Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 08:06 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,398,282 times

Advertisements

Oh, and what people bargain about is the trade in value of their old car, not the price of the new car so much. I'm sure some people do, but the sales people have more latitude when it comes to the trade in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 06:44 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,024,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardorynx View Post
Have not look into car insurance yet. What are some of the features that I need to look out for when deciding which insurance to go with?
As Megan noted, you can go on various insurance sites or call local offices to get ballpark quotes (Geico, American Family, State Farm, etc) for cars you are considering. You can give them the year/model info or if the dealer's ad lists the vin # give that for a more accurate quote. There will be state minimum requirements for liability, and you'd want to add comprehensive (covers incidents to your car from weather, theft, etc) and collision (if you cause an accident and damaged your car). If buying an older used car, collision could be skipped but if buying a newer one that is coverage you'd want. And if you would happen to have a loan on it collision could be required.
Being new here, it may be a good idea to either actually talk to some insurance companies (or perhaps others in the UW system who came to WI as well from other areas/countries) to see what else they may require since you haven't been insured here. Some (perhaps all) insurance companies run credit reports to also base policy costs and coverages on so that may come into play as well as one's driving record and the type of car purchased.
I'd suggest looking into insurance first so you know what all costs and needs could be, then once you have your driver's license go car shopping. And if you go out on Sundays, dealerships are closed so that can allow you to wander around at your convenience browsing the lots and making notes, then you can do some internet research on specific cars for their value and recommendations (kbb.com, edmunds.com) and if you narrow it down even use the dealership's internet site to request "internet pricing" and get the figures close before you even step foot on the lot to discuss it. That can save your time and hassle.

just my opinion.

Old 09-03-2014, 02:34 PM

15 posts, read 22,199 times
Can I check if anyone has any experience with Campus Cars? They are selling cars cheaper than those dealers we talked about previously. I'm having difficulty finding a car I want. Don Miller's side taking too long to respond to me. Been waiting for them to find me a Mazda3s. =(

Old 09-03-2014, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardorynx View Post
Can I check if anyone has any experience with Campus Cars? They are selling cars cheaper than those dealers we talked about previously. I'm having difficulty finding a car I want. Don Miller's side taking too long to respond to me. Been waiting for them to find me a Mazda3s. =(
if you are trying to find a specific used car, branded dealerships normally dont go out and get an exact used car to fill an order. Their inventory comes either in the form of trade-ins, or they pick something up at an area auction. So it is possible they could get something like you are looking for, but if it isn't on their lot "now" there could be a wait for one.

If the link below works, it is from "cars.com" and shows a search for used Mazda 3's in a 30 mile radius of Madison's east side. Over 40 listed. So perhaps try a search site like this to narrow down more options; especially if others here dont have any real info on Campus Cars. Also keep in mind, there may be a reason they are selling cars cheaper; I wont say if those are good or bad just something to research on.

Used Mazda Mazda3 - in 53718 - on Cars.com

Old 09-04-2014, 01:16 PM

Campus Cars is generally known to be a rip off. I've never shopped there, but that is what I've heard. If something seems too good to be true, be it car prices or rent prices, there is usually a reason.

Old 09-04-2014, 01:17 PM

Just found out that Smart Motors was sold to a Canadian company recently, so I don't know how they will do business in the future.

Old 09-04-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1967 View Post
Just found out that Smart Motors was sold to a Canadian company recently, so I don't know how they will do business in the future.
it is sort of funny/odd, dealers up here build nice new locations (both Smart and Lancaster did in the past 5-8 years for Toyota & Scion) and they then sell off their dealerships.....

Old 09-06-2014, 04:40 PM

Speaking about Lancaster, I found some used cars which I was keen in looking at. Any feedback on the dealership? It takes me almost 1.5 hours on public transport to get there, so I thought I better ask before spending time making the trip down.

Old 09-06-2014, 06:00 PM

On more question, I've found sth on craigslist which I am interested in but will need to bring the car to the mechanic to get it check out. Any recommendations for this? Where will be the best place to get a Mazda serviced?

Old 09-06-2014, 07:02 PM

I do not like Lancaster. A couple of years ago I went to them to get a new Rav4. They guy I worked with didn't offer me squat for my trade in (a 4 year old Prius) and offered me a really striped down model of Rav4 to fit in my budget.

I went to Smart and they gave me Blue Book for my trade in and a Rav4 with tons of features for the same price as Lancaster.

My mom told me Smart Motors was recently sold, but now she has back tracked and said it might have been Don Miller (who I also don't like). Worth it to check them out though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison