Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 02:28 AM

6 posts, read 21,004 times

Advertisements

Hey,

Thank you Osuzana and Chi for your help. The fact is that I met my boyfriend who is american and lives in SF 1 year ago and we were thinking about me moving to LA in order to be closer from each other. He's traveling a lot and we don't wanna live together yet. I thought about LA because it's close to SF to go visit him 2-3 times a month for a few days each. Of course I can imagine that there is a whole makeup artist crowd trying to success in LA... I don't have any connections in LA and I suppose that with my student visa I am not allowed to work, even in another field?
Is there another place than LA not too far from SF (but not SF!) where I should better go?

My boyfriend doesn't seem to realize that there are very few chances that it works for me in LA. I was a bit skeptical but you all confirm what I thought...
What would you do?

Thank you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 08:49 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Cali is a city in Columbia. Many from outside California seem to like to call this state Cali. It is not appreciated by those of us that live here. In Chichappens post Cali was used and I was jokingly refering to Cali Columbia to make a point. For many of us that have posted on the California forum and sub forums this is just in reference to this long standing debate on if it is OK to call California Cali or not. Brings nothing to the table to answer your question. All I offered was part of this long standing debate on the proper etiquette as to how to address the name of the State of California. LOL

An OP is the Original Poster of the thread or question that was brought up for discussion. You are the OP for this thread. The remainder of us are just posters. or posers as the case may be.

Either way, when you come to California feel free to let your friends know you are living in Cali. Please don't tell the locals that you just got to Cali. We like to call it California.

Hope that helps.
Cali is a city in Colombia. Columbia is another city in the United States. Although you did help me in my other thread, had to point it out

Old 03-09-2010, 09:26 AM

640 posts, read 3,074,610 times
It's definately tough to break into the makeup artist business. My daughter went to school in Hollywood and gave it a shot for about 1 1/2 yrs. Because she wasn't from LA, she didn't have connections. If you don't have connections everyone wants you to work for free in exchange for the prints. If you're lucky you could get a job that might pay $50 for your time. You need backup employment while you're trying to break in.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:30 AM

640 posts, read 3,074,610 times
Oh forgot... cracking up over the "Cali" comments. I think it's a generation thing. All of my 20 yr olds kids call California "Cali" and so do all of their friends. I don't like it either but they all do it. I believe it started with rappers singing about Cali over the past 10 yrs.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:26 PM

14 posts, read 35,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babbsi View Post
Hi everybody,

I'm moving to LA in a few months. I'll have a Student Visa, I will go to school part time and was wondering what do I need to do to work as a makeup artist there. I'm already a full-time makeup artist here in Europe and cannot imagine myself not doing any makeup for a year. I don't think it works the same way in USA and it's different for each state. Could you help or tell me who I should contact or which website could tell me the procedure?

Thank you!!

I have a friend who is a talented make-up artist and does hair. She use to work out of her home but you can demand more in a salon setting.

Also, california is heavilly regulated in many industries! It's a long shot but you can be "shut-down" for not having been certified and or having a license here. I knew a woman who ran a illegal salon out of her house and she had to get the neccessary liceneses/permits.

It really depends on the scene/level you're looking to work in as well. Some companies will hire you based on word of mouth, resume, etc where you wont be under the scrutiny of the state.

Just simple do google searches, go to places like craigslist los angeles section and network with those who are doing what you want to do....

Old 05-26-2011, 05:38 PM

2 posts, read 3,010 times
hi this is @chic,since it was so sweet of you to answer all those question,would be kind enough to answer mine also,i'll be so gratefull... i'm also a talented make up artist but currently wotking in duabi,i've a multi ple visa for usa and i would love to work and experience for media or fashion show ...Could you please advise me what proper documents would i be needing for freelancing in NY usa...thanks

Old 05-31-2011, 02:53 PM

2 posts, read 3,010 times
hi @chichappens since ur answers are really helpful ,could i ask u how can i get a state licence ?and is it allowed to work on freelance on visit visa ?to gain just the experience in usa film industry or fashion show...thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles