Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 06:08 AM

2,427 posts, read 2,478,601 times

Advertisements

A rally to be held Downtown Macon to remove Confederate Statues. Will and should these actually be removed, there are state laws protecting them at this point...

Ellis: Rally to remove Macon Confederate statues set for Wednesday | The Telegraph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 12:23 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,373,915 times
Tear down the Cannonball House too!

Old 08-29-2017, 07:43 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,257,429 times
Ellis will never miss an opportunity to race bait and divide people. I personally don't give two hoots about the monuments--if the commission wants them gone...fine. Ellis, however, just can't help himself. Just like the Rosa Parks Square alcohol ban. If the event in Rosa Parks Square had been the Pan-African festival or a jazz and wine event, he wouldn't have cared, but it was that predominantly white craft beer festival so it must end. Just like Ellis didn't want consolidation because it would supposedly weaken the "black vote" whatever the heck that means. I didn't care about those monuments one bit and even leaned toward removing them, but since Hizzonour is pushing for it...heck no, not now. I will never support the Ellis bully machine. So sick of that divider and opportunistic fool. Can he seriously go away FOREVER?

Old 08-30-2017, 09:37 AM

70 posts, read 60,565 times
it wasnt just a white beer festival, it wasnt a minority owned business promoting it. if taking down the statues would make the black community stop all the killing crime & thug behavior have the kids in school act like they suppose to & get that education so they could be productive pieces of the community & not a burdon on the tax payers getting welfare then i would vote to take down the statues, but its not gonna solve the black community problems, & next thing you know they will want old glory taken down they are people who want want want but never give back to community. just take take.im not a racist i see what is happening

Old 08-30-2017, 09:56 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,262,592 times
And then everything will be OK, right?

Old 08-31-2017, 06:20 AM

2,427 posts, read 2,478,601 times
Former Macon Mayor Jack Ellis lead rally Yesterday with Parties from AME Churches from across the State to have Confederate Statues removed from Downtown Macon. Seems as though they are challenging whether local jurisdictions can legally do it.

Ellis urges Macon to move Confederate statues from downtown | The Telegraph

https://www.41nbc.com/2017/08/31/230408/

Old 09-20-2017, 05:14 PM

49 posts, read 65,221 times
Removing these monuments cuts both ways. On one hand, they're bold reminders of the past and current mindset regarding non-whites' place in society. On the other hand, they're bold reminders of the past and current mindset regarding non-whites' place in society. I can see why some elements want them to remain and others want them to removed. Thanks, Obama!

Old 09-20-2017, 09:49 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,102,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipspeed View Post
it wasnt just a white beer festival, it wasnt a minority owned business promoting it. if taking down the statues would make the black community stop all the killing crime & thug behavior have the kids in school act like they suppose to & get that education so they could be productive pieces of the community & not a burdon on the tax payers getting welfare then i would vote to take down the statues, but its not gonna solve the black community problems, & next thing you know they will want old glory taken down they are people who want want want but never give back to community. just take take.im not a racist i see what is happening

I really hate this "us" and "them" talk when it comes to race. "Us" Vs. "Them" should be law abiding citizens of any race who just want to live our lives in peace, raise a family, enjoy life, be able to work for a living, etc. Vs. criminals, scammers, deadbeats, etc. of any race.

Unfortunately, race will always be a main focal point, and con artists like Jack Ellis will always race bait to manipulate gullible people.

This issue we have with people making race a main focal point goes both ways though, and really, the "black community" didnt start it.

When you are told that you cant have certain rights, enter certain establishments, go to certain schools, etc. because of your skin color....of course this is going to make people think "Us" Vs. "Them" and it's stuck around since forever.

When it should be "Good" Vs. "Bad" people, guys like Jack Ellis are able to manipulate people using race as a factor. In other words, making many blacks feel they have to side with him since he's black, regardless of the issue.

As I said though, this goes both ways. I live on the Jones County line. I see lots rural white people in stores with Trump bumper stickers who probably scream the same conservative talking points, because they think that's what they have to do to prove they are "proud white American," yet they're in the stores using the same EBT benefits of the people they speak against lol.

So there are race baiters and gullible sheep on both sides. You probably aren't racist, but your post comes off that way. It comes off as if the "black community" are the only ones race baiting, falling for race baiting, leeching, but that's on all sides. We need to make this about "Productive, Law Abiding Citizens" Vs. "Criminals, Scammers, Leeches, etc" regardless of race.

Take me for an example. I'm black, but I can clearly see and acknowledge that Jack Ellis is a race baiter and scam artist. He didnt care anything about this until it became a topic on news outlets and he saw it as a way to get his name out there again.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:53 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
A rally to be held Downtown Macon to remove Confederate Statues. Will and should these actually be removed, there are state laws protecting them at this point...

Ellis: Rally to remove Macon Confederate statues set for Wednesday | The Telegraph
I don't think the people of this movement care what the law says. They are a hate group and are doing their thing. Best way to handle the situation is to ignore them and arrest the lawbreakers when they get violent and destructive like you would arrest any thug.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:58 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,102,358 times
I do, however, agree with the point some of you are making. It doesnt make me one bit of difference whether they are taken down or stay. It wont have any influence or change anything in my or any one else's life. There are much more important things to worry about. This is just something else to argue and divide over that really doesn't matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
View detailed profiles of: