Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2017, 10:14 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,672,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The mayors of London, Los Angeles, Paris and several other major world cities are pledging to ban gasoline and diesel vehicles from "large parts" of their cities by 2030.
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/23/worl...s-by-2030.html

So we will not be enforcing federal laws regarding immigration or marijuana, and if you're homeless you're free to live wherever you like and make your tinkles and poops wherever, but combustion engine users will be chased down and cited by law enforcement? Seriously?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 11:33 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,262,972 times
If you get rid of gas-powered cars - especially pre-2003 models - you can more easily control transportation, and thusly the people.

LA could just be a testing ground.

Old 10-24-2017, 12:12 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,475,684 times
"to make their cities cleaner and quieter" ...couldn't Garcetti get started on that today but cleaning up the Hepatitis and human fecal splattered streets of L.A and all the homeless tents and shopping carts that breed disease and filth?

Also there are tons of industrial polluters especially in the valley and the city does nothing about it.

I'm guessing they give generous donations (bribes)? Just like the developers of Seabreeze etc?

Old 10-24-2017, 08:51 AM

8,344 posts, read 6,438,626 times
Yeah and were suppose to have flying cars by now was predicted in the past. Surely these morons see cars everywhere, freeways are all busy constantly, streete too and these people aren't taking joy rides, their going somewhere they need to go.

Old 10-24-2017, 11:42 AM

672 posts, read 2,176,441 times
If human-caused climate change is real, reducing the number of cars is something we need to be doing.

Your argument is "but wait! other things are wrong, so we should do nothing until everything that annoys me is fixed first."

Your argument is invalid.

Old 10-24-2017, 01:59 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,475,684 times
Dear Mayor is in Paris preaching freedom and liberation.

Wow lol

Who is really buying what Garbacetti is peddling ?
--

“People think they are free when they’re sitting by themselves in traffic,” said L.A. Mayor Eric Garcetti on a panel at CityLab Paris Tuesday morning. “We’re trying to get people to realize that that’s not what liberation looks like.”

In Garcetti’s eyes, freedom is sharing a ride, and not strictly on new Metro lines. It could be inside a ZipCar or an Uber, he suggests, hailing a shuttle or renting a bike, or eventually, inside a shared, self-driving car. That’s a long way off, but L.A. was one of, if not the first metro in the U.S. to articulate specific policies related to autonomous vehicles inside its mobility strategy released in 2016.

https://www.citylab.com/transportati...r-life/543783/

Old 10-24-2017, 02:05 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,672,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike121 View Post
If human-caused climate change is real, reducing the number of cars is something we need to be doing.

Your argument is "but wait! other things are wrong, so we should do nothing until everything that annoys me is fixed first."

Your argument is invalid.
Don't know to whom that's addressed, but I for one have no desire to give up either of my combustion engine cars, and I believe I speak for the million or so of car/motorcycle/truck enthusiasts in the L.A. area. Car cruises and canyon runs are one of the last things I enjoy in this city, especially given my close proximity to the SM mountains, and this warning shot fired by Cuckcetti at my ilk is not something I'm terribly enthused about.

Old 10-24-2017, 10:35 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,616,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Dear Mayor is in Paris preaching freedom and liberation.

Wow lol

Who is really buying what Garbacetti is peddling ?
--

“People think they are free when they’re sitting by themselves in traffic,” said L.A. Mayor Eric Garcetti on a panel at CityLab Paris Tuesday morning. “We’re trying to get people to realize that that’s not what liberation looks like.”

In Garcetti’s eyes, freedom is sharing a ride, and not strictly on new Metro lines. It could be inside a ZipCar or an Uber, he suggests, hailing a shuttle or renting a bike, or eventually, inside a shared, self-driving car. That’s a long way off, but L.A. was one of, if not the first metro in the U.S. to articulate specific policies related to autonomous vehicles inside its mobility strategy released in 2016.

https://www.citylab.com/transportati...r-life/543783/
He's half right here, in that dependence on a car in Los Angeles has become a joyless and sad addiction rather than anything liberating, and that driving has become just another monkey on one's back. Garcetti does bear some blame for bringing this situation about, via road diets and refusal to maintain streets etc.

That said, Los Angeles today offers the worst of both worlds - car ownership has become a liability like in NY or SF, but, at the same time, there are major holes in the transit system and way too much of the city has no alternatives to driving.

If he wants to get more cars off the road and more people out of their cars, there is an easy way - start enforcing DUI laws and laws against texting and phoning while driving.

Old 10-24-2017, 11:00 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,934,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
He's half right here, in that dependence on a car in Los Angeles has become a joyless and sad addiction rather than anything liberating, and that driving has become just another monkey on one's back.

You're obviously driving the wrong car.

If he wants to get more cars off the road and more people out of their cars, there is an easy way - start enforcing DUI laws and laws against texting and phoning while driving.

Or they could RE-enforce the impounding of illegal alien's cars which was stopped by Special Order 7.

They can have my Porsche when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

Old 10-24-2017, 11:12 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,616,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
They can have my Porsche when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.
Getting rid of Special Order 7 would certainly help, but it wouldn't solve the whole problem.

DUI enforcement affects the whole population. Repealing Special Order 7 has no effect on non-illegals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles