Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 09:42 PM

307 posts, read 242,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah seems a little crazy to pay that much per unit considering the immediate area currently lots of homeless , pretty gritty etc
It’s a Chinese developer so I’m wondering if a lot of the units are being sold to Chinese or foreign investors .

It does seem there is a lack of new for sale condos versus rental units . I read one stat it was like 4 or 5x of the new developments were apartments versus condos in downtown .

Yeah it can use more retail in the area . That retail in Flushing looks nice . Stayed in Long Island city last time I went to nyc but I’m sure a lot different now and will develop a lot more with the new Amazon HQ coming .

Astoria, Queens sounds like a cool area
I'm thinking they'll eventually push the homeless out of the area. Skid Row is literally surrounded at every angle by new development. Its only a matter of time til developers will want those parcels of land. Too much money to be made in downtown now and into the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2018, 10:16 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro1000 View Post
I'm thinking they'll eventually push the homeless out of the area. Skid Row is literally surrounded at every angle by new development. Its only a matter of time til developers will want those parcels of land. Too much money to be made in downtown now and into the future.
The area is unique in that all those RSO buildings are zoned like that permanently . No doubt in another city without these types of restrictions the situation would be very different .

Although there was a recent article in June about the city’s plans to “gentrify “ skid row .
So things may change .

Although the mayor said this which doesn’t sound realistic ..

“Mayor Eric Garcetti, in a statement, said the city is doing “everything in its power” to keep skid row residents in downtown, including passing an ordinance that requires replacing every demolished or converted residential hotel room at the same affordability level”
https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...615-story.html

The local politicians receive a ton of money from developers . The councilman in charge of the downtown area Just had his offices raided recently , it seems like it’s likely some type of corruption involving developers

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...120-story.html

Old 11-21-2018, 05:13 PM

567 posts, read 431,336 times
I recently attended a Friday night concert at the Orpheum Theater on Broadway. When the concert came to an end, at about 10:30 PM, we exited the theater and found Broadway crowded with people enjoying the night. What a pleasant surprise. It was also my first time at the Orpheum Theater. Just beautiful !!!

Old 11-21-2018, 05:16 PM

567 posts, read 431,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
I think Broadway and old Downtown (Historic Core) is in a steady upswing. Despite the development and gentrificaiton, it is maybe 1/3 of the way towards a "completion" A lot of the new development and residents live in other parts of Downtown like Little Tokyo, South Park, City West, Arts District, Chinatown.
Old Downtown has done great work on Spring Street but less so on Main, Broadway, Hill Street. To me these seemed underused or underutilized. Some are turning into residential lofts or office space.

Near 11th/Broadway are 4 historic buildings. 3 tall brick buildings and the Historic Herald Examiner building. Examiner with turn into an upscale restaurant below and Arizona State University Downtown LA offices for one of its programs. Two of brick buildings will open next year as the Hoxton Hotel and Proper Hotel (boutique hotels). The 3rd tall brick building is going to be converted into offices. Another hotel is going to be built next to this hotel.

Around Olympic Blvd/Broadway to 9th street. You have 2 newly completed residential buildings in the brick style. One has the upscale West Elm home furnishings store. Have Ace Hotel and few other buildings getting fixed up.

On Broadway between 9th-8th street. You have Eastern Columbia building which opened up the upscale Theory clothing store. Other boutique shops. Broadway Bar. Unami Burger, Urban Outfitters. Apple Store under renovation at the historic Tower Theater and a flagship Vans shoe store next door to it. Across is the massive Broadway trade center building. Anyone who has passed by recently has seen how the cleaning of the exterior is so bright and new. But inside it is gutted. But here is an article to explain some history and plans for this massive building. https://urbanize.la/post/exclusive-u...y-trade-center

Years ago there was talk of a streetcar along Broadway to spur development and tourism in Downtown. While expensive and slow, and some loss in interests due to Downtown already spurring lots of development without it, it could still happen. I wish Broadway would become more of a pedestrian street with a streetcar, some buses, maybe a single car lane. But mostly wide sidewalks, lots of small trees. sidewalk restaurants, cafes and wide enough sidewalks for pedestrians to walk. It can be the premiere shopping/dining street.

Currently it looks like a hodgepodge of different eras and various levels of renovation/gentrification. The homeless issue is less noticable in this area compared to prior years. Remember when tent camps near the Angels Flight park and around Metro stations at Pershing Square and 4th street. Now, there isnt so much as most have been pushed to Skid Row. IF LA can decentralize Skid Row and reduce homeless population downtown, then expect Downtown and the Historic old Downtown area to explode in activity. One of the big reasons many avoid Downtown especially the historic area are the homeless, addicts, drug dealers, mentally ill. But if that can be reduced, while at the same time development and renovation of Downtown is happening, then watch out. Downtown is unstoppable. OK time to calm down. Getting too optimistically excited.
I love your take on DTLA.

Old 11-22-2018, 07:44 PM

4,212 posts, read 3,296,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro1000 View Post
DTLA is becoming a force of nature. I even think it'll overtake Hollywood as the go to place for nightlife in a couple of years. I'm sure there's already people who prefer DTLA over Hollywood already.
Didn't realize my thread was still alive.

I'd say it's already overtaken Hollywood. I went to the Modern Times DTLA Dojo a few weeks back and the whole area was teeming with dressed to the nines people. If I understand L.A. history, from 1890-1960 DTLA was always, by far, the place to be, with Hollywood nowhere even close. If Broadway is fully restored, DTLA will easily have this status again, with the addition of the new skyscrapers in south park, bunker hill, planned scrapes in the arts district.

Old 11-22-2018, 08:26 PM

4,212 posts, read 3,296,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah that Ivy Station development being built by the rail is massive .

Culver City hopes its $300-million Ivy Station complex will lure people who don

Culver City is definitely not the sleepy town it was when I was younger . I can remember before they had the downtown Culver City area .

——
“Culver City's unremitting makeover from bland suburbia to pedestrian-friendly destination with upscale restaurants, gastropubs and cutting-edge businesses is picking up speed with the Expo Line now zipping through town.
The 15-year transformation has already turned the formerly insulated bedroom community into more of an urban hub, but even bigger changes are coming as developers stake claim on more than $1 billion worth of projects that will rise close to the light-rail tracks.”
I had to go to Culver City on tuesday just to renew my DL. Got off of Expo right by this, it is huge. Other than the Expo, CC does not seem as "pedestrian friendly" as the surrounding areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles