Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 01:36 PM

Location: Apex, North Carolina [Shepherds Vineyard Subdivision]
269 posts, read 1,156,332 times

Advertisements

Hello again! Quick question my kids want to know. Since there is so much beautiful open land over in KY [were specifically looking into Oldham County] is there also a lot of cool wild animals cruising through those same properties, like Deer, Fox, rabbit, ect. We assume there is, but would like to know what the locals say. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 01:43 PM

1,448 posts, read 4,791,331 times
I live on 5 wooded acres right where Jefferson, Oldham and Shelby counties come together. We have lots of deer and rabbits, as well as the occasional fox. (There may be more foxes than I see, but you know those guys are, well, foxy!) We've seen one weasel in the past 5 years. Most interestingly, we have a nice little flock of turkey and at least two packs of coyote.

Old 01-30-2008, 03:49 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
Oldham Co is loaded with deer - it's rare to drive down I-71 and not see any.

Old 01-30-2008, 04:26 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,426,109 times
It's lions and tigers and bears, oh my!

Old 01-30-2008, 05:37 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,310,863 times
Hey, Davart! I know how faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar west in Kentucky you are!!!!

I grew up and spent the first 2/3 of my life in Western Kentucky Coal Fields, so when someone says wildlife, I know they really mean wild life!!!

Oldham County does have quite a lot of game for the suburbanish area that it has become. There are many broods of wild turkeys, some to drink too. The deer are too thick, we even have a striped kitty in our neighborhood as well as a few in the courthouse in LaGrange. I can't say that I have seen a quail in Oldham County since I have been here, yet I know the rabbit population is excellent considering the number of coyotes. Heck, there are actually at least two herds of buffalo that I know of in the county, too.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:22 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,426,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Hey, Davart! I know how faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar west in Kentucky you are!!!!

I grew up and spent the first 2/3 of my life in Western Kentucky Coal Fields, so when someone says wildlife, I know they really mean wild life!!!
Are you stalking me?

I'm far west of the coal fields, a stones throw to the Mississippi River.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:55 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,310,863 times
Yes, I know the purchase..

Old 07-20-2008, 03:50 PM

14 posts, read 36,719 times
I see others have answered already but just had to chime in that yes we have seen quite a bit of wildlife considering the close proximity to development. We have 5 acres on a small lake just outside of La Grange. We've been at our present location a bit over 6 years now. I've seen lots of deer but not a ridiculous amount. There are quite a few that live between the north and south bound lanes of I71 and that has been problematic. At some point something is going to have to be done for the safety of the motorist.

Here on our property we have families of wild rabbit, wood chuck and raccoons that come back year after year. On the lake there are heron and families of geese as well as the usual turtles and frogs. We also have some kind of strange critter that looks like a beaver but isn't. We've heard the coyotes though I've never seen them. We've also seen moles, chipmunks, possum, skunks, squirrels and plenty of birds including cardinals, blue jays, hummingbirds, woodpeckers, owls and this aqua fluorescent colored bird that I can never recall the name of. We have nest all over the barns.

Old 07-22-2008, 05:36 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,078,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savvywoman View Post
aqua fluorescent colored bird that I can never recall the name of. We have nest all over the barns.
Could that be an indigo bunting? Is a woodchuck the same as a gopher?

Old 07-22-2008, 05:44 AM

153 posts, read 538,134 times
sounds like a blue huron?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area