Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 03:55 PM

328 posts, read 240,450 times

Advertisements

Has anyone noticed that the work ethic here is much worse than other parts of the country? My husband is the General Manager for a large theatre chain and has had a major problem finding people who actually want to work for their paycheck. He posted an opening for an Assistant Manager in the newspaper than ran for about a week and there were actually NO applicants. The salary is decent for this area. I thought that after Hurricane Katrina, a lot of people would need decent paying jobs in this area. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2006, 08:03 PM

923 posts, read 3,515,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbercuddles View Post
Has anyone noticed that the work ethic here is much worse than other parts of the country? My husband is the General Manager for a large theatre chain and has had a major problem finding people who actually want to work for their paycheck. He posted an opening for an Assistant Manager in the newspaper than ran for about a week and there were actually NO applicants. The salary is decent for this area. I thought that after Hurricane Katrina, a lot of people would need decent paying jobs in this area. Any thoughts?
Hi Kimber,
Louisiana used to be a great State...It's been all downhill for the last 30 years. Get out ASAP and cut your losses, It's gonna get a lot worse
It Was a great place to live many years ago.
Best Wishes
DLS

Old 11-03-2006, 09:51 PM

4 posts, read 42,837 times
Default How could one not notice it?

Quote:
Anyone who moves here from other parts of the country is totally dumbfounded by the culture in general and its lack of work ethic. No one here feels a sense of urgency to accomplish anything. They're all satisfied in maintaining status quo (which amounts to "not much" in most other parts of the U.S.) It's unbelievable. I've lived here for only 10 mos., and I'm looking to GET OUT as soon as possible. I know I'm not alone because I have co-workers who are new to this state, and they feel *exactly* as I do.

I can't think of one redeeming quality about this state, and I cover a lot of it. The food you say? It couldn't be more overrated, and I used to be a fan of Cajun food...before I moved here that is.

STAY AWAY.

p.s. I think France owes us some money.

Old 11-04-2006, 03:45 PM

I'm just so glad that I'm not the only one who has noticed this. I was raised in Minnesota and my parents taught me to be proud of the job that I had (no matter how petty it seemed), do it with a gracious attitude, to be thankful for it and perform to the very best of my ability. It was also taboo to not find something to do if you weren't busy...never just stand there and take advantage of the person paying you...to be a valuable asset. It's truly amazing to me...I hope that these people never have to work anywhere else because they will all get fired before they are able to blink!

YES...France owes us a TON of money!! And by the way, we are moving to the Florida panhandle in two weeks...WOO HOO!!

Old 11-04-2006, 11:22 PM

768 posts, read 4,390,155 times
Quote:
I'm just so glad that I'm not the only one who has noticed this. I was raised in Minnesota and my parents taught me to be proud of the job that I had (no matter how petty it seemed), do it with a gracious attitude, to be thankful for it and perform to the very best of my ability. It was also taboo to not find something to do if you weren't busy...never just stand there and take advantage of the person paying you...to be a valuable asset. It's truly amazing to me...I hope that these people never have to work anywhere else because they will all get fired before they are able to blink!

YES...France owes us a TON of money!! And by the way, we are moving to the Florida panhandle in two weeks...WOO HOO!!
You really don't think there's a lack of work ethic in Florida, with all those beach bums!?

Welcome to America, the laziest country in the nation. Perhaps Minnesota has a better work ethic, but what you're experiencing is a nationwide problem and it's only getting worse. You certainly can't honestly say it's just Louisiana or even the south for that matter. Like obesity, it's becoming a national problem. And funny I should mention obesity, huh? Considering that laziness contributes to obesity "heavily." <-- pun intended.

Old 11-05-2006, 02:30 AM

923 posts, read 3,515,388 times
Quote:

$15 mil for all that land! MN was part of the LA Purchase...Best land buy in history!

Old 11-05-2006, 06:47 AM

480 posts, read 2,830,412 times
Isn't the south known for their "laid back" approach to life? Or as the rest of us call it, being lazy.

Quote:

Old 11-05-2006, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCmetroguy View Post
You really don't think there's a lack of work ethic in Florida, with all those beach bums!?

Welcome to America, the laziest country in the nation. Perhaps Minnesota has a better work ethic, but what you're experiencing is a nationwide problem and it's only getting worse. You certainly can't honestly say it's just Louisiana or even the south for that matter. Like obesity, it's becoming a national problem. And funny I should mention obesity, huh? Considering that laziness contributes to obesity "heavily." <-- pun intended.
We lived in San Antonio for about ten years and the work ethic there, in general, was not even comparable to the work ethic in Baton Rouge...even in Bossier City, LA, it was not bad. I agree with the fact that laziness is becoming the norm, but this area is by far the worst we have ever seen. My husband is afraid to fire some of these people because there are so few applicants and he would be taking a major risk of hiring someone that might be a worse gamble...if that's possible. I've just never seen anything like this...anywhere.

Old 11-05-2006, 06:15 PM

768 posts, read 4,390,155 times
Quote:
We lived in San Antonio for about ten years and the work ethic there, in general, was not even comparable to the work ethic in Baton Rouge...even in Bossier City, LA, it was not bad. I agree with the fact that laziness is becoming the norm, but this area is by far the worst we have ever seen. My husband is afraid to fire some of these people because there are so few applicants and he would be taking a major risk of hiring someone that might be a worse gamble...if that's possible. I've just never seen anything like this...anywhere.
You're more than welcome back here in Bossier City. We're still growing by leaps and bounds and jobs are plentiful. There's a very nice Regal cinema down on the Boardwalk your husband could apply at. Just don't cross that river into Shreveport, because you'll be back to dealing with that lazy work ethic.

By the way, how long ago did you live in Bossier?

Old 11-06-2006, 04:24 PM

Thank you SBC Metroguy! Someone told us that Northern Louisiana was almost considered a different state than Southern Louisiana...I have found that to be true. Bossier City was a nice place to live...I'm learning that San Antonio was by far my favorite city, but my husband accepted a 50% pay increase to move to Bossier...hard to refuse. It's funny you should mention the new Regal cinema on the Boardwalk...my husband was second in line for that theatre...the GM running it now had a few more years of experience. If anyone is planning on relocating to Louisiana, I would definitely recommend Bossier City (Baton Rouge is last on my list). That was our home from 2002 to Spring of 2005. My husband is running the theatre that the GM in Bossier had...man, he made a great decision!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana