Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 08:40 AM

195 posts, read 972,780 times

Advertisements

I've never been to Louisville, but I've heard great things from friends who have..

Anyone who lives there, I'd like to hear what you like best about your city please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 10:11 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,314,005 times
Every person who responds to your post will likely have a different asset, but I feel the number 1 asset of the Louisville area (I lived there, now next door in Oldham County) is the people. Most people still will acknowledge you, they will let you into traffic, will open a door for you no matter what color, sex, or age you are. Most of the people of this area will respect you as a fellow. Just come here and be part of the fun. It's our town, but we'll let you join simply by returning the same courtesies and respect we will give you. Then it can become your town, too. Welcome neighbor!

Old 06-10-2009, 10:50 AM

648 posts, read 1,641,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Every person who responds to your post will likely have a different asset, but I feel the number 1 asset of the Louisville area (I lived there, now next door in Oldham County) is the people. Most people still will acknowledge you, they will let you into traffic, will open a door for you no matter what color, sex, or age you are. Most of the people of this area will respect you as a fellow. Just come here and be part of the fun. It's our town, but we'll let you join simply by returning the same courtesies and respect we will give you. Then it can become your town, too. Welcome neighbor!
Is it a good place to raise small children? I am also thinking of moving there and I have a 2year old.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:07 PM

5 posts, read 14,865 times
I moved to Louisville about a year ago and I love it here. There are so many great things to do as a family here. You can check out the Slugger museum, watch a baseball game, spend the day at Waterfront park (or the metroparks), go to the nearby Mammoth cave, ect. I think this would be a great city to raise a two year old. You would just want to check out the different areas first to find the better schools. The East End of Louisville is very safe, quite, and has a small town feel.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:39 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,052,779 times
I love the rolling hills of Jefferson and Oldham County, river, creeks, streams, waterfalls - how green everything is and how quiet and peaceful our neighborhood is. I live in prospect and I can turn right out of my subdivision onto Highway 42 and Covered Bridge Road and within a few minutes drive past many beautiful horse farms and properties - or I can turn left and be on River Road in less than 5 minutes or arrive at the Summit shopping center in less than 15 minutes - shopping and services are close and abundant. The airport is very nice and fairly close....St. Matthews and the Highlands are great places to shop and hang out - 20 to 25 minutes away....lots to choose from - quiet nature to the hustle and bustle, fun shopping and great restaurants of the historic neighborhoods and downtown. Downtown is close and full of a large variety of interesting places to visit and experience. You can drive to Atlanta, Asheville, Chicago or Washington DC in a day or less.

Old 06-13-2009, 05:54 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,314,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbogdan81 View Post
Is it a good place to raise small children? I am also thinking of moving there and I have a 2year old.
There are some great places to raise a kid in all of Kentucky. The best way to illustrate this is the town of Hartford's long running slogan: Home of 2000 happy people, and a few soreheads" Same for raising a kid in KY.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:31 AM

69 posts, read 203,350 times
I've only lived here a couple of weeks, but the people I have met so far have been very nice and friendly and accommodating.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:27 PM

45 posts, read 113,410 times
I'm 38 years old and my husband and I have lived here all our lives (except during college days). We also have a 2-year old and, ironically, my birthplace is Grand Rapids. We actually live just across the Ohio River in Southern Indiana in a small town perched up in the hills, Floyds Knobs, Indiana. We love it here--we enjoy the "small town" feel combined with great schools, lots of space between our neighbors yet we can get to downtown Louisville faster than most of our friends actually living in Louisville. There are so many things to love about Louisville, but our favorites include--obviously the DERBY which becomes a near religion in the weeks leading up to the big event as well as the downtown that has undergone impressive improvements over the past 10-15 years. There are great trails along the waterfront, which are being expanded. There are all of the amenities of a big city but without being "too" big or suffering from terrible congestion & traffic (though there is the regular rush hour traffic but nothing along the scales of major cities).

I don't want to be a downer but we are currently considering a relocation and are very aware first-hand of the importance of becoming familiar with an area's pro's and con's. So here are some con's you should be aware of. It's very hot in the summers with high humidity. Louisville is the current reigning allergy capital in the nation. My son and I suffer terribly and this is why we are considering moving. He's 2 1/2 and has been through 2 sets of tubes, allergy testing and shots (3/week for several mos. and now down to 1/week + 3 meds. daily), and is scheduled to have his adenoids removed this coming week. We're going to monitor his progress over the next few months following this surgery and, if he continues to be chronically ill, we will probably move in 2010 to a more allergy-friendly place (outside of the midwest).

So if you like the heat & no-one in your family suffers from allergies, Louisville may be a great place to call home. However, I will warn you that several of our friends who relocated here from elsewhere (northern IN or Chicago for example) weren't aware they had allergies before moving here but quickly learned that they did. Other friends w/allergies who have moved elsewhere tell us that upon their return all their symptoms resume immediately. I never knew how much of an issue this seemingly minor issue could be until I moved 3 hours north for 4 years to attend grad.school and was amazingly shot free, symptom free, and virtually never got sick. Then I returned home...

If you do decide to give Louisville a closer look (and aside from the allergies/heat I'd recommend it), be sure to check out Southern Indiana due to the convenient proximity, more house for your $$, and there are some great schools if you look carefully. I work for the school system and can tell you that in particular the Floyds Knobs schools are great (parent reviews, state assessments, great teachers, and very involved parents). As is the case in most places, though, you'll pay a higher price for a home since it's in a sought-after school district. Good luck with your search!

Old 06-13-2009, 09:29 PM

45 posts, read 113,410 times
windfarmer, sorry I forgot to answer your ? about raising families...yes, I think Louisville and the surrounding areas are great for families and there's lots to do for small children. We have annual passes for the Louisville Zoo & the Lsvl. Science Center. You'll never run out of things to do here.

Old 06-14-2009, 06:00 AM

Location: Back in Melbourne.....home of road rage and aggression
402 posts, read 1,160,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerbyFever View Post
I'm 38 years old and my husband and I have lived here all our lives (except during college days). We also have a 2-year old and, ironically, my birthplace is Grand Rapids. We actually live just across the Ohio River in Southern Indiana in a small town perched up in the hills, Floyds Knobs, Indiana. We love it here--we enjoy the "small town" feel combined with great schools, lots of space between our neighbors yet we can get to downtown Louisville faster than most of our friends actually living in Louisville. There are so many things to love about Louisville, but our favorites include--obviously the DERBY which becomes a near religion in the weeks leading up to the big event as well as the downtown that has undergone impressive improvements over the past 10-15 years. There are great trails along the waterfront, which are being expanded. There are all of the amenities of a big city but without being "too" big or suffering from terrible congestion & traffic (though there is the regular rush hour traffic but nothing along the scales of major cities).

I don't want to be a downer but we are currently considering a relocation and are very aware first-hand of the importance of becoming familiar with an area's pro's and con's. So here are some con's you should be aware of. It's very hot in the summers with high humidity. Louisville is the current reigning allergy capital in the nation. My son and I suffer terribly and this is why we are considering moving. He's 2 1/2 and has been through 2 sets of tubes, allergy testing and shots (3/week for several mos. and now down to 1/week + 3 meds. daily), and is scheduled to have his adenoids removed this coming week. We're going to monitor his progress over the next few months following this surgery and, if he continues to be chronically ill, we will probably move in 2010 to a more allergy-friendly place (outside of the midwest).

So if you like the heat & no-one in your family suffers from allergies, Louisville may be a great place to call home. However, I will warn you that several of our friends who relocated here from elsewhere (northern IN or Chicago for example) weren't aware they had allergies before moving here but quickly learned that they did. Other friends w/allergies who have moved elsewhere tell us that upon their return all their symptoms resume immediately. I never knew how much of an issue this seemingly minor issue could be until I moved 3 hours north for 4 years to attend grad.school and was amazingly shot free, symptom free, and virtually never got sick. Then I returned home...

If you do decide to give Louisville a closer look (and aside from the allergies/heat I'd recommend it), be sure to check out Southern Indiana due to the convenient proximity, more house for your $$, and there are some great schools if you look carefully. I work for the school system and can tell you that in particular the Floyds Knobs schools are great (parent reviews, state assessments, great teachers, and very involved parents). As is the case in most places, though, you'll pay a higher price for a home since it's in a sought-after school district. Good luck with your search!
Excellent reply!

Unfortunately, it is true: humidity can be bad, and I think it only makes allergies worse. I've always had allergies and allergy related asthma. When I was little there was nothing to be done for asthma attacks except to will yourself to be calm, or get thee to the doctors office (or ER if at night) and get a nice shot of adrenaline. of course then they were scraping you off the walls for about 3 days after. When the fast acting prescribed inhalers first came out, we were like Oooohhhhh woooooooowwwwww! because they were like liquid gold! (Might as well have BEEN liquid gold, at $45 a pop!)

I moved to Tennessee for about 2 years in my late 20's and suddenly, I was hardly ever using my inhalers. the same one would last me 2-3 months--except when I went home, when I'd go through them in no time at all.

Moved to Australia, and I swear I get refills about twice a year, tops. When I go home to Louisville for a visit, I will go through at least 2 full inhalers while there.

I blame it on Louisville being in the infamous Ohio Valley. Pollution, humidity and subsequent smog just aren't able to move out quick enough, I guess.

That aside, I think Louisville is pretty well rounded. Unless you are a beach bunny who can't imagine life without sand in ever pair of shoes, or a mountain goat and can't imagine not being in the clouds, Louisville has pretty much everything.

Just be sure you do your research and choose the location/are of Louisville that would be best for your and your family. And don't forget Southern Indiana--it's just right across the bridge and I always just consider it part of Louisville. A lot of folks do, which is why the general area is termed as Kentuckiana.

Cheers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area