Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2020, 06:23 PM

2 posts, read 1,501 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating to LA in the next month for work and I'm looking for a nice neighborhood for a 1 bedroom apartment. I will be working in Century City (when we return to the office).

I will travel a lot for work so I'm not planning on buying a car when I get here, so I am also looking for a place within 30 min via public transportation to Century City whenever I do need to be in the office.

My research shows West LA is a good place to begin my search but also very interested in hearing input from the locals on the forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2020, 08:10 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,300,113 times
Brentwood https://hotpads.com/westwood-los-ang...2500-3000&z=15

Old 08-14-2020, 10:35 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,388,084 times
Look into Culver City. especially near the station. A lot of new businesses opening up because of all the new construction with residential. Downtown Culver City isnt huge but it has nice walkable neighborhood scene. You could save some money and live in Palms (LA neighborhood) just across Venice Blvd from Culver City Borders. Lots of restaurants and some bars. The film industry with Sony Pictures and Amazon studis (aka culver studios) so maybe some Hollywoodness in the area???

Century City is only 4 miles north. You can get an electric bike/scooter and get there to work as an option.

Old 08-14-2020, 10:55 PM

823 posts, read 1,056,376 times
What is your budget? Brentwood is lovely, but it's 50 min by bus to Century City. Culver City is good, but ditto re bus, as it's a connecting service. I'd look at the other adjacent areas, they are all pretty safe, all have a direct bus route along either Pico, Olympic or Santa Monica Blvds so generally a 20ish min ride. Rancho Park, Beverly Hills and Beverlywood are very close, you could probably walk from some parts. West LA, Sawtelle, Palms (the least safe area nearby, but still pretty safe overall), Westwood, West Hollywood, you could make any of them work in terms of a commute.

If you are going to be travelling out of LAX, bear that in mind when you make your choice. Westerly choices will obviously be a lot faster to the airport than Beverly Hills (but it's still not too bad from there either).

Old 08-15-2020, 12:27 AM

Century City, walking distance to Century City.
Though, this address is too close to SM Blvd and may be noisy.
https://hotpads.com/10275-missouri-a...2500-3000&z=15

There are many apartments in Beverly Hills in your price range.

Old 08-15-2020, 08:29 AM

2 posts, read 1,501 times
Thanks for all of the posts. Budget is in $2500-3000 range.

Would West Hollywood be unfeasible? If I'm planning to use public transportation whenever I need to get to the office?

Old 08-15-2020, 11:44 AM

1,631 posts, read 2,388,084 times
West Hollywood is fine. I think the bus on Santa Monica Blvd I think the #4/#704 connects Century City to West Hollywood. So if you rely on public transit, then find a place near on Santa Monica Blvd

Old 08-16-2020, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternLuke View Post
Thanks for all of the posts. Budget is in $2500-3000 range.

Would West Hollywood be unfeasible? If I'm planning to use public transportation whenever I need to get to the office?
Check the schedules and routes on https://www.metro.net/
Buses that run on the major East-West streets (Sunset, Santa Monica, Melrose, 3rd, Wilshire) arrive relatively often.
If you'll have to use an additional South-North bus, you'll have to wait much longer.

With $3,000, you should be able to find a very nice place close to a bus station.

Old 08-16-2020, 05:05 PM

823 posts, read 1,056,376 times
West Hollywood is definitely feasible with that budget, but prob stick to the westerly parts or your commute will stretch. Also, Santa Monica Blvd is generally much, much slower than Olympic and Pico, whether in bus or car, just something else to bear in mind.

I'm assuming you don't have kids as you didn't ask about schools. I think the whole West Hollywood/mid-Wilshire/Melrose/Beverly Grove/3rd St area is a great option for a single person. Plenty to do within walking distance, lots of cafes, restaurants, bars, live theatre, museums, etc. All mostly closed at the moment, but this too shall pass! Multiple public transport options along the blvds. If you like the sound of that, I'd look in the area bounded by roughly Doheny in the west, Pico in the south, La Brea in the east and prob Santa Monica in the north.

Couple of things to think about - in summer it's usually at least 10 degrees hotter there than the coast (which is either good or bad, depending on your preference). Pay attention to traffic patterns, appearances can be deceptive depending on the time of day. And it is quite a lot more dense than further west, many more apartment buildings. But still fairly low-rise overall and there's some wonderful older buildings in that area too, big windows, high ceilings, etc. If I could ditch the family and work close by, I'd live in that area in a heartbeat!

Old 08-16-2020, 08:57 PM

62 posts, read 58,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternLuke View Post
I'm relocating to LA in the next month for work and I'm looking for a nice neighborhood for a 1 bedroom apartment. I will be working in Century City (when we return to the office).
You are renting at the right time. Rent prices across LA are down, way down, for obvious reasons. Apartments that were above $4000 p/m before covid are now under $3000 p/m.

A lot of the big apartment buildings are also giving 6 or 8 weeks free to move ins. e.g. Check out https://www.avaloncommunities.com/ca...les-apartments to see what they offer. They have buildings across LA. AVA Hollywood has some very cheap deals for the location they are in, probably because they just opened shortly before covid struck.

Whatever you do, sign the longest lease you can(that you will need). Prices will go up sharply again at some point so the longer you can lock in the current low rents, the better. There is no rent control for newer apartments in LA and they can raise the rent as much as they like on renewal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles