Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 09:35 AM

395 posts, read 1,861,570 times

Advertisements

I ride my bike all winter long. So I'm out there pedaling to work in subzero temps and windchills in the double digits below zero.

Dress in layers.

It sounds like cliche, but it's true.

A thermal undershirt and long johns. I call them my "Superman Layer." My secret weapon.

Middle layer, a wool sweater or fleece.

Outer layer, when biking, is a good windbreaker shell with plenty of ventilation. When not doing anything physical, I'll throw on a big poofy coat with a big hood.

A good pair of boots and a good pair of gloves are essential. If your feet and hands are cold, you will be miserable.

And, for the love of God, wear a hat. I see so many people walking around the cold without a hat on, becuase evidently they don't want to mess up their hair. A good hat is essential.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 09:25 PM

456 posts, read 1,397,176 times
Ok, ok... I'll wear a hat, for the love of God. lol.

Thanks for the great tips.

Old 12-21-2008, 01:49 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
I see that Madison is getting some sub-zero temperatures today. This would be a good time to share your experiences with various winter outerwear choices!

Old 12-21-2008, 07:02 PM

48 posts, read 178,639 times
Stop by Farm and Fleet, pick up a pair of Carhart insulated bib overalls. Under those, long johns, a pair of jeans in case you slip out of the bibs , long underwear shirt, long sleeved turtleneck, fleece zip up, neck gator, face mask covered by a Mountain HardWear hat (my new favorite! from REI). Down jacket over everything. Gloves and boots of your choice.

Or stay indoors for six months and go bonkers

Old 12-22-2008, 09:17 AM

395 posts, read 1,861,570 times
If you really want to get hardcore about it, try ski goggles. I wear a pair while biking on really cold days, like today. They keep your face nice and toasty.

Old 12-26-2008, 10:33 PM

62 posts, read 182,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1967 View Post
There is a reason I want to move to Austin, TX......
Being a former Texan and a Texas college student, I would just offer you one word of advice:

Take the total number of obnoxious drunken UW students you see every year, double them, then give them a sense of entitlement and make the parents of about 35% of them obscenely rich. Then distribute them in a cool city like Madison except make it a little more automobile-centric and then you have Austin. And they love George Bush there, too. Even today.

Oh yeah, and raise the temperature about 40 degrees. For some people that's enough of a reason to move.

Old 12-26-2008, 10:48 PM

62 posts, read 182,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subclavius View Post
Being a former Texan and a Texas college student, I would just offer you one word of advice:

Take the total number of obnoxious drunken UW students you see every year, double them, then give them a sense of entitlement and make the parents of about 35% of them obscenely rich. Then distribute them in a cool city like Madison except make it a little more automobile-centric and then you have Austin. And they love George Bush there, too. Even today.

Oh yeah, and raise the temperature about 40 degrees. For some people that's enough of a reason to move.
Oops-forgive me for not answering the original question. A lot of people use fleece in a layered clothing scheme. Because Madison is wedged between a lot of lakes the humidity tends to run high and during winter it seems like the cold can really stick to you. I used two levels of fleece, the thin tightly woven fleece when the winter wasn't too bad, and the thick unfinished fleece when things got a little nasty. That was always a layer under a winter coat or jacket.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,717 times
I live in Chicago and this winter we've had to deal with numerous days of subzero temperatures. I wear heated jackets, gloves, etc...that I found online earlier this winter [mod]link[/mod]. I get to control the temperature, allowing me to be comfortable no matter what the temperature. I would definitely consider getting them if I were you!

Last edited by Bo; 02-15-2009 at 08:19 AM.. Reason: Sorry, per the TOS members with fewer than 10 posts may not recommend sites or brands.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:02 AM

49 posts, read 131,676 times
Just had to comment.... I'm a Madison native who lives out west now (Northern Utah)..... and when I go back ti Madison in winter I'm wearing BLANKETS around myself in the house.

You just never get used to that kind of cold. Ever.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:45 AM

61 posts, read 191,522 times
This thread looks a bit old, but I'm too intrigued by a few comments that I must ask and see if I can get some answers (since I'm moving to Madison this summer).

Heated jackets??? Where do I find that! OMG. I think I'll be in love.

And, fleece/flannel lined denim? I've never even heard of that. Where do you find those? Are they at least cute? (I know, I may be asking for a lot)

For my 2cents, we get some sub-zero day/nights here in CO. My tips would include, always keeping your torso covered (a tucked in tank at the very least), having a coat (preferably down) that goes beyond your tooshie (if my bottom is warm, I'm several degrees happier), and it's crazy how that fur around the hood of a coat, which I always thought was just for show - actually has a function. It works like proxy eyelashes, and actually picks up flakes of snow diminishing the amount that hits you in the face.

Thanks everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison