Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 10:42 PM

141 posts, read 754,493 times

Advertisements

Im thinking about renting a studio apartment in "Promenade Towers" in dowtown LA. Please tell me if this is a really stupid idea. Is there alot of crime in the immediate downtown area?? How about the traffic?? I want to know everybody's opinions!! It'll be much appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2007, 12:15 AM

179 posts, read 921,833 times
i don't even know where that is.

Old 07-07-2007, 12:37 AM

4 posts, read 12,170 times
I would come out for a week or so before you agreed to any lease so you can get a true sense of the area. Downtown is up and coming in the sense that a lot of new places are going in but it still has a lot of problems with homelessness and is somewhat gritty. There are some very bad areas and some better areas. It really depends on what you are used to and what you expect. I like urban but it is a bit much for me.

If you want something walkable, there is also Miracle Mile and West Hollywood but if what you want is a real downtown style district than those places might not interest you. Downtown is definitely cheaper but you need to do some research on specific areas and make sure it is right for you.

Old 07-07-2007, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abstrak_tokatl View Post
i don't even know where that is.

It's on N Figueroa St, between 1st and 2nd streets, next to 110. Is this a good or bad area??

Old 07-07-2007, 05:52 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,339,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-town View Post
It's on N Figueroa St, between 1st and 2nd streets, next to 110. Is this a good or bad area??
Actually the area where Promenade Towers is located is the nicest part of Downtown. You're MOCA adjacent. Being that this area of downtown is driven by business, life after M-F 9-5 is pretty dead. This is changing S L O W L Y.
I almost moved into those years ago. My friends all thought I was nuts. This was before the big loft boom.

Check out downtown in person. See if it's for you. Just to the east is gritty. To the south is still nice all the way to Staples and the future LA Live. The train stops almost in front of the building.

Old 07-07-2007, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcerer68 View Post
Actually the area where Promenade Towers is located is the nicest part of Downtown. You're MOCA adjacent. Being that this area of downtown is driven by business, life after M-F 9-5 is pretty dead. This is changing S L O W L Y.
I almost moved into those years ago. My friends all thought I was nuts. This was before the big loft boom.

Check out downtown in person. See if it's for you. Just to the east is gritty. To the south is still nice all the way to Staples and the future LA Live. The train stops almost in front of the building.

Thanks alot for the info!! It helps alot!! What about the areas North and West of downtown??

Old 07-07-2007, 11:36 PM

852 posts, read 3,815,633 times
That part of downtown is quite removed from the rest, in a practical sense. The blocks are quite long, and it's several blocks east to the Broadway/Spring/Main area and several blocks south to the 7th and Fig area or, even farther, the LA Live/South Park area. I'd look to the area by Staples before the top of Fig.

Old 07-09-2007, 01:05 AM

5,408 posts, read 12,669,044 times
you will have a lot of traffic on fig as people make there way to the 110 N. it sucks up until 7pm then it shouldnt be that bad. that area is nice, just lonely after a while. but it is changing, even tho the southern portion of DT is changing quicker. good luck, DT is great, but it all depends on where you work.

Old 07-09-2007, 04:31 AM

179 posts, read 921,833 times
oh, that area is safe during the day light hours.

Old 07-15-2007, 01:53 PM

So Figueroa St is very crowded??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: