Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2016, 03:39 AM

9 posts, read 9,526 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I accepted a job in Madison, and will be moving my family there in the next 3 weeks. I still need to find a place to live and wanted to ask some questions. Mainly where should my family live?

I'll be working downtown, just west of the capital. I'd like to keep my commute to under ~25mins. Our main priorities for a place are the following:

-Safe neighborhood
-Activities for our kids (A 3yo and a newborn in July)
-3 bedrooms
-2 car garage
~2k/month for rent. Flexible on this as we need to find something very quickly
- ideally we would like a house. We live in an apartment currently, and with kids its difficult.

Any help or direction you can give would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Bubba
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2016, 11:46 AM

383 posts, read 392,525 times
I would look in the Verona, Fitchburg or Middleton area. Madison, though growing, is pretty small, so the commute time will never be too bad. Though I am currently living in St. Louis, I lived there for 13 years and had 3 kids there. It's just a fabulous community. I would love to go back. I notice your wife it having a baby very soon. I highly recommend Drs. Melius, Schurr and Cardwell. They delivered my kids, and they are just fabulous. UW on Park Street has great pediatricians, too. Try to find a relocation realtor to help you locate properties. Wish I knew a good one to recommend. Let me know if there are any more questions. Good luck!

Old 04-04-2016, 07:50 AM

1,261 posts, read 951,258 times
Working downtown, you'll have no trouble finding a place within a 25 minute commute. You may want to consider staying on the west side of Madison to make the commute shorter, but there are plenty of places on the east side that would be within your 25 minute commute window.

If you'd like to stay within the city, I'd look at the Midvale, and Hilldale areas (basically Midvale Boulevard north of the Beltline), or the Elvehjem neighborhood on the east side. All three are safe, have nice parks and nearby activities for kids. If you'd like a close suburb, I'd add Middleton, Monona and McFarland to the list. If you'd like to live further out, you could even look at Cottage Grove, which is more rural but is almost exactly a 25 minute commute from downtown. A 3-bedroom, 2 or 3 car garage duplex in Cottage Grove or McFarland runs around $1500 from what I've seen, so they'd be well within budget. Middleton is more expensive but you may be able to find a house in that range, and in Madison and Monona the housing stock will be older but you may also be able to find a house in that range.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:44 PM

9 posts, read 9,526 times
Thanks for the responses. We have started looking in Fitchburg, Middleton, and Hilldale areas.
It's proving difficult to find housing that is currently available to rent within our requirements. We have reached out to a few landlords so hopefully we will have something lined up this week.

gypsyjudy, thank you for the doctor recommendations. Once we have housing taken care of all of our efforts will go toward finding a doctor for my wife. Having some recommendations is helping us out a lot.

Old 04-07-2016, 11:17 AM

383 posts, read 392,525 times
You are welcome, bubbagti! Cannot recommend the drs enough. Ever think of a townhome? The subdivision I lived in bordering Fitchburg and Verona had some pretty nice townhomes bordering a big park. Our builder, Christopher homes built them. They were near Chavez school at PD and Maple Grove. Haven't lived there in 4 years but seems to still be a nice area and would be very convenient to downtown and a lot of amenities. I suggest you check that area out. Good luck.

Old 04-11-2016, 03:09 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,416,101 times
A lot of the local landlords around the Hilldale and near-campus areas barely advertise. They just put a sign out front. You may need to do a scouting trip to put some boots on the ground. Occupancy rates are generally low in the Madison area, so you're likely to face some challenges if you only do your search remotely, especially if your targeting a rental home and not an apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison