Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 07:52 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Yes, but do MAINERS wear them? Can't have us looking like tourists again!!
es, im sure we do,,keep in mind,,we have an aging society,,so if these help to avoid slips abd falls,,,they will be worn!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 07:56 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,102,570 times
El, my MIL who is 80 wears them

ok, the trick is, and this sounds funny but you will learn it--some ice is more slippery than other ice....honest! for me it seems that the clearer the ice the more slippery it is...geez, I hope everyone else knows what the heck I'm talking about here or I'm going to look even more stupid than I did about the moving north comment!! lol Anyway, you will also learn how to step straight onto the ice, and not lead with your heel (hence the a** over teakettle fall) and when to take the little steps as opposed to taking the longer strides.

you will also learn the best part....when you can run, jump onto the ice and SLIDE! (without getting hung up and falling face first!) and that sliding is FUN! you'll get it

Old 11-26-2007, 08:54 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
good idea forest,,,i have some i put in the atv tires,,to grip the ice
Thanks, I use the hex head wood screws.

Old 11-28-2007, 01:17 PM

406 posts, read 1,654,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
I'm wondering about "snow tires" for my shoes! We did a lot of slipping and sliding while we were up there. Don't they make things for the bottom of your shoes?
YakTrax! Get em!

Old 11-28-2007, 01:56 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,655,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
As you desire.

If you cut and hauled away four cords for yourself; cut and stacked one cord for us; that would be fine too.

We have made the offer on Freecycle many times, but most folks want the wood already cut and stacked ready for them to just load it up. They don't want to cut it.
But where is the fun, exercise and fresh air in that?? I mean, here in town, in the southlands, I have to pay $40 a month to someone ELSE and all I get out of it is a place to go do work that accomplishes nothing but make me sweat (and hopefully burn a few extra calories), and a shower to wash off that sweat. LOL Much rather the sweat accomplishes something... and if it helps someone else too, more the better. Of course with the water/sewer rates I have to pay here, maybe the sweat is free and I am just paying for water somewhere else!

As long as you don't mind the sound of a chain saw, I'm good. I don't think I have it in me to put up a year's worth of wood for the Maine climate with only human-powered sawing (though I did that for several years in WA... but I was younger then.)

Old 11-28-2007, 03:19 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,384,753 times
I know a gent that went to a livestock auction and bought a full grown hog. He took the backseat out of his car and the hog rode half in the trunk half in the backseat... aaaaall the way home.

Old 11-28-2007, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
... As long as you don't mind the sound of a chain saw, I'm good.
It is the only way to keep the goats off of you.

They don't like the sound of an engine running.

Our buck has been getting randy lately.

Old 11-28-2007, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
I know a gent that went to a livestock auction and bought a full grown hog. He took the backseat out of his car and the hog rode half in the trunk half in the backseat... aaaaall the way home.

I brought home ten goats in the back of our stationwagon once.

While I drew some looks stopping for groceries, though I don't think that over-all it was an entirely un-usual sight.

I have gone into the VFW a few times with a goat or three in my car, they give me grief about it.

Old 11-28-2007, 03:38 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,384,753 times
forest,... you're a hoot!! (is the goats name "Randy" ? )

Last edited by msina; 11-28-2007 at 03:39 PM.. Reason: add

Old 11-28-2007, 04:49 PM

This guy is a Toggenburg-mix, someone tried to remove his horns but did not do a good job, his horns grew thin and curl tight, they are not useful in defense.

If you named him according to what I yell at him most often it would be: "Get away from me"

We were given this buck. A family had him as a pet for their grandchildren, they had kept him on a dog run on a trimmed lawn. Their grandchildren do not visit much anymore, and they realized that the guy has been spending more and more time by himself. He has never been able to socialize with other goats, and really seems to have seen himself as a dog.

When I first introduced him to our herd, the girls beat him up and chased him around. He was terrified of the girls for the first week.

We have been calling calling him: "the old buck"

In the last month, he has began to really stink and to do 'buck things'.

"Blub-blub-blub"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine