Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2008, 10:53 AM

6 posts, read 12,405 times

Advertisements

I am a sticky situation, I have the opprotunity to relocate to either Ft Lauderdale, FL or where my sister resides which is near Lousiville. Being originally from Wisconsin, my biggest goal is to get out the freezing bare boned winters. I hate gray winter days and snow. My sister tells me this is limited in Louisville. What is your opinion on the winter climate? My sister also tells me that Louisville is very friendly and affordable, something that Ft Lauderdale is not. In Ft Lauderdale I already have a job offer, if I decided to relocate to Louisville, how hard would it be to find work? I have a strong health care administration background. Could you tell me the top 5 reasons a single gal should move to Louisville, and 5 reasons you would avoid it. I know these questions are repetitive, but I have a very short window to make a life altering decision. Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 12:37 PM

2 posts, read 4,373 times
Louisville is a neat area. I relocated here 2 years ago. I'm not sure I can think of 5 of either right now, but i'll try.

Good things.
1. People can be friendly.
2. Humana has a HUGE office so if you applied or looked, you could end up with a job here.
3. It is affordable.
4. There are 2 local free weekly newspapers that tell you whats going on so you could meet people.
5. Louisvillemojo dot com is a great way to meet people in groups and what not, i'd check it out if you decide to come here.

Not to move here.
1. Tarc, the bus system is iffy so if you don't have a car, and the area is BIG. LA like big a car is a thing to have here.
2. Don't live downtown. It's nice to visit but it's not as nice as it'll be in 5 years.
3. It's not as nice in the winters the 2 I've lived here as she says, but I did work outside the first 2 years.
4. It's got a large homeless population! They tend to be respectiful but if you worked/lived downtown you will run into a few of the crazier ones. I know I have a handful of times.
5. The summers are HOT and humid. At least the 2 I lived here, but not as hot and humid as Ft Lauderdal lol

Old 05-26-2008, 01:09 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,747,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB1265 View Post
I am a sticky situation, I have the opprotunity to relocate to either Ft Lauderdale, FL or where my sister resides which is near Lousiville. Being originally from Wisconsin, my biggest goal is to get out the freezing bare boned winters. I hate gray winter days and snow. My sister tells me this is limited in Louisville. What is your opinion on the winter climate? My sister also tells me that Louisville is very friendly and affordable, something that Ft Lauderdale is not. In Ft Lauderdale I already have a job offer, if I decided to relocate to Louisville, how hard would it be to find work? I have a strong health care administration background. Could you tell me the top 5 reasons a single gal should move to Louisville, and 5 reasons you would avoid it. I know these questions are repetitive, but I have a very short window to make a life altering decision. Thanks for your help.
LEO’S BIG LIST: 48 ½ things we love about our town | LEO Weekly

Old 05-27-2008, 08:20 PM
bct

3 posts, read 3,979 times
Louisville is incredible! The people here are so friendly and welcoming. There are so many opportunities in your field because of the focus on healthcare research, service and insurance corporations located here. Trust me, winters here are not like Wisconsin. We may get one big snow a year (if that). Think about it, we are only a 3 hour drive to Nashville, TN ....how bad can winter be? I live in the Cherokee Park/St. Matthews area....it is paradise.

Due to my husband's job, we are facing a move to the Baltimore area. I would give anything to stay here. Trust me. You can't go wrong with Louisville, especially if you are savvy about choosing an area to live.

Old 05-28-2008, 04:53 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,314,005 times
Louisville has a huge medical complex. Health Administration should be a doable thing. There is a new full service hospital being built at I-265 & I-71. A new surgical center 5 miles south, and a new medical center being built in Bullitt Co.

Look eastwardly from downtown. Huge expansions of population building needs for more medical services out this way.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:20 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB1265 View Post
I live in the DC area (even more unfriendly and probably more expensive than Ft. Lauderdale) and I would pack my clothes and TV and be off to Louisville today if i could. It is useless having a job somewhere where you arent happy living (i'm learning that lesson everyday here in DC.) By raw dollars you'll likely make less in Louisville but also you'll spend less on things like rent, insurance, etc. So Louisville is worth a fair chance IMO.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:55 AM

7 posts, read 18,419 times
Default Louisville

I've lived in both. Louisville for sure.
For more info on housing and areas you can visit my website and contact me directly from there.

[url=http://www.louisvillebuilding.com]The Louisville Building Company, Luxury Custom Homebuilder, Louisville, Kentucky[/url]

Old 07-04-2008, 11:16 PM

6 posts, read 18,710 times
I was raised in Louisville, and lived there a good part of my life. It's like anywhere else, it has it's good and bad.
Good things:
(1) There is a lot to see and do there. Lots of festivals, arts, and Museums.
(2) Centrally located
(3) Friendly people
(4) A great park system
(5) Laid back atmosphere

Bad things:
(1) The climate is pretty bad. Cold damp winters, and hot, humid summers. If you don't want cold gray winter days, I'd choose Ft. Lauderdale.
(2) Way too many people smoke there.
(3) It's difficult to eat healthy food at restaurants.
(4) The mass transit system has a bit to be desired
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area