Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 11:05 PM

12 posts, read 63,176 times

Advertisements

Hi, i'm moving to LA (from Mexico) in september and Im looking for a safe area to live. I'm going to school at Musicians Institute (6752 Hollywood Blvd.) so I need a place not too far from there. I'm looking apartments for rent for around $1200 or less in a safe area. I'll be getting a car so transportation is not an issue. I'd also prefer if it has a fitness center and security. I know its too much to ask for but I know there is something out there. What about Oakwood Toluca Hills, how far away is it, is it nice? Please suggest me some nice chic areas or apartment complexes to live in.
Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 03:52 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,631,284 times
Rush hour that is about a 20 minute drive from Tolucca Lake to Hollywood. I don't know how far you will live from the subway station in Universal city, but that institute is only a block from the Highland/Hollywood subway station so that might also be an option from that location.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:11 AM

Hi, as your daughter I'm moving in Sept 09 to LA to go to Musicians institute, I noticed this thread is from last year so that means she now lives in LA by her own. Where did you find apartment? In which area? Im concerned over the same issues as you (security and safe area) and my budget is almost the same. Hope you could help me! Thanks

Old 05-26-2009, 08:25 AM

317 posts, read 819,807 times
Default Whats not safe about Hollywood?

Im visiting L.A. for the first time and I've visited many areas so far looking for a place I like to relocate and I've been narrowing it down to the Hollywood & the Los Feliz area.

I spent the entire day in Hollywood and walked the area to check it out and it "looked" fine.. It was there during the day with all the tourist and also late at night to see a comedy show and then to dinner and I didnt see any crazys walking around and only a few homeless, which seem to be everywhere here even in places like rodeo dr.

It looked OK to me, but then again living there for a year on a lease your going to have a different experience.
Is the crime high there, what exactly makes Hollywood so bad?

Old 05-26-2009, 08:31 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
Hollywood is safe. We lived in the heart of Hollywood (just north of Hollywood Blvd, on Whitley) for about 1 1/2 years with absolutely no problems. There are some very odd people wandering around sometimes, but that's just part of the character. I'm not sure why you think (or worry) that Hollywood is "so bad," unless you're looking at outdated information; the Yucca corridor in particular had quite a bad reputation in the 1990s, but that was already starting to gentrify by the beginning of the 2000s. It's become safer and safer (and more and more expensive, unfortunately) over the years. I absolutely loved living in Hollywood and was extremely happy there; we had actually thought we'd choose Los Feliz, but when we looked at apartments we ended up finding one in Hollywood, discovered we liked the neighborhood even better, and were very happy with our decision.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:36 AM

Maro 0 - I agree with the earlier posters who suggest Hollywood proper. I wasn't a student, but lived in one of those buildings on Whitley, and absolutely loved it. You should be able to get something decent just a couple of blocks from school for your budget. That area is quite safe, there are always tons of people out on the streets, and it would certainly be convenient. I'm a woman, don't particularly enjoy wandering around after dark on my own, adn don't have a high risk tolerance, and always felt comfortable living in that area. With some basic common sense precautions you should be fine in Hollywood.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:38 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,782,413 times
There are some nice apartment buildings with secure access in Hollywood. I have no idea how much they are, though. They are definitely not shabby. It's kind of a pain in the butt to park in West Hollywood, though. The area is probably mostly permit parking now perhaps?

That rocks about going to MI. Rock on!

Old 05-26-2009, 11:32 AM

Hey! I've been looking apartments and I found this ones within my price range. I'm a social person and I really enjoy walking and outdoor activities. I'll have a car though.....Could you please tell me your opinion about the areas and the buildings?

Loved this ones
- Metropolitan Hollywood: 5825 W. Sunset Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90028
- Emerald Terrace: 160 S. Virgil Ave. Los Angeles, CA 90004
- Oakwood Toluca Hills: 3600 Barham Blvd. Los Angeles, CA 90068
- The Victor Hollywood: 1745 Wilcox Ave Los Angeles, CA 90028-5162 (This is the one I liked the most, not sure of the area)

Not sure if I love them but good options, I think:
- Park La Brea Apartments: 6200 West Third Street Los Angeles, CA 90036
- Hampshire Place: 501 S. New Hampshire Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90020
- Hollywood Tower: 200 Franklin Avenue Los Angeles, CA 90028

Or which are like the chic areas, I mean, popular areas for young people (im 23)?

Let me know what you think of each one!
Thanks

Old 05-26-2009, 11:38 AM

Default Found this apartment buildings in LA, but im not sure if the areas are nice...need your opinions!!

Hi, I'm moving to L.A. from Mexico to attend Musicians Institute, I'm 23 year old girl and its the first time ill live on my own. I've been looking apartments (studios or 1bedroom) and I found this ones within my price range (within $1200). I'm a social person and I really enjoy walking and outdoor activities. I'll have a car though.....Could you please tell me your opinion about this areas and this buildings?

Loved this ones
- Metropolitan Hollywood: 5825 W. Sunset Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90028
- Emerald Terrace: 160 S. Virgil Ave. Los Angeles, CA 90004
- Oakwood Toluca Hills: 3600 Barham Blvd. Los Angeles, CA 90068
- The Victor Hollywood: 1745 Wilcox Ave Los Angeles, CA 90028-5162 (This is the one I liked the most, not sure of the area)

Not sure if I love them but good options, I think:
- Park La Brea Apartments: 6200 West Third Street Los Angeles, CA 90036
- Hampshire Place: 501 S. New Hampshire Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90020
- Hollywood Tower: 200 Franklin Avenue Los Angeles, CA 90028

Or which are like the chic areas, I mean, popular areas for young people

Let me know what you think of each one!
Thanks

Old 05-26-2009, 11:43 AM

The Wilcox address is great - right in the Yucca Corridor area of Hollywood, an easy walk from your school, and right in the heart of things. That area is tough for street parking, though, so you'll want to either pay for a parking spot (if available) or maybe consider renting one in a nearby lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles