Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 02:13 PM

4 posts, read 15,618 times

Advertisements

Help!!

My 18 year old daughter is moving to Hollywood the first of September to attend Musicians Institute. I'm looking for an apartment in a safe area for her. She has a car and will be living by herself. We're from the Metro Atlanta area but she's never lived in an urban setting before, much less alone. Can anyone give me information on safe areas and or apartments with rent around $1500 or less? I want good security and gated access. Any area information would be greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 02:26 PM

2,751 posts, read 5,365,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellemontleo View Post
Help!!

My 18 year old daughter is moving to Hollywood the first of September to attend Musicians Institute. I'm looking for an apartment in a safe area for her. She has a car and will be living by herself. We're from the Metro Atlanta area but she's never lived in an urban setting before, much less alone. Can anyone give me information on safe areas and or apartments with rent around $1500 or less? I want good security and gated access. Any area information would be greatly appreciated!!
For $1500. you'll have alotta choices. The Musicians Institute is just East of Highland off Hollywood Boulevard, or is that the Guitar Institute? But either way here's the point, considering what you're looking for, your price range, and the fact that she'll have a car, I'd get her a place just on the other side of the hill. Straight up Highland or Cahuenga, into the beginning of the Valley, then either out Ventura Blvd. into Studio City or Sherman Oaks, or down Barham Boulevard into Toluca Lake and Burbank. For $1500. you'll have no problem finding her a nice one bedroom in a security bldg. You won't have to settle for less.

Good luck to your daughter! I hope she loves her new school and her new city, and that her career in music ends up to be everything she dreams it can be.

Old 08-10-2008, 02:37 PM

396 posts, read 1,724,453 times
definantly stay out of hollywood.

burbank or toluca lake would both be great, and less than $1500 for a very safe area. im paying $875 in a really safe area.

Old 08-10-2008, 03:09 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,641,192 times
$1500 will get you a studio in a very nice building in west hollywood, or an average 1BR there or in the better (western) parts of hollywood. look west of la brea, from 3rd street north to franklin. commuting over the hill to the valley is annoying, and since the area you are interested in is completely within your budget, it's also unnecessary.

one point of clarification: "gated access," with an actual barrier surrounding the property and one or two points of controlled entry is not that common in LA, and will cost a lot more. "secured access," meaning gated subterranean parking and an intercom entry system at the front door is more typical, and offers sufficient to protection for most apartment dwellers. some older buildings in west hollywood will have neither, but may still be relatively safe.

Old 08-10-2008, 04:50 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,272,952 times
You are wrong, if you can live in a house in Malibu with my two kids 12 & 16 ,own room on suite (NO boyfriends) and help me with a little of the housekeeping,you could be in luck. I do not require references but give me ANY problems and your stuff will be on its way to Australia!
Rent free.

Last edited by impala666; 08-10-2008 at 05:00 PM..

Old 08-10-2008, 05:15 PM

4 posts, read 15,618 times
My daughter wants to be close to the school. What is N. Hollywood and Los Feliz like?

Old 08-10-2008, 05:20 PM

Quote:
My daughter wants to be close to the school. What is N. Hollywood and Los Feliz like?
If her school is in the heart of Hollywood, (got an address?), then both North Hollywood and Los Feliz are farther than Burbank and Studio City. NH is a borderline area anyway; Los Feliz is nice, hip, chic, and parts of it are really nice. My daughter, also a musician, was just there yesterday to do a recording.

Old 08-10-2008, 05:27 PM

640 posts, read 3,076,336 times
Hi Belemontleo - my daughters are also moving to the area. Actually they are on the road now, driving from FL to CA! They found an apartment in Studio City; it's a 2 bedroom sublet for $1650 which includes utilities. It was really had to find an apartment long distance so we opted for this route. They can rent there for the next four months which will give them time to see exactly where they want to live as well as see the apartment first hand before they rent.

You might want to check out Studio City. My one daughter is also going to school in Hollywood too, I think it's about 6 miles away.

Best of luck on your search.

Old 08-10-2008, 05:30 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,119,229 times
You absolutely do not want North Hollywood but Los Feliz the area right by Griffith Park will fit the bill nicely. As will the strip of Hollywood North of Sunset Blvd.

Old 08-10-2008, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Just thought of a good failsafe option for you. There's a complex called the Oakwood Gardens, halfway down Barham Blvd., probably still technically in Hollywood but much safer that rents on a short term basis; I'd guess month to month or whatever you want. This is a sprawling complex that houses a lot of Entertainment Industry types, about a half a mile up the hill from Warner Brothers Studios.

She could start out there and get a feel for the area before she has to sign a year long lease. Hollywood, especially the area around the Chinese Theater, which I think is in the same area as her school, is safe enough during the day, but if you're very concerned with safety, as you should be, I really don't think you'd want her to live in Hollywood. She may be pressing you for H'wood, but once she's here for a while she'll see through that glitter for herself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles