefer to stay someplace with as much to do on-site as possible, restaurants, a pool... Something on the beach would be outstanding. We would prefer to not be more than 45 minutes from LAX or Sherman Oaks. When I try to google this, I get so many results, most of which are not even that close to LA? Any suggestions or advice?
Also would it be best to rent a car, or can you Uber and use your own car seats (which would take several minutes to install and uninstall) or is there another transportation option?
Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 04:53 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,828,867 times
There are not really any resorts in LA. If you want to be on the beach then Santa Monica is probably the only option that would be 45 minutes to both places, but depending on traffic Santa Monica to Sherman Oaks. If you leave Santa Monica between 2pm and 7 pm on a weekday it could realistically take you 1hr 45 minutes but it would probably be closer to an hour as long as nothing crazy is happening on the 405. Anyplace else on the beach will be worse traffic wise. Santa Monica has plenty to do for families.

If you have 2 car seats I would just rent a car and not deal with hassles of taking the seat out and putting it back in. You will be driving everywhere in LA so think about putting car seat in and taking it out 6+ times per day if you are doing tourist stuff, going out to eat, visiting family etc

Old 07-09-2017, 06:48 PM

908 posts, read 1,305,414 times
As noted, you don't exactly have too many beach resorts in LA.

However, some places come to mind like Loews and Shutters in Santa Monica. They are pricey and I'm not sure if there are as geared for families with young children. Have never stayed there so can't say for sure.

Other potential options are Intercontinental in Century City or places like the Four Seasons and Beverly Hilton in Beverly Hills. These hotels are not too far from the beach as long as you leave for the beach in and around Santa Monica early in the morning or after the morning rush.

Old 07-09-2017, 09:43 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,400,320 times
There is only one true ocean resort in LA County that I am aware of and that is Terranea in Palos Verdes. Too far from Sherman Oaks to work for you OP.

http://www.terranea.com/

I'd rather stay in Santa Monica anyway...

Old 07-10-2017, 01:43 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,667,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
There is only one true ocean resort in LA County that I am aware of and that is Terranea in Palos Verdes. Too far from Sherman Oaks to work for you OP.

http://www.terranea.com/

I'd rather stay in Santa Monica anyway...
Terranea is pretty pricey but nice. There are a couple of beach resorts along the Malibu coast for consideration as well.

Old 07-10-2017, 02:47 PM

240 posts, read 240,756 times
Agreeing with everyone on Santa Monica. You'd be able to walk to restaurants from there. The problem with the traffic is going thru the mountains to get back and forth is where the biggest bottleneck is. So avoid traveling from Sherman Oaks to the beach communities at rush hour. If cost is a concern, you could probably go as far south as the Marina but keep in mind it'll add some more time to your travel to SO.

Also I think Uber black has car seats already - but I would personally rent the car and bring my own and not have to worry about installing/removing all the time. Much easier.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:54 AM

Thanks folks. Sounds like I need to check out Santa Monica! Socl88 I'll check out those places you mentioned too. DH would like to be on the beach... I'd be happy with at least a hotel with some things to do on site or within walking distance if it meant not having to deal with crazy traffic.

Old 07-16-2017, 10:09 AM

4,627 posts, read 3,400,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacreole View Post
Terranea is pretty pricey but nice. There are a couple of beach resorts along the Malibu coast for consideration as well.
There are no beach "resorts" in Malibu. There are a few small motels/hotels located on the beach.

Old 07-16-2017, 01:59 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,309,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
We are planning on visiting family this winter; family lives in Sherman Oaks. We will be traveling with 2 toddlers and would prefer to stay someplace with as much to do on-site as possible, restaurants, a pool... Something on the beach would be outstanding. We would prefer to not be more than 45 minutes from LAX or Sherman Oaks. When I try to google this, I get so many results, most of which are not even that close to LA? Any suggestions or advice?
Also would it be best to rent a car, or can you Uber and use your own car seats (which would take several minutes to install and uninstall) or is there another transportation option?
Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!
Definitely get a car. The hassle of taking them in an out of taxis is crazy.
Just out of curiosity, why not ask the family who lives in Sherman Oaks these very questions?

Old 07-16-2017, 03:40 PM

I have found that when you live somewhere, you are often the least savvy of what places are best for travelers. Also, this relative has no kids and isn't knowledgeable about what kid friendly or family friendly is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles