Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 06:49 AM

20 posts, read 43,854 times

Advertisements

hey! we're planning our move to LA this fall. we're looking mainly at Echo Park, Silverlake, Los Feliz, beachwood canyon, and downtown. I'm becoming increasingly interested in downtown - we're coming from Manhattan, and as much as I'd love a little bungalow with plants and trees, our budget basically tops out at 2500, and ideally would stay around 2000, and we'd like space for a second bedroom if possible (or just a large enough 1 BR that we could portion off space). It seems hard to find much that's really nice for that price in the nice parts of the other neighborhoods I mentioned. Downtown has some amazing-looking lofts, and I really like that it's being revitalized - we were just there a month or two ago, and I really enjoyed the vibe downtown, like something is starting to really happen there. I also really like the idea of a rooftop pool!
ANYWAY - there are so many loft buildings, and I don't have any friends who have lived in them, and the online reviews are hard to judge by (it seems like every single building has terrible ratings - mostly because of gripes with management problems from years ago). There must be SOMEBODY on city-data who lives downtown and knows some of these places!

1. SB lofts. There's SB tower, SB Spring, etc - they all look beautiful - SB seems to own about 5 apt buildings downtown. Any word on them? Are they nice? they have weird reviews online, but they're huuuuuge buildings - there must be people who like living there....?

2. South Park Lofts. This building looks amazing to me, and I have read here on city-data that south park is the safest, nicest part of downtown to live in. i can't find any reviews online about them. but from pictures alone, it's my favorite....

3. The Met?

4. Santee court?

5. Little Tokyo lofts

ANY OTHERS? There are sooo many, and it's just overwhelming! Also, if anybody has lived downtown (RECENTLY), I'd love to hear more about the experience living in the neighborhood, safety, etc.

Thanks in advance! I know there's a lot on this topic, but I couldn't find anything recent about these particular buildings

Last edited by kjeb12; 06-04-2012 at 06:50 AM.. Reason: typo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 01:12 PM

142 posts, read 273,126 times
I recommend little Tokyo it is the cleanest and safest plus theres lots of shops and stuff close by.
Wish you luck finding something nice and affordable.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:14 PM

thank you! i really appreciate it. Little Tokyo did seem very clean and safe.
do you know about any good loft buildings there other than the "little tokyo lofts?"

Old 06-04-2012, 08:15 PM

33 posts, read 109,927 times
Hi kjeb12, We moved our live/work design office from Downtown (Little Tokyo) to Echo Park and must say each have their own fantastic & very different but great appeal. We were a fixture in downtown before the boom and have really seen strong positive changes as well as a growing community. The area downtown that feels most like NYC at the moment is Spring st. especially between 4th & 6th. “Spring arts tower” is a great old building with friends who love it (though it may be for work only) That said, other sections like Little Tokyo and the Arts district are great too and has been building a strong following & community with each passing year. As far as safety, downtown is not less safe than any other large city. Being from NYC....Downtown LA would be no big deal for safety. Also, the homeless do not really bother most folks. Here are some quick info about sections & lofts I know:
Little Tokyo:

1. Little Tokyo Lofts: Co-worker said he loved it a lot. Studio space was roomy enough for 2 people and a pet. Good walking distance to amenities like restaurants & shops, groceries, bars & cafes. Cons: right at the border of homeless section of DTLA. Amazingly, most of the homeless do keep to their sections. Asked Co-worker about the homeless....their reply was they were never bothered or threatened by them. Would I feel safe living there....yes! (female in the arts, very urban)
To Consider.... the Arts district:
  1. Toy Factory & Biscuit Company Lofts: Arts district section of Downtown but close to Little Tokyo. Developed and managed by Linear City who seem to be good owner/managers as they are a smaller group an imbed themselves into the city of LA. Nice local community, market restaurant and café at street level. They have a few other developments but they are still on process of converting. One of the partners has a space within which explains why it may be managed well. Of all the developers, they were one of the firsts & seem to take into consideration of the historical aspects of their buildings and site.
  2. Barker Block Lofts: nice spaces when I toured....Pretty safe area Little Tokyo is walking distance. Sci Arc is down the street. Easy access in & out of downtown.
  3. South Park Area: One thing to consider with South Park area would be traffic around Staples center during game days and Convention Center events.
    With the other sections you are considering (Silver lake, Echo Park, Los Feliz etc....DTLA is easily accessible from those areas too. So if you do find that “little bungalow with plants and trees” you can always get your urban fix. We are in the hills of Echo Park & DTLA is a 2 minute trip down Sunset. Hope this helps.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:28 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,237,365 times
I liked Santee Village/lofts very much. My favorite, however is the Chapman Flats at 8th and Broadway. The views are spectacular and that stretch of Broadway is ripe for renovation and updating. Close to alot of great d-town spots, including the Orpheum, Ralphs, Fashion District, etc.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:39 PM

wow, thank you so much to all of you. This is incredibly helpful!!! Magisan, I am going to check out all of those buildings you recommended. Is the Arts District a safe area at night, etc? I hadn't thought about traffic in south park, that's an excellent point. My goodness, if I could find a large enough place to live in Echo Park hills, I would be the happiest person ever!! I love that area, with Chango and the yoga place and all the adorable, interesting houses up there. That's at the top of our list of areas to live, next to Silverlake hills (seriously doubt we could afford that). We'll see what we can find, whether it's downtown or there!

Nickdahammer, thank you!!! I heard a lot about Santee. I think I've seen some postings for Chapman Flats. Is that in a safe area? I wonder how expensive it is. I will look it up now!

I'm so thankful for all of this advice! Keep it coming!!! It gets overwhelming, surfing through 5 bajillion postings on craigslist! I'm so excited to move back West!

Old 06-04-2012, 09:48 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,119,845 times
I wanna live downtown. It looks like a good alternative to NYC since I hear NYC is extremely expensive. Maybe when I'm 30 lol. 5 years down the line, DTLA should be alot more improved.. Right?

Old 06-04-2012, 11:31 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,773,093 times
Los Angeles doesn't really have a downtown like Manhattan, and the area near University of Southern California is said not to be safe. You are better off looking in the Hollywood area; pedestrian friendly and many lofts.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:27 AM

938 posts, read 4,095,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
I wanna live downtown. It looks like a good alternative to NYC since I hear NYC is extremely expensive. Maybe when I'm 30 lol. 5 years down the line, DTLA should be alot more improved.. Right?
How? The two are hardly comparable. Have you visited both Downtown LA and NYC/Manhattan?

Old 06-05-2012, 10:16 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,865,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timeofseasons View Post
Los Angeles doesn't really have a downtown like Manhattan, and the area near University of Southern California is said not to be safe. You are better off looking in the Hollywood area; pedestrian friendly and many lofts.
Downtown LA is more like Manhattan than Hollywood - not that Hollywood isn't pedestrian-friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles