Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2009, 09:04 AM

9 posts, read 35,604 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I've been scouting around heavily in the Santa Clarita area for a condo/townhouse. My budget is between $150-200k. I work in Burbank, and wanting to buy a property now to take advantage of market conditions rather than tossing my money away at rent.

That said, it's been quite tough finding properties in Burbank for that price range. I'm looking at these properties with two goals: one as a home for myself, but with the potential of turning into a rental property within 5-10 years. I found a great townhome in Saugus on Bouquet and Seco, which is a 3 bed/2.5 bath and also a very nice condo in Newhall (a 3/2), both within the same price range.

Are there any pros/cons for each of these areas? Anything I should keep in mind for the long term? I work in Burbank and the commute is quite important, but not too much of an issue because I work at 5:30AM there so I'll be beating traffic.

Please advise, I'd like to hear particularly from investors and those that are familiar with these areas. Of particular importance are the types of renters I'd be attracting. While I am living there, I will be renting out one of the rooms as well.

Thanks so much for your input.

Cheers...
FF
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 04:31 PM

59 posts, read 557,687 times
Newhall is considered less desirable than Saugus, mainly because of a higher crime rate.

Saugus is considered more of a middle class neighborhood, older homes, quiet suburb. The only problem with Saugus is the distance to go just to get to the freeway (about 10-15 minutes).

You didn't mention where in Newhall the condo is, but I'd guess that the Newhall location would be closer to the freeway. The Saugus location, though not close to the freeway, is still pretty close to schools, parks, shopping, restaurants,etc.

I'd go with Saugus, but then I don't have to commute anywhere. I'd prefer a lower crime area, more family friendly, closer to shopping and restaurants. I think it would be easier for you to rent out a Saugus condo in a few years, possibly to a family with young kids.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:19 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
Also, a lot of people believe time is on your side - may not be any need to rush it - and you are doing the right thing posting this on CD.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:44 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,274,480 times
We would need to know where in Newhall, but in general, the Saugus one would attract a higher quality of renter. The drive though could be 15-20 minutes longer on Bouquet.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:07 PM

9 posts, read 35,604 times
Default More Info

Thanks so much for the quick responses!

The Newhall property is located off of the Golden Valley exit off the 14 on Sierra Highway between Golden Valley Road and Via Princessa, so it's quite close to the freeway. It's very close to Costco. How is that area?

The Saugus property is located on Bouquet and Seco Canyon.

At this moment, I'm a single guy going into this (well, legally single, I am in a committed relationship with my girlfriend) and we plan on not having any kids when/if we get married. So to be surrounded with ALL families would not be necessary.

The Newhall property is a bit nicer in my eye because I like the view much better from that property than the Saugus one. But given that I am going to be renting out one of the rooms while I live there, I do want to attract high-quality tenants as well. The property itself is very nice and requires less work than the Saugus property to get it to look the way I want to. In the long term, I want to make sure that the property is rentable to quality tenants, perhaps a family. They are both 3 bedrooms, but the Newhall property is a condo and the Saugus one is a townhouse.

Keep that input coming

Old 03-19-2009, 09:27 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,274,480 times
I drive by that daily getting on the freeway at Golden Valley, but I go north on the 14. It would always be easy to rent I think to commuters for that instant freeway access. Friendly Valley is right there and that is an over 55 area. I go to Costco all the time of course. I have never seen anything I would describe as bad around there.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:56 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,196,988 times
Newhall might seem crime ridden in comparison to the rest of Santa Clarita but its still much safer than most parts of the San Fernando valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles