Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 01:36 AM

9 posts, read 5,008 times

Advertisements

Dear Forum members,

I am moving from Europe to Los Angeles. Need some advice on following:
- general costs of living: rental prices of simple accommodation, average living costs for a one person household
- in which area of Los Angeles one can best start as a newcomer; criteria cost-effectiveness and central in the sense to allow me to start rebuilding my life
- what type of registrations I need to get setteled (insurance, employment health etc.) and what does it cost
- would like to get started in the hospitality industry; any advice how I can register (university graduate in food processing and catering)
- any other relevant advice to get my life started immediately

Expect to arrive end of Q1-2018 | beginning Q2-2018.

Any referals are welcome!

Thank you all for your advice & assistance.

Last edited by volosong; 01-16-2018 at 04:17 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 04:17 AM

6,358 posts, read 7,776,492 times
I don't want to discourage you too much, but keep in mind that while Los Angeles is not the most expensive city in the world in which to live, it is close to the top of the list. Pay in the service sector economy rarely pays enough in L.A. to afford a comfortable existence.

The only registration or license that I can envision you needing is a business license and that is if you were to start a new business yourself, as the owner. A "Business License", (and probably health inspections for your establishment if you are to serve food).

I won't tell you it can't be done, because it has and one of the strengths of this country is her immigrants and their ability to succeed through hard work and perseverance. Good luck. You have taken on a monumental task.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 01-16-2018, 08:14 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
OP how are you planning on moving to America without a job, etc? You do know you need a work visa don't you and that is only available to people with jobs? A temporary visa will only allow you stay a certain amount of time. As for the col in Los Angeles, well let's just say L.A. has one of the highest number of street people in the country. What makes you want to move there so much? How many times have you visited the city and do you have family living there? If you do have family and/or friends there I would suggest you start by asking them the questions you are asking here.

Old 01-16-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
You do know you need a work visa
I am a green card holder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
If you do have family and/or friends there I would suggest you start by asking them the questions you are asking here.
I will be completely new and have no family there and friends I will make once I arrive.

I am preparing myself best as I can, will have some financial leverage but need some practical information/advice. Anything else you can help me with?

Old 01-16-2018, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
I don't want to discourage you too much, ...... it has and one of the strengths of this country is her immigrants and their ability to succeed through hard work and perseverance. Good luck. You have taken on a monumental task.
Thanks for your kind message and your encouragement. Hard Work is my middle name and Perseverance has taken me to the US. I am aware of the monumental task and yes I need good luck but most of all some practical information and advice.

Other than the books and through googling, I am hoping that I can get some valueable advice and information here on this forum.

Wish you and all members/visitors of this Forum a great day!

Old 01-16-2018, 02:14 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,583,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbornUSA View Post
Dear Forum members,

I am moving from Europe to Los Angeles. Need some advice on following:
- general costs of living: rental prices of simple accommodation, average living costs for a one person household

Try Zillow, Trulia, and Craigslist LA - Note that LA is HUGE. You need to narrow down your search to a couple of specific areas. You are not going to have a credit history which probably means you need a big deposit and/or an understanding landlord. You might consider staying in an AirBnB and getting a job nearby at a restaurant first before you sign a lease.

- in which area of Los Angeles one can best start as a newcomer; criteria cost-effectiveness and central in the sense to allow me to start rebuilding my life

- what type of registrations I need to get setteled (insurance, employment health etc.) and what does it cost

You need a driver's licenses - easy. Probably a car/bike/motorbike. You won't have health insurance but you can go the emergency room if you have a urgent need. You don't need any other registrations. Oh, make sure you apply and receive a Social Security card from SSA.gov.

- would like to get started in the hospitality industry; any advice how I can register (university graduate in food processing and catering)
- any other relevant advice to get my life started immediately

Expect to arrive end of Q1-2018 | beginning Q2-2018.

Any referals are welcome!

Thank you all for your advice & assistance.
The above is far too vague to offer useful advice. Try searching and applying to some schools. This may also solve your housing problem. You can get a job once you arrive in the US. This should be easy if you are not picky.

Old 01-16-2018, 02:32 PM

Thanks for your response and your positivity! That already helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Try searching and applying to some schools.
What do you mean by that?

Your other comments already provides me with some direction. Thanks again!

Have a great day.

Old 01-16-2018, 03:15 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,583,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbornUSA View Post
Thanks for your response and your positivity! That already helps.

What do you mean by that?

Your other comments already provides me with some direction. Thanks again!

Have a great day.
You stated...

would like to get started in the hospitality industry; any advice how I can register (university graduate in food processing and catering)

sorry, I misread this as you wanting to attend a school but you are already a graduate - yes. Perhaps look up the top 10 hotels in LA and apply for jobs online listing your address as an LA Post Office box.

Last edited by Vacanegro; 01-16-2018 at 03:28 PM..

Old 01-16-2018, 03:28 PM

Thanks again for your valuable advice! I should have thought about that myself. Will follow-up and thanks again! And contacting schools I still consider a good idea. Also they have a network with some valuable contacts.

Old 01-17-2018, 09:52 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
op, I know something about green cards and am a bit confused. How are you eligible for one without family here, a job lined up or have acceptance into a university? it isn't likely you were just granted a card without meeting certain requirements. Maybe if you explained a little better it would make more sense. And why in the world did you choose Los Angeles when the col is among the highest in the country?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles