Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 08:25 AM

336 posts, read 579,054 times

Advertisements

I have wanted to live in Maine for years but as I get older (66), I realize that I wouldn’t be able to handle the winter as an older single person. I’m thinking about a second home. I’d be looking to spend up to $200,000 - $225,000 preferably with lower property taxes. I don’t need much space, maybe 1000 - 1200sf. I’d like to live somewhat near to the coast. I’ve been thinking about Bath, Belfast, and Boothbay Harbor. I make handmade jewelry and would love more of an artsy town, but that’s not a must have. I’d love to live in Bar Harbor, but I don’t think that’s realistic. Being alone, I’d love a friendly and welcoming town.

Questions:

1. Town recommendations?
2. I live in Phoenix and would love to spend June through October in Maine. What do you do to the house before you leave?
3. I’d have to buy a second car and leave it there. It’s too far to drive, especially as I get older. Comments about leaving a 2nd car there the rest of the year without it being driven?

Any comments and advice would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 08:53 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,702,142 times
Envious of you but I'm with you. June-October in Maine if my goal someday. Lol.,,

Try Winter Harbor. It's somewhat artsy, has some potters, metal sculptor types, near Bar Harbor...

Old 02-13-2018, 10:01 AM

2,676 posts, read 2,629,828 times
Maybe a condo? Then you don't have to worry as much about winterizing. Good luck

Old 02-13-2018, 10:34 AM

133 posts, read 135,777 times
You might also want to check out Deer Isle and Stonington, both of which have small, active arts communities.

Old 02-13-2018, 10:00 PM

336 posts, read 579,054 times
Thanks to you all for your suggestions. I’ve thought about a condo. What needs to be done to them to winterize? I know nothing...

Old 02-14-2018, 06:09 PM

37,472 posts, read 61,423,512 times
There are a lot of people who live in Maine from Spring to Autumn. They 'winterize' their homes and go down to Georgia or Florida for the Winters.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:33 PM

12,475 posts, read 9,560,412 times
Hmmm, at minimum for the car, I'd say keep it in the garage, put in a generous amount of fuel stabilizer, buy a battery charger and pull the battery out and plan to charge it when you return.

For the house, I think at minimum you'd want to have a plumber pull the water meter and cap the line where it enters the basement, then crack all the faucets open a little so if any water in the line wants to expand, it can.

As far as security, these days you can get small mounted "smart cameras" that turn on when something interesting comes into range and post the video to the cloud through a WiFi router, then will send an alert to your cell phone to allow you to check the footage through a web browser. Look at Nest cam, for example - they make those for both indoor and outdoor mountings.

Old 02-14-2018, 08:20 PM

12,475 posts, read 9,560,412 times
In mid-coast Maine, I like Belfast, Camden, Rockport and Rockland. Belfast and Rockland are more affordable than the other two. You can find condos in your price range there. Here are a couple of listings for 2-bedroom condos in Rockland for example for $189K and $199K, and both will be new at least inside.

This one is in a restored Victorian hotel right down by all the downtown attractions and festivals (location is busy though). Parking is just an offstreet space in the lot - $189K.
https://www.camdenre.com/listing/1331938

This one is on the commercial strip outside the downtown, not as nice a location, but not bad, and it's very well built, and comes with a detached garage space - $199K.
https://www.camdenre.com/listing/1287336

Old 02-14-2018, 08:34 PM

37,472 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Hmmm, at minimum for the car, I'd say keep it in the garage, put in a generous amount of fuel stabilizer, buy a battery charger and pull the battery out and plan to charge it when you return.
There are fuel additives to keep the fuel from solidifying.

Quote:
... For the house, I think at minimum you'd want to have a plumber pull the water meter and cap the line where it enters the basement, then crack all the faucets open a little so if any water in the line wants to expand, it can.
A 'water meter'? You are thinking homes in the city, on municipal water systems.

Quote:
... As far as security, these days you can get small mounted "smart cameras" that turn on when something interesting comes into range and post the video to the cloud through a WiFi router, then will send an alert to your cell phone to allow you to check the footage through a web browser. Look at Nest cam, for example - they make those for both indoor and outdoor mountings.
So you would need to keep the power turned on and the phone service on. So the modem, router and wifi would all be working.

But then I am wondering, what about every time when these utilities go down? Our power lines go down every few weeks. Our phone ISP service drops a couple times a year.

Old 02-14-2018, 09:24 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,060,789 times
Have you looked into Lincolnville? I know Outdoor Magazine named it as a hot spot that artists, boat builders, entrepreneurs, etc. were moving to a few years back. It is north of Camden, south of Belfast and has more of a "country" feel to it. I would imagine it would be mid priced (more than Rockland or Belfast, less than Camden, etc.) but I am not sure of this.

Rockland does seem to have an up and coming downtown with lots of art galleries, but feels more like a large town. Actually seems to have the biggest downtown area of the surrounding communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine