Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 10:49 AM

20,326 posts, read 19,912,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam Okeefe View Post
Words of Wisdom?? my advice is not to attempt to re-create a social milieu that you found on the West Coast. that's a huge mistake. No sensible conservative Southerner would move to anywhere on the west coast, e.g. Oregon and expect to seek out conservative areas - we know better. My word of wisdom is to don't try to change the political and conservative milieu of Louisiana, just mind your own business. In the South now, we're growing tired of people moving from CA and NY and NJ, and their constant efforts to re-create or reproduce the social and political history and ideals from whence they came! I know we Southerners don't move to New Yawk and try to find a microcosm of Savannah, Montgomery, or Memphis. Stay put.
Well stated!

I'm sure being accepted as a conservative in Berkeley, CA or Seattle, WA is a non-starter.

Berkeley's inclusive, open minded citizens even tried to shut down a military recruiting office a few years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 11:15 AM

33,329 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Words of Wisdom?? my advice is not to attempt to re-create a social milieu that you found on the West Coast. that's a huge mistake. No sensible conservative Southerner would move to anywhere on the west coast, e.g. Oregon and expect to seek out conservative areas - we know better. My word of wisdom is to don't try to change the political and conservative milieu of Louisiana, just mind your own business. In the South now, we're growing tired of people moving from CA and NY and NJ, and their constant efforts to re-create or reproduce the social and political history and ideals from whence they came! I know we Southerners don't move to New Yawk and try to find a microcosm of Savannah, Montgomery, or Memphis. Stay put.
You saw what you wanted to see in the OP’s post, rather than taking in all of the information that was provided.

The OP is a Southerner.

She has lived on the west coast as an adult, but she is from Gulfport, MS.

Old 07-13-2019, 12:21 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,807,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
You saw what you wanted to see in the OP’s post, rather than taking in all of the information that was provided.

The OP is a Southerner.

She has lived on the west coast as an adult, but she is from Gulfport, MS.

Well it doesn't matter if the OP is a southerner the consensus is still the same. Liberals need to stop bringing their influence into highly conservative areas and ruining them like they have in so many other areas around the US!

Funny how they always want to move to a lower COL area (Usually a red state) yet once they get there the first thing they want to do is change it! We're getting our share here in AZ from Ca and they're coming for the lower COL but want to continue voting for the same idiots who have ruined their home state!

Old 07-13-2019, 02:44 PM

2,650 posts, read 1,371,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
Well it doesn't matter if the OP is a southerner the consensus is still the same. Liberals need to stop bringing their influence into highly conservative areas and ruining them like they have in so many other areas around the US!

Funny how they always want to move to a lower COL area (Usually a red state) yet once they get there the first thing they want to do is change it! We're getting our share here in AZ from Ca and they're coming for the lower COL but want to continue voting for the same idiots who have ruined their home state!
Well the higher cost of living stems from the fact that they are nice areas that are in high demand. Law of supply and demand. They fact that buyers are willing to pay more to live there isn't a sign that California was "ruined".

Old 07-13-2019, 05:59 PM

1,045 posts, read 758,228 times
Quote:
LOL...as I said, it's not a good idea to look to LA in order to find "liberal pockets" this is the SOUTH, with a wholly different mindset, history, religious background (lots of Catholics believe it or not), and a blend of different social mores, and even ethnicities (even native American, French, Spanish, Italian and numerous "blends"). We don't even like the west cost or even most of the people around New Yawk...we're neither, we're Lousiana! just like Texas....and what is happening in places like Austin is now bothered with all the new west coasters poisoning what Austin used to be. The same thing is happening to pockets in Florida as well with the nasty influx of people from "jersey", "new Yawk" and even CT now - they too are bringingnasty attitudes with them, and we are pushing back here in the south.
The South shall rise again! LMFAO.

Old 07-13-2019, 06:27 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,807,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
Well the higher cost of living stems from the fact that they are nice areas that are in high demand. Law of supply and demand. They fact that buyers are willing to pay more to live there isn't a sign that California was "ruined".
Not necessarily. Take IL for example, a democratic state that's been run into the ground because there's never enough money no matter how much you tax people. Underfunded pensions and unions have destroyed that city yet the fools keep voting the same old way! Just last week they doubled their gas tax and raised the city stickers 50% and guess what,it still won't be enough.

LA..Ha! Have you seen the homeless and tents all over the place,illegals who've taken over the schools and the cost for that and their healthcare? 40% increase in their gas tax. Guess who's paying for it?

Quote:
Indeed.com Chief Economist Jed Kolko notes that Census Bureau data from July 2016 to July 2017 show that California had a net loss of 138,000 people. Where did they go? Here's a hint: Texas had a net population gain of 79,000, Arizona 63,000, and Nevada more than 38,000.

California, one of the most beautiful states in the union, is a fiscal and economic mess.
https://www.investors.com/politics/e...ng-california/
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/19/cali...ing-state.html

CT is another state who's in financial trouble. A state with the richest income per capita is ranked right at the bottom of states with the ability to meet its financial and service obligations.

Quote:
Despite being the richest state in the country, by per-capita income, Connecticut’s budget is a mess. Its pensions are woefully under-funded. Its deficit is projected to surpass $2 billion, or 12 percent of its total annual tax revenue. Hartford is approaching bankruptcy. Conservatives look at Connecticut and see a liberal dystopia, where high taxes have ruined the economy. Liberals, on the other hand, see a capitalist horror show, where the rich dwell in gilded mansions, ensconced in sylvan culs-de-sac, while nearby towns face rising poverty and bankruptcy. Why is America’s richest state floundering?

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...cities/532623/

Old 07-13-2019, 11:31 PM

5,790 posts, read 3,596,781 times
The least conservative areas outside of NOLA are likely to be limited to cities with at least 300K in metro population (narrows it down to Baton Rouge, Shreveport, and maybe Lafayette). Even then, its limited to neighborhoods with all the following traits:

1. Built no later than WW2 (better yet, pre-WW1).
2. Close to downtown
3. Where the cultural amenities are
4. Areas that best resisted white middle class flight of the 20th century.

In Shreveport, that'd be the Highland Area, around Centenary College. I don't know about Baton Rouge and Lafayette though. The only advantage Shreveport has is that you're only 3 hours from Dallas. Even then, Lafayette's only about 3 hours from Houston, so it balances out. Baton Rouge is only 80 from New Orleans, plus it has a fairly large university.

To sam Okeefe. I lived for 3 1/2 years in Memphis, hardly a boomtown attracting loads of "Northerners" and "Californians", and they have a two whole sections of the city that are liberal or arguably liberal: Midtown and East Memphis. Most people there are native born Southerners, or at most "liberal", lower Midwesterners (St Louis to Indy to Columbus southward). And Memphis is not exactly reputed to be a progressive place. It's not a matter of region vs region - more like urban vs suburban vs rural.

As for Austin, it was liberal even before desegregation and certainly well before the tech-boom. In the 60s, Austin was one of the few places in the South (ok, arguably the South) where tie-dyed hippies with long hair could hang out and not get beat up. Moving 1000 miles east to Chappel Hill, NC: 1980s archconservative senator Jesse Helms, during the 1960s, called that place "a zoo", and suggested it be walled off from the rest of the state.

So if "Northerners" and "Californians" are moving there in large numbers, it's because they found the socio-cultural climate there congenial (or at least non-hostile) to begin with.

And all this from someone who grew up in N. La's Delta region - The South's South.

Last edited by Phil75230; 07-13-2019 at 11:40 PM..

Old 07-14-2019, 01:09 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,599,601 times
I’ve always felt like urban centers within states should break off and form their own states once they reach a certain population density. The needs of urban and rural places is so different.

Old 07-14-2019, 07:19 AM

20,326 posts, read 19,912,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
How well does one live in the areas of high demand in CA if, for example, they drive a truck or other blue collar job?

Can they buy a single detached home and still have money to go on vation, own a new car, etc.

I'm not talking in the middle of nowhere.

Old 07-14-2019, 08:42 AM

16 posts, read 13,427 times
@Phil - just for grins I lived off Massey and Quail Hollow, you're not telling me anything I don't know. I lived in Las Colinas, you're not telling me anything I don't know, I lived in Indian Springs just off 280 in AL - I understand the South -born in swLA...sooo, I'll leave it there..................... The South is RISING AGAIN, as the other poster alluded to, whether it's Charlotte, Jax, Bham, NASHVILLE, Orlando, Tampa, and even smaller great places like Huntsville...also, can you say "Atlanta metro" ? Here in swFL we're seeing an alarming amount of nastyNewYawkers, overbearing buttwipes from "Jersey", and practically everyday I see vehicles on I75 and state roads with CA tags, and these aren't "rentals". In my gated neighborhood, on my street, there are two new neighbors from soCAL and one other from WA...and I have nothing good to say about them in their attitude, culture or politics, and neither do most of my neighbors next door and across the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana