Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 10:06 AM

49 posts, read 205,167 times

Advertisements

Hello, I've been reading your thread, and would highly recommend the Lafayette are for you. This weekend the weather is going to be great. I'll be out fishing and Crabbing in Rockefeuller Refuge in Cameron Parish. You should postpone your visit the last weekend in April for Festival International.
If you can't then enjoy your visit.

{ Home : Festival International de Louisiane } there website

Other great festivals to check out

Festivals Acadiens et Créoles - Les 8, 9, et 10 octobre 2010 Festival Acadien et Creole

Breaux Bridge Crawfish Festival Breaux Bridge Crawfish festival

Welcome to RiceFestival.com Crowley Rice Festival

..:: GUEYDAN DUCK FESTIVAL ::.. Gueydan Duck Festival

Opelousas Spice and Music Festival adds spice to your life in Opelousas Louisiana Opelousas Spice & Music Festival

Louisiana Sugar Cane Festival Sugarcane Festival New Iberia

French Quarter Festivals Inc. - New Orleans, Louisiana French Quarter Festival New Orleans, Louisiana

Downtown Lafayette Spring and Fall Music Series Called Downtown Alive is a great event during the spring and fall every Friday evening from 5 pm to 8 pm check it out.
Here is Downtown Lafayette website where you can read up on the events and things that are going on downtown.

Downtown Lafayette: Where Lafayette Happens

Hope you enjoy your visit.

John
Opelousas, Louisiana
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 08:30 PM

233 posts, read 439,869 times
Default This weeks visit.........

Are you staying right in Lafayette? Renting a car? We are supposed to have some really nice weather this weekend so it should be a nice change from back east snows. I don't know of anything big going on this weekend other than the normal Downtown Alive on Friday night, but maybe some others here know of some things happening. Hope you have a great visit, if you have any questions just ask on here I should be around this weekend and will help if I can.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:35 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,963 times
Thanks for both of your replies!

Opelousasbear,

I originally was debating whether or which festival I should time my return visit to Louisiana since there seem to be an abudance this time of year - Mardi Gras in both New Orleans and Lafayette, Jazzfest, Festival International, etc. However, I was only able to get a few days off work this weekend (Friday-Tuesday). I'm actually leaving tomorrow afternoon after work but I'll be stopping over half way that night as the drive's just too long in one sitting, and arriving in Lafayette Friday. I wasn't too disappointed about the scheduling as I hope to experience the cultural festivals on a more permenant basis when I finally make it to the beautiful Bayou State for good

Molliesmom,

I won't be renting as I'm driving my own car down from Northern NJ. I suppose a lot of people fly in, but I'm used to the long distance hauls.

I'm staying on East Convent St.

I'm bringing my computer (laptop) along in case I need to run a few addresses and informational websites when I'm down, so I'll probably do my daily skims through city-data. I may have a question about the downtown area as I'm going all around to look at the city, the surrounding rural lands. and some apartments.

So happy to be returning to the glorious South and beautiful Louisiana!!!

Old 03-18-2010, 12:10 AM

Default Long ride....

Have you done the drive before? For too many years I was a long distance commuter between here in Lafayette and NYC. The drive typically took me between 27-29 hours straight thru........can't do that anymore tho, now I stop, usually around NC on the way up and catch a nights sleep. Used to do that ride at least 5 times a year, put a lot of mileage on the old car! Drop a note here when you hit town.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:28 AM

49 posts, read 205,167 times
Well since your probably on your way here, here is the local Times of Acadiana site that you can view, it will give you information on things going on this weekend, it is a weekly publication put out by the local newspaper The Daily Advertiser. It also has other great information you may find helpful.

Times of Acadiana - www.timesofacadiana.com <http://www.timesofacadiana.com> - Lafayette, La.

Example...

If your looking for live music click the music section Club calender Its has all the local venues and bands playing at those venues.
Have a safe trip.

John
Opelousas, Louisiana

Old 03-20-2010, 10:42 PM

Reluctant,
Hopefully you had a safe ride down and are exploring the town and having a good time. Too bad the weather is a little chilly tonight, still warmer than NJ tho. If you need any more info or help getting around just post, I'll keep an eye on the board and help if I can.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:48 PM

First order of business, I wanted to thank you guys for your helpful advice and well wishes.

Molly, I had a nice ride down although Virginia never ends. Love the state for its beauty and cultural attractions, but it's a killer ride. Lafayette had what seemed like its last chill of the season on Sunday, but it was like autumn in NJ, lol!

I'm now back in New Jersey

Had a great time in Lafayette and the surrounding area in Acadiana and finally settled my affairs down there. One of the places I got a chance to look at was part of a beautiful easy-access complex with a great atmosphere for a very reasonable price and I'm planning to mail in my information and put a hold on it as soon as I find what I'm looking for in the area in terms of employment.

After a long time of going back and forth, I'm so thrilled, so ecstatic, so overcome with bliss to be moving below the Mason-Dixon line to a great state, city, and region, and to be getting away from Northeastern taxes, Northeastern weather, Northeastern prices, Northeastern politics, and Northeastern...well, everything!

Ah, I can hear the sounds now....I wish I was in the land of cott...er..sugarcane.

Some of the greatest times and experiences of my life have come out of my trips down, from the French Quarter to the towns on the bayou.

Bless Louisiana and her people!

Old 03-26-2010, 02:38 PM

Default Do tell.....

So which complex did you look at? Maybe River Ranch? Well I'm glad you enjoyed your visit and I do agree that driving thru Virginia seems like a never ending road. Kepp in touch and let us know when you finally make the big move. The one thing that we missed most on the move down was pizza but solved that by making NY style ourselves, actually it now comes out exactly like NY style.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollies mom View Post
So which complex did you look at? Maybe River Ranch? Well I'm glad you enjoyed your visit and I do agree that driving thru Virginia seems like a never ending road. Kepp in touch and let us know when you finally make the big move. The one thing that we missed most on the move down was pizza but solved that by making NY style ourselves, actually it now comes out exactly like NY style.
River Ranch was/is beautiful. Actually, I looked at several, including even some small homes in Abbeville, but I decided on the Bridgeway apartments on Dulles off Johnston as I found the location and cost preferrable.

I will be updating the thread semi-regularly as I gain more information. I will be going back and forth to the Lafayette area from NJ at least twice more before I move.

I've never had pizza in Louisiana, although I did have a surprisingly good slice in Tennessee I still remember. I've heard it's the water. At least NY can't claim gumbo

Old 03-28-2010, 08:26 PM

Default Pizza

To give you an idea of how bad our pizza cravings were I once hauled down 25 gallons of water from my apt in NYC to make pizza down here at the house because we too beleived it had to be the water. Found out it wasn't! But hauling all those jugs down 4 flights of stairs to my car did give me some muscles so all was not lost. We have great city water here in town although I have tasted some nasty stuff in surrounding towns. Don't worry, when you make the move and crave a NY/NJ pizza just yell, we'll get one to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana