Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2008, 05:07 PM

4 posts, read 21,324 times

Advertisements

Hi... I am a recent transplant to the LA area after a 3 year stint in Boston (I am originally from India). I will be attending USC starting this fall for a graduate program. I've been looking for an apt. to rent with not much luck. I started with concentrating in the Los Feliz area since a lot of other ppl from the program seemed to be living there and it feels like an easy commute to USC (I have driven in India but just getting started with learning how to drive in the US). However I have either just not liked the places which I saw or they seem to be out of my budget (which I have expanded to $1350 p.m.).
As told by everyone from the area, I have done the whole driving past places to look for rental signs, even going at night to check out the neighborhood. Safety, relatively easy access to school (I liked the fact that I could use inside streets to get there from Los Feliz as the freeways make me a bit nervous right now!) and a quiet, clean neighborhood are my priorities (I'm a single woman, 30 y.o).
I had a chance to see the Hollywood Hills area yesterday when visiting a friend... loved the apartment buildings and the wonderful views but I wonder how quiet it would be and more importantly how much longer would it take for me to reach USC.
So here are my questions:
1. In general, what's a safer/ nicer area: Los Feliz, H'wood Hills or West Hollywood?
2. In terms of the commute (esp being able to drive on streets) what's a better bet?
3. Keeping my budget in mind (1350 for a studio or 1br) what would make the most sense?
4. Of the three areas I mention, which one would have walking access to a grocery store etc.? (I know certain parts of Los Feliz do)
I thank in advance anyone who takes out the time to answer this post. I would genuinely appreciate just about any advice you have for me. I am quite frustrated with the apartment hunt and just wary of getting stuck in an unpleasant situation for a whole year!
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 05:13 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,199,581 times
Los Feliz would be the closest, safest, and probably the cheapest. The Hollywood Hills are very expensive and there aren't that many apartments in that area anyways. West Hollywood is getting farther from USC and also tends to be more expensive. Los Feliz is directly north of USC on Vermont (easy bus access if you were so inclined). The prices are fairly reasonable in that area considering it is an overall nice neighborhood. It is also very walkable, with a grocery store and many shops in the area. Everything else would only be a short drive away. However, parking there is notoriously bad. Make sure your apartment comes with a parking spot if you plan on having a car.

Old 07-14-2008, 05:18 PM

Thanks... that's what I thought. Only thing is after one straight week of being out there every single day and scouring the streets, I'm a little disheartened to not find anything which I like/ can afford. The only place that seemed to be working out, for some obscure reason, went to someone else. I thought Hollywood Hills would be expensive too but I have seen about 3-4 buildings with studios/ 1br in my budget... keeping that in mind would you feel it's a viable option at all for me... or will this be too far from USC too?
Thank you very much for the prompt response... really appreciate it!

Old 07-14-2008, 05:28 PM

Question: How are the Whitley Ave/ Grace Ave areas? There seem to be some nice places available there.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:02 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,144,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepin View Post
Thanks... that's what I thought. Only thing is after one straight week of being out there every single day and scouring the streets, I'm a little disheartened to not find anything which I like/ can afford. The only place that seemed to be working out, for some obscure reason, went to someone else. I thought Hollywood Hills would be expensive too but I have seen about 3-4 buildings with studios/ 1br in my budget... keeping that in mind would you feel it's a viable option at all for me... or will this be too far from USC too?
Thank you very much for the prompt response... really appreciate it!
The apartments are probably not in the Hollywood Hills. It's probably Hollywood. Do you want to tell us the location of these apartments and maybe we can tell you how safe the area is? Have you thought of a roommate?

Old 07-14-2008, 06:08 PM

These apartments were on Fuller Avenue, Formosa, Franklin and a building called El Cerrito at El Cerrito Place.
I've also been finding apartments at Whitely and Grace Aves... dunno if these are Hollywood Hills or not.
I've lived with roommates all my life and honestly as of now I'd rather deal with a smaller place than living with a roommate. My program (it's a PhD) and my work (I'm a writer) both require a quiet, peaceful environment which is why I definitely want to live on my own. Plus I'm used to it now after living alone in Boston for a year

Old 07-14-2008, 08:31 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,116,949 times
For your budget West Hollywood should be good. The apartments near Franklind should be okay.

Old 07-15-2008, 02:38 PM

355 posts, read 1,479,637 times
$1350 per month for WeHo, Hollywood Hills, or Los Feliz? LOL, maybe if you get a roomate or three.

WeHo will run you 1500 minimum for a single/studio, one bedrooms will most likely be a bit more, at least in the decent parts and/or for a modern/updated apartment. Hollywood Hills or Los Feliz? I assume you would be looking at the parts either in Hollywood or right by them, i.e. the crappier parts of all three, because rents for modern properties or in the good parts are way beyond your price.

If you're attending USC, you might as well find a place near there in West Adams. Save some money on rent, it's not that bad an area anymore for the most part. Certainly not that much worse than the crappy parts of Los Feliz, WeHo, and Hollywood, which is most likely what you will be stuck with unless you get a roommate(s).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: