Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 01:24 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,524,933 times

Advertisements

Strange thread. According to this Salary.com’s Salary Wizard™- Do you know what you're worth? radiologists in the Los Angeles area have a median annual income of $413K. So if you have a job lined up and will be making the median income, your question doesn't even need to be asked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 02:52 PM

12 posts, read 29,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Strange thread. According to this Salary.com’s Salary Wizard™- Do you know what you're worth? radiologists in the Los Angeles area have a median annual income of $413K. So if you have a job lined up and will be making the median income, your question doesn't even need to be asked.
413k. LOL

im a 2nd year pro. im not banking like that.

Old 01-23-2009, 04:21 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,639,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
a radiologist is a medical doctor. someone asking if $6K is enough to move to LA hardly likely to be an MD. radiology technician, perhaps?

Old 01-23-2009, 04:46 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,524,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
a radiologist is a medical doctor. someone asking if $6K is enough to move to LA hardly likely to be an MD. radiology technician, perhaps?
Well, the OP used the word "radiologist", so I assume he meant the physician, not the rad tech.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:54 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyenative01 View Post
As the old saying goes "The entertainment industry is recession proof"

That statement might be void in the next few months, though.
It's already void due to the conglomeratization that occurred in the '90s and into this decade.

Such statements are based on The Industry's performance during the Great Depression and during the '70s and '80s recessions. Different structure of the industry, different people running it, different times. The Industry during the Depression and to a lesser extent the '70s recessions was less connected to the rest of the corporate world and didn't suffer from the economic turmoil as much. The early '80s recession coincided with the introduction of home video and so there was a great deal of money being pumped into the industry to satisfy the need for new product to capitalize on a new market.

This time it's different as with conglomeratization, mergers, and leveraged buyouts comes considerable debt and intimate connections with Wall Street's fate. Film studios are making mass layoffs. The music industry has one foot in the grave already, and local broadcast TV stations are supposed to be next in line to follow the music industry (and the newspaper industry, which is following the same path as the music industry - although it's not considered part of the entertainment industry) into oblivion, according to a show I heard on NPR.

Old 01-24-2009, 06:35 PM

465 posts, read 2,427,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by venice7 View Post
im a radiologist, so no starving actor routine here, lol.

i do have a audio engineering license, so i guess that would increase my chances of finding work.

i have calculated my monthly expenses using excel and other websites, and its comes out to around 2500. how many months should i save for?

i have family in the valley, they said they would show me the ropes.
Uh, a radiologist? So you must be a doctor, right?

Old 01-24-2009, 07:34 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I am amazed that people move to an area without a job.
Actually, employment is IMO the only reason to live in So. Cal. Well, the weather is great, but how many people would move to somewhere solely because of the weather?

I've lived in LA all my life, and I'd have moved away years ago if not for my career. Due to the recession I've just decided to retire early and my first two things on my to-do list are (1) sell the house, and (2) get the ---- out of Los Angeles.

I really recommend living in Los Angeles if you have a career here. I really recommend leaving otherwise.

The simple answers to the OP, "How much money should a person have before they move to this area?"

(1) too much

(2) way too much

(3) better either have a job, or have a plan to get back home when your money runs out

Myself, I can't live for less than $1,000 a month and I have paid off my house and have no house payments or rent. I live frugally too, so if I were you I'd budget at least $2,000 per month by the time you pay rent.

Planning on 9 months to a year to secure employment that's $18,000 to $24,000. That's how much you need.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:13 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Actually, employment is IMO the only reason to live in So. Cal. Well, the weather is great, but how many people would move to somewhere solely because of the weather?
Have you missed all the "I'm from [Canada, Minnesota, New York, etc] and I'm moving to LA because I hate winter and I want to be a star" threads?

Old 01-24-2009, 11:46 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,312,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I hear what you're saying, but I think that's highly overstated. There are a hundred and one different reasons to live in SoCal, weather certainly being a factor of consideration. And likewise there are a hundred and one other places to have a successful career other than L.A. (unless if you're in an extremely specialized field/industry where you have no choice). Probably the biggest reason why most people live in SoCal is because they were born and raised there and it's their home.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:35 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,272,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
Almost everyone you meet in LA is an ...ologist of some kind, but the beat up car and condo tell the real story. I just love LA every day is a bad screenplay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: