Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 03:39 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbuskidd92 View Post
Well,you probably can make a good debate with Savannah and Columbus being in the same tire in Georgia.

Savannah,GA MSA-364,840. Up 17,229 from 2010.
(Savannah-Hinesville-Fort Stewart,GA CSA-446,704. Up 21,176 from 2010.)

Columbus,GA-AL MSA-306,453. Up 11,588 from 2010.
(Columbus-Auburn-Opelika,GA-AL CSA-474,850. Up 18,286 from 2010.)

GMP
Savannah-13,200,000,000
Columbus-12,300,000,000
http://usmayors.org/metroeconomies/0712/FullReport.pdf

Urban areas
Savannah-260,677
Columbus-253,602
List of United States urban areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yes, definitely those two; I wouldn't disagree there. But you guys generally include Augusta in the same tier which is definitely larger on all counts and is best tiered with neighboring metros with over 500K in population IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownMacon478 View Post
Whatever, I'm not about to go back and forth with you; There is no one in their right mind with knowledge of both Macon and Florence would agree with you; the're peer cities......
I hate to break it to you dude, but Macon and Florence are definitely peers on most counts. Macon is a little larger and has a little more, but not by much at all. Macon is closer to the top of the totem pole, but they are both on the same pole nonetheless. Similar MSAs, similar GDP, similar infrastructure, similar amenities, etc.

Quote:
Macon has always been compared to Augusta, Chattanooga, Columbia, Charleston, Knoxville, Greenville and Columbus as comparable size cities.
Macon has always been compared to the other second-tier cities in GA, but Macon is NOT similar in size to Chattanooga, Columbia, Charleston, Knoxville, and Greenville. The stats are pretty clear on this one:

Macon
MSA: 232,920
CSA: 404,668
Urbanized area: 137,570
GDP: $7.5 billion

Columbia
MSA: 777,116
CSA: 814,837
Urbanized area: 549,777
GDP: $32.0 billion

Charleston
MSA: 682,121
CSA: N/A
Urbanized area: 548,404
GDP: $28.0 billion

Greenville
MSA: 647,401
CSA: 1,281,394
Urbanized area (including neighboring suburban Mauldin-Simpsonville): 521,069
GDP: $26.1 billion

Chattanooga
MSA: 533,372
CSA: 702,714
Urbanized area: 381,112
GDP: $21.2 billion

Knoxville
MSA: 704,500
CSA: 1,063,354
Urbanized area: 558,696
GDP: $29.8 billion

So let's see...the smallest of these metros, Chattanooga, has an MSA over twice the size, a CSA with 300K more, an urbanized area well over twice the size, and a GDP almost three times the size as Macon. But you'd have us believe that ALL of these metros are of similar size to Macon? Man, pass that kush!!!!!!!

Quote:
In some studies; it has even been compared with Jacksonville, Fl. Florence is not even a peer city for Warner Robins let alone Macon. Warner Robins Pop. 66,588 with is nearly doubled that of Florence.
You can compare any two cities, that doesn't mean they are peers or of comparable size. You expect us to believe that Macon and Jacksonville are peers just because it made an appearance on MetroJacksonville.com????

And obviously city populations don't mean a whole lot when it comes to determining which cities are peers. Do you honestly think that Warner Robbins and Greenville, SC are peers because their city populations are the same? Do you think that Jacksonville and Charlotte are in a higher league than Atlanta because they have larger city populations???????

Quote:
In this recent article it listed cities such as Chattanooga, Tenn.; Asheville, N.C.; and Greenville, S.C., as cities similar in size to Macon that achieved ambitious redevelopment plans.

Read more here: NewTown looks to future downtown Macon projects | Local & State | Macon.com
They were being a bit liberal with the term "similar in size." In the grand scheme of things, of course Macon is closer to those cities than Atlanta or Houston. But a blind person could see that Greenville and Chattanooga in particular are significantly larger than Macon (Asheville is around the same size, though).

Old 01-01-2013, 01:07 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
I would have to respectfully disagree by just looking at emporis.. I'm not including the Medical District either into the equation.
Let me put it this way: Of the four, Macon's skyline is the only one with a major interstate passing through it. And it is attractive coming into town on i-16 with Mercer looming over the city. Augusta and Savannah may have taller buildings, but they're not as visible to those just passing through. And of course, Columbus' tallest building isn't even downtown.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:54 AM

242 posts, read 340,922 times
Macon has always been compared to the other second-tier cities in GA, but Macon is NOT similar in size to Chattanooga, Columbia, Charleston, Knoxville, and Greenville. The stats are pretty clear on this one:.

Macon is very similar to Chattanooga, Columbia, Charleston, Knoxville, and Greenville; No matter how you put it or disagree That's why in all professional studies or comparisons done on Macon or mid size cities in the south has always considered Macon as a comparable size city to Chattanooga, Columbia, Charleston, Knoxville, and Greenville as well as Columbus, Augusta and Savannah because they have very similar infrastructure, similar amenities, etc. Even though some of these cities may have a larger metro pop, or larger economic numbers than Macon; they all are all more similar than different.... I visited Greenville and Chattanooga several times and have done lots of research on most of these cities and none of them really don't have much more to say they are in a different league than Macon. If you asked someone from a larger city such as Atlanta or similar they all would consider Chattanooga, Columbia, Charleston, Knoxville, and Greenville similar to Macon. Its so funny to see how a lot of people on here try to put down or outcast Macon; and then try to play victim when people like me speak up for Macon and Obviously it's the same little circle of people. When I post in defence of Macon its not to persuade or feel as everyone has to agree with me but I'm not about to let anyone be little or bash Macon as if it's less important than any of these other mid size cities. Macon serves a Economic Hub to central Ga and has a draw pop of over 700,000 in 28 counties surrounding area; It has it own TV/media Market with a substantial number of local television and radio stations; Over 30,000 college students live in the greater Macon area with Mercer, Macon State, and Wesleyan College having the largest populations of traditional college students. Georgia College & State University has a "Center for Graduate and Professional Learning" in Downtown Macon; Macon has the multi-purpose arena and convention centre which hosts lot of major events, conventions, concerts and other things that's also host in the cities mentioned above. Macon has very large medical present as well as having the 2nd larger Medical Faculty in the state of GA. Macon is very comparable and are peer to any of these cities whether you like it or choose to agree or not.

You guys are ridiculous always trying to down play or bash Macon.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:56 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,039,197 times
Quote:
Macon is very similar to Chattanooga, ... Knoxville, and Greenville; No matter how you put it or disagree That's why in all professional studies or comparisons done
Ok, lets compare these cities. This data is available to you right on this site.

Median income:
Chatanooga - $35,333.
Knoxville - $31,898.
Greenville - $37,383.
Macon - $26,760.
So, based on those numbers, Macon has the lowest income.

Bachelor degree or better
Chattanooga - 21%.
Knoxville - 24.6%.
Greenville - 34.2%.
Macon - 17.2%.
So, based on those numbers, Macon has a lower number of residents with degrees.

Building permits
Chatanooga - 202.
Knoxville - 167.
Greenville - 66.
Macon - 20.
So, based on those numbers, Macon has less construction going on.

City-Data crime rating
Chatanooga - 545.1.
Knoxville - 557.3.
Greenville - 373.5.
Macon - 664.
So, based on those numbers, Macon has a higher crime rating.

So, in summation, Macon could be compared with those other cities ... if one wanted to see just how poor of a city it was. Based on those comparisons the residents of Macon are poorer, less educated, have less construction and more crime.
(And here I thought you were promoting Macon)

Old 01-01-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
Ok, lets compare these cities. This data is available to you right on this site.

Median income:
Chatanooga - $35,333.
Knoxville - $31,898.
Greenville - $37,383.
Macon - $26,760.
Consolidated Macon Median household income $37,975

Bachelor degree or better
Chattanooga - 21%.
Knoxville - 24.6%.
Greenville - 34.2%.
Macon - 17.2%.
Consolidated Macon Bachelor's degree or higher, percent of persons age 25+ 22.6%

Building permits
Chatanooga - 202.
Knoxville - 167.
Greenville - 66.
Macon - 20.
Consolidated Macon Building permits 308.

City-Data crime rating
Chatanooga - 545.1.
Knoxville - 557.3.
Greenville - 373.5.
Macon - 664.
So, based on those numbers, Macon has a higher crime rating.

So, in summation, Macon could be compared with those other cities ... if one wanted to see just how poor of a city it was. Based on those comparisons the residents of Macon are poorer, less educated, have less construction and more crime.
(And here I thought you were promoting Macon)
Well I hate to burst your bashing bubble but Macon is a consolidated city now which includes bibb co. Stats let me update them for you.

Old 01-01-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Well I hate to burst your bashing bubble but Macon is a consolidated city now which includes bibb co. Stats let me update them for you.
Can you link those stats?

Old 01-01-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
Can you link those stats?
I will leave that task up to you since you are such a comparison expert

Old 01-01-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
I will leave that task up to you since you are such a comparison expert
So you post some numbers and cannot back them up? Even Wiki tells the same story, when you compare the associated counties. Bibb is in last place in all similar stats.

Show me your data.

Old 01-01-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Macon has always been compared to the other second-tier cities in GA, but Macon is NOT similar in size to Chattanooga, Columbia, Charleston, Knoxville, and Greenville. The stats are pretty clear on this one:.

Macon is very similar to Chattanooga, Columbia, Charleston, Knoxville, and Greenville; No matter how you put it or disagree That's why in all professional studies or comparisons done on Macon or mid size cities in the south has always considered Macon as a comparable size city to Chattanooga, Columbia, Charleston, Knoxville, and Greenville as well as Columbus, Augusta and Savannah because they have very similar infrastructure, similar amenities, etc. Even though some of these cities may have a larger metro pop, or larger economic numbers than Macon; they all are all more similar than different.... I visited Greenville and Chattanooga several times and have done lots of research on most of these cities and none of them really don't have much more to say they are in a different league than Macon. If you asked someone from a larger city such as Atlanta or similar they all would consider Chattanooga, Columbia, Charleston, Knoxville, and Greenville similar to Macon. Its so funny to see how a lot of people on here try to put down or outcast Macon; and then try to play victim when people like me speak up for Macon and Obviously it's the same little circle of people. When I post in defence of Macon its not to persuade or feel as everyone has to agree with me but I'm not about to let anyone be little or bash Macon as if it's less important than any of these other mid size cities. Macon serves a Economic Hub to central Ga and has a draw pop of over 700,000 in 28 counties surrounding area; It has it own TV/media Market with a substantial number of local television and radio stations; Over 30,000 college students live in the greater Macon area with Mercer, Macon State, and Wesleyan College having the largest populations of traditional college students. Georgia College & State University has a "Center for Graduate and Professional Learning" in Downtown Macon; Macon has the multi-purpose arena and convention centre which hosts lot of major events, conventions, concerts and other things that's also host in the cities mentioned above. Macon has very large medical present as well as having the 2nd larger Medical Faculty in the state of GA. Macon is very comparable and are peer to any of these cities whether you like it or choose to agree or not.

You guys are ridiculous always trying to down play or bash Macon.
Your problem is that you think that someone is bashing or downplaying Macon by appropriately categorizing it. I have absolutely no reason to bash Macon at all and I'm definitely not part of some "same little circle of people." I'm sorry, but I've presented all the stats necessary to show that Macon is clearly in a lower tier than the cities mentioned. Is the difference between Macon and Columbia, Charleston, Greenville, Knoxville, and Chattanooga astronomical? No, but it is quite significant. And professional studies for cities typically include larger cities as benchmarks; that doesn't mean they are peer cities. A big report in the AJC about a year or so ago compared Atlanta to Charlotte, Austin, Raleigh, etc.; are you going to sit here and tell me that this means that Atlanta is similar in size to those cities???????

Macon isn't a small country town in the middle of nowhere, but it's also not in the league the TN and SC large metros either. It just is what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon