Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2009, 02:33 PM

7 posts, read 17,529 times

Advertisements

Hello! Ive been living in Louisville for a little while now and I live in St. Matthews and really love this area. My husband and I are looking at buying a house in the St. Matthews area but when we are searching online, we keep coming up with homes in Crescent Hill/St Matthews. So..I have been trying to figure out where exactly the borders of Crescent Hill are and whats there? Also, Ive been in the Lyndon area some and it at least somes to me that is it a bit like an older, less expensive St. Matthews? If you have any info you could give me on Lyndon as well I would appreciate it. I am concerned about crime levels as well compared to St Matthews which we have been pretty happy with. Any experiences with these areas or insights on them? We love the small-town feeling of St Matthews but also being such a short drive or walk to many things, including Brown park and Target!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 02:38 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
Crescent Hill: the area in the old Louisville City Limits along Frankfort Ave. It extends from the border of the city of St Matthews west to Ewing Ave. It's northern boundary is Brownsboro Rd and it's southern border is roughly I-64

Lyndon: an independent city in Northeastern Jefferson County. It's boundaries are roughly Shelbyville Rd to the South, Hurstbourne Pky to the East, I-264 to the West, and Westport Road or Goose Creek to the North.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:44 PM

209 posts, read 738,960 times
This map is not terribly user-friendly or clear, but with a little clicking and thinking you can see St Matthews's odd boundaries - and Crescent Hills' and Lyndon's, too, if you click in those areas.

St. Matthews, Kentucky Zip Code Boundary Map (KY)

Old 10-13-2009, 03:06 PM

We have lived in St Matthews for four years and love it. Safe, walkable, friendly, quiet, close to beautiful parks, close to great local shops and bars and restaurants, close to downtown, close to the Frankfort Ave vibe...just perfect. You know, every week I check the little zone-by-zone crime reports and ours averages about four stolen bikes, a tv, and a nuisance call a year.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:06 PM

Default thanks!

Wow, thank you for the quick response! Im seeing now where the boundaries are. Can you tell me, as far as crime, lifestyle, ect what are the differences between St. Matthews, Lyndon, and Crescent Hill. As I said before, I live in St. Matthews and love it but am house shopping and wondering how these areas compare. Thank you again!

Old 10-15-2009, 09:02 AM

According to Sperling's Best Places, St. Matthews is the safest of the three; Lyndon is second, CH the worst. CH is the densest, most varied, and, well, most interesting, especially architecturally, of the three. St Matthews is the most livable to me, but that's because I live here! Lyndon is the most suburban feeling, which is not my style. SM is a first-ring suburb now part of Metro Louisville (though it has a small government and police dept of its own - and tiny extra taxes. We pay 320 bucks a year. A bargain.) As far as lifestyle, SM was described to us once as "The place for starters and enders" - young, small families and retirees. CH is more bohemian and sometimes working class. Lyndon... well, they're near the big malls. That should tell you something. (Am I letting my prejudices show?) SM is also the wealthiest, and probably most expensive, according to this excellent site:Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 11-19-2009 at 05:14 AM..

Old 10-15-2009, 09:48 AM

If you live in St Matthews, you shop at Clodhoppers or Blink, have a cone at Graeter's or Homemade Pie, pick up some groceries at Paul's or Rainbow Blossom. At night you go to Gerstle's or BBC or the Diamond or Dutch's.

If you live in Crescent Hill, you browse Charmichael's bookstore, hang out at Heine Bros Coffee, look through Margaret's, get good wine advice at the Wine Rack. At night you hang out at Maido.

If you live in Lyndon, you go to the mall. At night you go to a sports bar.

I'm having fun. I hope there's no one here from Lyndon to tell me I'm full of it!

Old 10-15-2009, 01:16 PM

Great! Thank you....that was exactly what I was looking for. Also...louroclou..after you mentioned the zone-by-zone crime reports I found Metrowatch tool online....what a great tool! Also, I just HAVE to add one little place to your list for St. Matthews...Plehns!

Old 10-15-2009, 02:55 PM

Ohhhhhh....yesssss... Grab some of their totally awesome almond macaroons!!!

Old 12-06-2009, 11:37 PM

16 posts, read 51,073 times
Wow, generalize much? While, technically, I don't live in Lyndon, if I threw a baseball from my backyard it would land there. Within 5 minutes I can be at Whole Foods, Rainbow Blossom, The Fresh Market or Paul's. Also within 5 minutes is Limestone, Furlong's, Shiraz, Bombay Grill, India Palace, Bristol's, Bruster's, Homemade Pie, Heitzman's Bakery & Deli, Napa River Grill, Wild Eggs, Graeter's and the YMCA. If I'm feeling particularly wild and crazy I might spend an extra 5 minutes to go to BBC or Corbett's. I'm not from Louisville and it kills me how snobbish people from SM and CH are about the east end suburbs. Hello? The 'burbs are your next door neighbors. It's not like in some cities where I'd have to drive 55 minutes or more to be where you are. Plus, last time I checked, one of those awful malls was called Mall St. Matthews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area