Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 04:36 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,327,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I have no idea what SA or Laffy actually have available but things like rock climbing facilities, indoor trampoline parks, major concerts, major conventions, international airport, an organic winery with locally grown grapes, IKEA, etc. There are alot of things that would be available in a larger metro of 2.3m versus on of 500k.
Rock climbing wall, check
Indoor trampoline parks (2)
Major concerts (varies)
Major conventions maybe but plenty of festivals year round and live music every night
Airport (is this something to do?)
Organic winery nope

Oh wait, does San antonio have a cable operated water ski resort?
Also got two historical cajun villages in town, kart ranch, zoo of course, and a million great places to eat, bowling, ice skating, parks, downtown club scene, art galleries/artwalks, jockey lot marketplace, science museum, heymann performing arts center, i mean seriously Lafayette has way more stuff than you might think!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2017, 08:28 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
Rock climbing wall, check
Indoor trampoline parks (2)
Major concerts (varies)
Major conventions maybe but plenty of festivals year round and live music every night
Airport (is this something to do?)
Organic winery nope

Oh wait, does San antonio have a cable operated water ski resort?
Also got two historical cajun villages in town, kart ranch, zoo of course, and a million great places to eat, bowling, ice skating, parks, downtown club scene, art galleries/artwalks, jockey lot marketplace, science museum, heymann performing arts center, i mean seriously Lafayette has way more stuff than you might think!
I'm not being literal but you can't think that Lafayette has as much to do as San Antonio. And everything in a smaller city, is, smaller. They're going to have more variety. And yes airports are important to people and Lafayette is two hours away from an international airport.
Not everyone cares for festivals and nightlife, that's where Lafayette shines. Being in New Orleans now I have tons more options than in Baton Rouge and it purely based on size (and tourists here and in SA). Every major concert tour will stop in NO, as people from surrounding cities will drive here, NBA All-Star game was held here just after I moved, something that would never occur in a city the size of Laffy. Not bashing it at all but it's a smaller city and naturally will offer less regardless of how well it performs in a particular category.

Old 05-21-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I'm not being literal but you can't think that Lafayette has as much to do as San Antonio. And everything in a smaller city, is, smaller. They're going to have more variety. And yes airports are important to people and Lafayette is two hours away from an international airport.
Not everyone cares for festivals and nightlife, that's where Lafayette shines. Being in New Orleans now I have tons more options than in Baton Rouge and it purely based on size (and tourists here and in SA). Every major concert tour will stop in NO, as people from surrounding cities will drive here, NBA All-Star game was held here just after I moved, something that would never occur in a city the size of Laffy. Not bashing it at all but it's a smaller city and naturally will offer less regardless of how well it performs in a particular category.
Im aware it has less but theres still a ton of things to do so it bothers me a lot when people say stupid things like "theres nothing to do"

Old 05-21-2017, 12:20 PM

372 posts, read 450,565 times
I mean Annie pretty much hit the nail on the head with what I meant. Lafayette is smaller so of course there is not as much to do as say somewhere like New Orleans or San Antonio. I'm not saying its the most boring place but just that the OP moving from San Antonio may find it lacking in that department. San Antonio has Six Flags, SeaWorld, The Alamo, River Walk, A bigger Zoo, more bars, restaurants with more variety, Dave and Busters, Main Event, etc. etc.

I love Lafayette but in relation to other sizable places I think it lacks in that area. I didn't say it had "nothing to do". From the sound of it he seems okay with it though so its no big deal.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:48 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Quote:
Im aware it has less but theres still a ton of things to do so it bothers me a lot when people say stupid things like "theres nothing to do"
Well that's your perspective. Someone moving from the Bay area or DC would disagree most likely. I know that for me Lafayette doesn't offer enough to do. I like the options in huge cities.

Old 05-23-2017, 05:07 PM

3,889 posts, read 2,204,375 times
Quote:
I can only think of maybe large market pro teams but little else that Lafayette wouldnt have
I went on vacation to San Antonio last year. Tourist destination. Sea World, Six Flags Fiesta Texas, Alamo, museums, zoo, River Walk (lots of restaurants, clubs).

Old 05-23-2017, 06:15 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times
You'll love Lafayette. Everybody that has moved there has.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:59 PM

3,889 posts, read 2,204,375 times
I've been through Lafayette and it seems to be a nice city. Next time I'm in the area I need to do some exploring.

Old 01-19-2018, 06:36 PM

160 posts, read 174,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
If you both wants to be around Cajun Culture, Lafayette. It's closest to San Antonio. It probably has the lowest crime out of all the areas you mentioned.
Lafayette is horrible. Roads are never maintained. It's crowded. It's always having murders (bodies found in marshy areas)

Old 01-20-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunkieFam View Post
Lafayette is horrible. Roads are never maintained. It's crowded. It's always having murders (bodies found in marshy areas)
Roads are in the process of being repaired or expanded all over the city. Where do you get that they arent maintained?

Crowded i will give you that. Traffic is horrendous.

Crime is on an uptick but still not a dangerous city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana