Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 03:47 AM

146 posts, read 300,346 times

Advertisements

A few general questions for parents in Louisville -- I suppose you could boil it down to 'How do you rate it as a place for families?'

Are your kids happy there? How does it compare to other places you have lived? What are its main attractions (and drawbacks) as far as kids are concerned?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 03:55 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,747,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dent_arthur_dent View Post
A few general questions for parents in Louisville -- I suppose you could boil it down to 'How do you rate it as a place for families?'

Are your kids happy there? How does it compare to other places you have lived? What are its main attractions (and drawbacks) as far as kids are concerned?
It is one of the best for families, and I have lived all over. My family and I will return as full time residents this year as I cut back my nomadic life.

2011 Best Cities for Families | Parenting

It is consistently ranked a top 10 major city for families.

Old 01-21-2015, 01:09 AM

14,776 posts, read 8,112,224 times
Louisville is great, you will love it. I was raised there and had an idyllic childhood there.

Voted one of the best places to live in the U.S. in 2014 (see number 8)

The Best Towns Ever, 2014 | Best Towns | OutsideOnline.com

Noted in Forbes Five Surprising people, places to watch in 2015.

Five Surprising People, Places And Things To Watch In 2015 - Forbes

It's a great city, with a lot going for it.

Old 01-21-2015, 01:28 AM

14,776 posts, read 8,112,224 times
Quote:

Oops, I forgot a few questions.

Like I said I was raised there, and can't think of any place better really to raise a family.
My son was very happy growing up in Kentucky. (He is college age now).
Recently saw an article online that said Kentucky is the Real America, and I can relate to that, on a lot of levels, because it really is, in so many ways.

Kentucky is the real America and offers more than just amazing horses and wonderful whiskey - Mirror Online

You have so much fun and culture in Louisville! Lots of museums and wonderful, wonderful parks to explore...lots of places to hike, fish and discover! (Kentucky as a state excels in this category also, you have a lot of forested areas to hike, bike, rock climb, canoe, fish and just enjoy!

BBC - Travel - See the US only locals know : USA

The only drawback that I can think of might be the way the school district works as far as busing goes.
This was the case awhile back, don't know if it still is in effect or not. (But there are a lot of great private schools, home school co-ops, etc)

Old 01-21-2015, 04:12 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:

Main attraction: The park system is the best I've ever seen in the country.

Main drawback: The Jefferson County Public Schools busing system. You are best off budgeting for private school.

Old 01-21-2015, 05:10 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,188,111 times
I believe I read somewhere that Louisville is one of the worst places in the USA to be single....

Old 01-22-2015, 12:35 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,747,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folkguitarist555 View Post
I believe I read somewhere that Louisville is one of the worst places in the USA to be single....
Nah. Rankings like that are complete BS anyways. It is no NYC but there are hundreds of worse places to be single. I would say it is a top 40-50 singles city, certainly not top 10 or 20 like it is Imo in food, culture, architecture, and festivals, where it packs a punch well above its size.

Old 01-22-2015, 03:40 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folkguitarist555 View Post
Depends on what you are looking for in a spouse. Personally, I'm a black guy with a college degree, not religious, and Childfree. There was no way in hell I was going to find a like-minded mate in Louisville. Someone who is family-oriented is likely to have a solid selection of partners.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:05 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,423,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Main drawback: The Jefferson County Public Schools busing system. You are best off budgeting for private school.
I think the bussing system was incredibly worthwhile in my grade school experience in Louisville. I didn't get the greatest overall education in the regular program, but I got a great (and somewhat unique in the US) cultural experience, and it taught me a lot about the need for diversity in the business world.

Louisville is a fantastic place to raise kids, even without using private schools.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:10 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,423,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Depends on what you are looking for in a spouse. Personally, I'm a black guy with a college degree, not religious, and Childfree. There was no way in hell I was going to find a like-minded mate in Louisville. Someone who is family-oriented is likely to have a solid selection of partners.
You sound like me, except I'm balding and white. It really is a tough city to date in if you're halfway educated, regardless of race, but I can imagine your issues with finding a mate who shared the religious belief (or lack thereof). I ended up finding my wife in central Florida, another area which is known for family oriented, religious folk, and we're not having kids...so who knows? Needle in a haystack, for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area