Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2007, 01:04 PM

7 posts, read 49,355 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I just accepted a job at U of L and will be relocating to Louisville in August.

I understand that the area around campus isn't that great, so what areas would you recommend for renting a good 1 or 2 bedroom apartment? And what should I expect to pay as far as rent?

thanks guys...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2007, 01:23 PM

117 posts, read 518,277 times
The areas East and North of campus are nice, the areas South and West are kind of gritty.

Most U of L students or faculty live either in Old Louisville or along Eastern Parkway in Germantown or the Highlands. I would say $500 to $425 could get a nice one to two bedroom apartment.

Neighborhood Info, see:
Old Louisville - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Bradley, Louisville - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Schnitzelburg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Germantown, Louisville - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-14-2007, 02:20 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas3000 View Post
Hey guys,

I just accepted a job at U of L and will be relocating to Louisville in August.

I understand that the area around campus isn't that great, so what areas would you recommend for renting a good 1 or 2 bedroom apartment? And what should I expect to pay as far as rent?

thanks guys...
The area around campus is called Old Louisville, and is the largest colection of Victorian mansions in the US.
There are some very wealthy, restored homes, and some not so nice ones. It is a mixed income area and overall pretty safe, although the area has been noted for mostly petty crimes like car break ins. Still, I would never call it a "bad area." As long as you are east of 7th street you are fine. I would choose between Old Louisville, downtown, Germantown, or the Highlands. All areas are just minutes away from campus. The Highlands is the most "upscale" but you will pay for it. The area of Southern Parkway south of the Watterson is also a nice area, and a few liberal type professors own homes there. In between the Watterson and campus is Churchill Downs, and this area is a little run down, but not dangerous or antything.

Old 06-14-2007, 02:47 PM

117 posts, read 518,277 times
Old Louisville is a large neighborhood, so there are some sections safer than others.

The best/ safest areas are:
1. St James/ Belgravia Courts- This area is great, quiet, and by far the safest in OL. There are a few houses divided into apartments, based on he signs $400 could get a one bedroom. Fountain Court also has several nice apartment buildings.

Pictures of this area:
Image:Picture 2000.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (St James Court)
Image:Picture 1994.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Belgravia Court)
Image:Picture 2004.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Fountain Court)

2. 2nd and 3rd Streets south of Magnolia Street - nice area, lots of college students

Areas to avoid:
1. North of Lee Street, South of Hill Street, West of 4th Street. Lots of government housing and slum lords here. Every now and then there are shootings, robberies, and the like

2. North of Magnolia- not gentrified to the level asf the rest of the neighborhood

Old 06-15-2007, 08:45 AM

7 posts, read 49,355 times
thanks so much for the insight guys!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area