Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 06:40 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,201,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
The Moody Mansion, has a good ring to it, for a stephen king book, like rose-red

the moody's in pittston have long been known to be squirrely, the place is probly haunted

but it is an intriguing place
It's too bad that many of these magnificent homes are located in places with virtually no tourist traffic potential. Many of them just eventually fall down and fade away. I can think about five right off the top of my head. Anyone know the history of the place?

I know a guy that bought one of these places in Aroostook county and ended up heating it with pellet stoves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 07:23 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
It's too bad that many of these magnificent homes are located in places with virtually no tourist traffic potential. Many of them just eventually fall down and fade away. I can think about five right off the top of my head. Anyone know the history of the place?

I know a guy that bought one of these places in Aroostook county and ended up heating it with pellet stoves.

An old place like that must have plenty of history

I searched on google- didnt find a great deal, im related to the first moody's that came to maine, so it is interesting to me,, I grew up not too far from that place, yet, never heard of it, til on here

Old 07-06-2011, 07:37 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,655,412 times
For some reason that place is familiar to me-never been to Pittston. I think I saw a feature on MPBN about it and it's history.When I looked at the pic it was immediate recognition.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:08 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,658,413 times
Would make a good summer home. I would winterize it and go to florida in the winter. Heating this place would not be an option.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:41 PM

40 posts, read 128,645 times
dogcrazy . . . keep the dream. I would suggest that you look into multi-units in places not far from Pittston such Richmond, Gardiner and up I-295. Many of these towns have very large, beautiful homes that have since been chopped up into rentals.

As such, you can get a mansion that provides immediate income that can be used to offset current expenses and future restoration projects. As you need the space you can simply restore one of the units and incorporate it into your living space. And as long as you owner-occupy, you are not subject to regular land-lording laws which provides the flexibility needed to restore the home to its former glory.

Good luck!

Old 07-11-2011, 08:55 AM

489 posts, read 1,211,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Would make a good summer home. I would winterize it and go to florida in the winter. Heating this place would not be an option.
That was my thought too. Maybe make it into a summer only (no matter what you guys say I know you must have some summer there) bed and breakfast providing you have customer potential.
Whenever I hear the name Moody, I think of Moody's Diner. Waldoboro, I think it was.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:35 AM

1,064 posts, read 2,033,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcrazy View Post
Does anyone know anything about this place?What about the area?
http://http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1135-E-Pittston-Rd_Pittston_ME_04345_M30929-43252# (broken link)

"I see young men, my townsmen, whose misfortune it is to have inherited farms, houses, barns, cattle, and farming tools; for these are more easily acquired than got rid of. Better if they had been born in the open pasture and suckled by a wolf, that they might have seen with clearer eyes what field they were called to labor in. Who made them serfs of the soil? Why should they eat their sixty acres, when man is condemned to eat only his peck of dirt? Why should they begin digging their graves as soon as they are born? They have got to live a man's life, pushing all these things before them, and get on as well as they can. How many a poor immortal soul have I met well-nigh crushed and smothered under its load, creeping down the road of life, pushing before it a barn seventy-five feet by forty, its Augean stables never cleansed, and one hundred acres of land, tillage, mowing, pasture, and woodlot! The portionless, who struggle with no such unnecessary inherited encumbrances, find it labor enough to subdue and cultivate a few cubic feet of flesh." -Henry David Thoreau

Old 07-13-2011, 05:42 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportFury59 View Post
Whenever I hear the name Moody, I think of Moody's Diner. Waldoboro, I think it was.
Is. I stop in for a bite any time I'm in the area. I've been eating there since the early '60s.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:37 PM

489 posts, read 1,211,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Is. I stop in for a bite any time I'm in the area. I've been eating there since the early '60s.
Wow, still there. I used to stop there in early '60s. Knew a gal from Waldoboro that used to come up to Rockland for the night life...(Thorndyke, Bayview, Oasis, Rockland Hotel(bar))

Old 10-24-2012, 10:36 AM

1 posts, read 1,861 times
My brother and sister-in-law purchased Moody Mansion Fall 2011.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine